UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > A must watch
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

A must watch

Most of us at one time or another stuck our phone up in a hole. I usually do it with caution but never had what happened in this video happen until last night. Lets just say my woke me up.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...100001241562296

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2020 09:10 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Ha! Great video. I've never cared enough to know if there was a coon in a hole to stick my hand in there, lol. Thanks for sharing.

Old Post 05-15-2020 10:01 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

Lol. Good video!!

That was crazy!!

Old Post 05-15-2020 10:46 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Kirk NC
UKC Forum Member

That was crazy! Great video thanks for sharing.

National Hound And Tree Dog Association

Introductory Membership
http://nhtda.org/index.php/membership

Old Post 05-15-2020 11:53 PM
Jim Kirk NC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Kirk NC Click here to Send Jim Kirk NC a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Kirk NC Find more posts by Jim Kirk NC Add Jim Kirk NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

I was at a hunt one nite Whiskey had treed on a bottom up den. I laid on my back stuck my head in the hole to shine. A guy in the cast started yelling and yanked me out. He said what are you doing your gonna get snake bit. He was from Mississippi. I said well maybe but here in this part of OH it won't hurt much i'll take my chances.

Old Post 05-29-2020 12:13 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
I was at a hunt one nite Whiskey had treed on a bottom up den. I laid on my back stuck my head in the hole to shine. A guy in the cast started yelling and yanked me out. He said what are you doing your gonna get snake bit. He was from Mississippi. I said well maybe but here in this part of OH it won't hurt much i'll take my chances.

That's something we are fortunate we don't have to deal with! They can keep the snakes lol

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 05-29-2020 09:28 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Snakes

Lol. In some parts of the country snakes definitely hibernate in holes in trees. Check out Virginia's web site on Canebrake rattlesnakes and look at a Canebrske hibernating in a hollow tree. In snake country you do not stuck you hands or head in a hollow tree. Ohio and Indiania both have timber rattlesnakes despite some folks not knowing. Dave

Old Post 05-29-2020 10:20 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fireballs
Banned

wow

Old Post 05-29-2020 10:43 PM
Fireballs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireballs Click here to Send Fireballs a Private Message Click Here to Email Fireballs Find more posts by Fireballs Add Fireballs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Fireballs

Lol. Folks in Indiana and Ohio need to Google venomous snakes in their state and they can see the counties and the type of venomous snakes in those counties. While not abundant they are there, I dont know how many folks that live in Indiania and Ohio that think there are no venomous snakes in their state.Rattlesnakes are found in most states including WIsc. MINN., Iowa and other Northern Midwestern states. Ignorance is bliss for some folks, but knowledge is power for others. Dave

Old Post 05-29-2020 11:57 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

I live in South Texas. I know a guy that stuck his arm in a hole at the bottom of a tree. Rattlesnake bit him on the arm. He heard it rattle but it got him before he could get his arm out of the hole. You should have seen his arm. It was nasty

Old Post 05-30-2020 12:11 AM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Holes or hollow trees

Never know about a venomous spider or a venomous snake, rule of thumb is never put your hand anywhere that you can not see what's there. Dave

Old Post 05-30-2020 01:45 AM
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

rattlesnakes be hind my house in the Willard marsh wildlife area, north central ohio, see one every couple years farming most are little bigger than a foot but did see one over 3 foot many years ago

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 05-30-2020 12:24 PM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cheyenne

The snakes you are seeing are Massasauga rattlesnakes, they do not get over 3 foot long. There are also, timber rattlesnakes in Ohio that get much bigger than 3 feet. Massasauga rattlesnakes live in damp wet marshy places, timbers prefer Rocky hardwood forests. Dave

Old Post 05-30-2020 07:33 PM
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

Dave there is a den of them in a old well, I stay away from it. The one that was 3 foot plus was a timber rattler,

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 05-31-2020 12:04 PM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cheyenne

Yes, 3 foot is about max size for a Massasauga, while Timbers can grow to over 6 feet. You live in an area that has both obviously. Be careful timbers can actually forage or travel up to a mile or so from their den site. Dave

Old Post 05-31-2020 08:10 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Snakes/Indiania

A lot of folks just do not know that there are venomous snakes in Indiania. Example is Brown State Park where there are Timber rattlesnakes, there are no warning signs for visitors, yet they are there. I saw where a family had a pet dog bitten by s timber rattlesnake at Brown State Park and the dog died, the family had no idea that rattlesnakes were in that park. It could just as easy been a child bitten, signs warning people SHOULD be posted, but ARE NOT. Ignorance of venomous snakes can be very dangerous to unsuspecting folks at a park that has campgrounds, etc., but does NOT warn folks that Rattlesnakes are present. Dave. P. S. The park says there are signs warning, but visitors say they are not aware of rattlesnakes, the warning signs must be small Park Super says he don't want to scare visitors by stressing rattlesnakes are in the park.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-01-2020 at 11:27 PM

Old Post 06-01-2020 11:03 PM
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Dave these are some pics of my Rex dog from a years back, I was hunting around Brookville Lake in Brookville,In. Vet didn’t know what got him but these pics don’t do justice of how bad his leg swelled up, it got worse after these pics even.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 06-02-2020 07:02 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

jkidd

I remember when that happened, you post something on this forum. No doubt in my mind it was a snakebite to swell like that. Likely a copperhead, as I have seen several dogs get copperhead bit and their legs swell up nasty, but they recover. Rattlesnake bite is way more serious for a dog and would require antivenom. Don't let anyone tell you there are not venomous snakes around your parts. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-02-2020 at 06:38 PM

Old Post 06-02-2020 07:28 AM
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Dave, i'm well aware what OH has I cut trees for a living.Spend my whole life outdoors. You have to get to southern OH or close to PA to have to worry about that here.

Cheyenne I've always herd of them in the Muck. Yrs ago we cut a tree on Bullhead rd and a Massasauga came out of it. They claim there are rattlers in killdeer too i've never seen one.

Old Post 06-06-2020 01:03 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote