UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What do y’all think
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

What do y’all think

My Bluetick female is around 16 or 17 months. Got a question but i will tell you about her first. I started her by herself I dont have a broke dog. First time in the woods hunting she popped up treed on a den when the sun was coming up. Then After a handful of times trying to work a track she has treed twice with the meat and caught one on the ground. Sometimes she’s semi silent I shot the second one out that she treed she looked like I have shot 20 out to her. So my question is concerning her both times that she treed with the meat she has pulled up treed either early and slick... then she corrects it. Or do yall think she is treeing a coon but just getting impatient and leaving early. The first time it was for about 30 seconds treeing too early by the time she left and kept trailing and last night she treed early and stayed for a few mins then left before we walked up on her. I was upset then she treed with the meat. What do y’all think this is her first season she’s been in the woods less than 10 times or so. At this rate would you hunt her every night for a long period of time or should I continue to keep it short so she doesn’t get bored? Any help would greatly be appreciated

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-22-2019 12:52 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Just guessing I would say she just pulling up little early then checking on goin on. 10 nights in woods I would be super pleased with what she has done. Far as hunting at that age hunt her every night you want.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 10-22-2019 01:14 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Young dog

Sounds like you've got a nice young hound with that being said young dogs make mistakes in the learning process, they will tree slick,leave a coon,go backwards,run junk,and even look good some nites,enjoy her,accept it,hunt her,and have a good winter.....

Old Post 10-22-2019 02:10 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I say relax!! The dog is young. Feed her coon tracks and water and correct her if she runs junk. She's a year old. If she were human she'd be about 7 yrs. old. How much would you expect out of a 7 yr. old athlete?

If she's treeing coon on her own keep hunting her solo. She doesn't need to be distracted by another dog or pick up any bad habits she can't discover on her own. When you decide to hunt her with another dog be dam fussy with what you put her down with. Steer clear of trashy dogs, slick treer's and fighters.

Ground 'em solid in the basics when their young and if they have the genetics you'll have a fine hound in the end.

Old Post 10-22-2019 03:25 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I have 5 young dogs and she’s doing the best as of right now, she is the oldest. Got 1 thats 16 months that has treed with her on a den when they were pups and a turned loose coon he trees hard but he needs help working a track. She doesn’t seem to pay attention to other dogs when hunting and seems to be working a track pretty well. When she caught the coon she was split off while the other dog was treeing slick so she has signs of being indipendent. I should hunt her strictly solo? I was thinking about carrying some of my young dogs with her there 10 months and haven’t got on a hot coon yet. but I won’t if it’s going to mess my bluetick up. I want to do what it takes to put her in the hunts if she can make it. I got 2 that aren’t opening on track yet and she’s getting them to go deeper and leave me when I turn them loose with her. So it might mess her up or distract her if I bring a younger pup along that’s not started yet? don’t have a pup trainer I was hoping she could help but I know she’s still learning so I just don’t want to mess up a good thing.

Old Post 10-22-2019 10:40 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't run her at all with your other pups and rarely with a tried and true older dog. If what you say about her is true she doesn't need any help. She needs time in the woods to develop the inherited traits she seems to possess..

In fact I'll be so bold to say if I was in that position I'd sell everything else I had for young dogs and give her my undivided attention! But............that's just me and what you do is your business. I wish you the best!

Old Post 10-23-2019 12:33 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

At this age can I over hunt her or does she need to be hunted 5 or 6 nights out the week for 4-6 hours a night or is that moving a little fast? I would like to push her hard and see how she does but don’t want to overhunt her. Also I think I want to stay away from feeders but sometimes that’s the only way I can get on a hot track here... she will go off and get gone without a hot track i just have to be patient. I will keep your advice in mind thank you

Old Post 10-23-2019 01:04 AM