UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal 9
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cory Highfill

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Best post on this subject, I hunt open mouth dogs and if a silent mouth dog can beat them, it just means the silent dog is a better dog. I do not mind hunting with a silent mouth dog or getting beat by one. If I do not win, it's because I do not have the best dog in my cast, I won't make excuses period. If you can't beat a silent dog when you are getting an advantage in strike points, you deserve to lose. Dave

2nd best post

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2019 10:22 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Back in the day when rules were written most of the dogs packed. Seems to me ole tight an right were whooping their tail. Had to make the rules to accommodate the majority. By the time ole tight an right got treed it was to obvious when all the me tooing crap shut an went to him. I like a open mouth dog, can’t stand a babbler. If I get beat by a silent dog it’s my fault. Way rules are now it rewards the babbler an not the one treeing the coon. That’s all it boils down to is people are afraid they will get beat.

Old Post 05-15-2019 10:59 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Mckinney
UKC Forum Member

When they start striking and treeing their dog in one breath you will see there’s not much of a disadvantage. I’ve drawn a few that pulled same stuff and even pitched them in on other dogs. I’ve hunted a silent dog a lot a friend has. He’s a coon getter and will be alone most times.

Old Post 05-15-2019 11:17 PM
Mike Mckinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Mckinney Click here to Send Mike Mckinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Mckinney Find more posts by Mike Mckinney Add Mike Mckinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Crossbreeds have always hunted, they just want called crossbreeds. I've seen several yellow papers registered English dogs( blue x walker), Ohio river chunk comes to mind as one. And as far as still mouth goes, it's still a hound, hunt it.

Old Post 05-16-2019 12:01 AM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

My apologies Mr Jim. I misread when you said a dog that fought anything that covers and thought it just said scratch a dog that covers. Might say something about my reading comprehension. Read correctly, it's a very good post. Sorry.

Old Post 05-16-2019 01:18 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mike Mckinney

I realize that one can strike and tree a silent dog but if that dog beats me it's because it's a better coondog and not because it's silent. A silent dog still has to strike, track and tree more coons than my dog to win. A dog dies not win based on being an open trailing dog or a silent trailing dog, they win by being a better coondog. I have hunted both types and seen coondogs in both open and silent and junk in both open and silent dogs. I enjoy hunting a coondog and don't care if they open or not, if they beat me, it's my dogs fault. Dave

Old Post 05-16-2019 01:47 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Mckinney
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mike Mckinney

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I realize that one can strike and tree a silent dog but if that dog beats me it's because it's a better coondog and not because it's silent. A silent dog still has to strike, track and tree more coons than my dog to win. A dog dies not win based on being an open trailing dog or a silent trailing dog, they win by being a better coondog. I have hunted both types and seen coondogs in both open and silent and junk in both open and silent dogs. I enjoy hunting a coondog and don't care if they open or not, if they beat me, it's my dogs fault. Dave
Big Dave I agree 100 percent. But if he will hunt his advantage is dog don’t cover him as easy a silent dog is deadly in a night hunt more than most would think at least a good one. There is a reason their griped about. As long as he’s struck then treed and rules followed I have no problem. But striking and treeing in one breath all night is not the rule most silent dogs I’ve seen sound like they just fell treed no locate. I couldn’t do it in a hunt. Plus I like to here the work he’s doing. I couldn’t and wouldn’t expect anyone under the wording we have to except me doing it either.

Old Post 05-16-2019 02:01 AM
Mike Mckinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Mckinney Click here to Send Mike Mckinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Mckinney Find more posts by Mike Mckinney Add Mike Mckinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Proposal 9

quote:
Originally posted by collier41
I own a straight still mouth plott female when she opens she's treed. I think this rule needs thrown out I seriously don't understand how it can be an advantage because the dog will most likely take third or forth strike my female is that way but makes up for it with 1st trees. I'll honestly say this rule has kind of kept me from hunting her in the hunts.

If this rule has kept you out of the nite hunts, then you don't want in very much. I bet you don't know one single person that has ever been scratched under the silent dog rule. Which would put you in the same company with the other 98% of us. All this discussion about a rule that never shows up in a hunt.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-16-2019 03:50 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

If you’ve never seen a dog scratched for being silent then all you’ve hunted with are weak judges. I give them 2 trees to bark on the ground. They fall treed one time well that could have been a layup they fall treed a second time that’s no coincidence and I send them to the truck. Same way with babbling dogs, a handler strikes his dog on a babble I minus them move everyone else up and let them strike back for 25 no need in asking everyone else what they think 9 out of 10 times they will never even ask for a vote. If either of these are to hard for someone to do then they have no business packing a score card.
Now for what this topic was about. I think that the silent rule is ignorant if I got beat consistently by a dog that strikes for 25 every time I’m culling mine. Heck I honestly wouldn’t gripe if they did away with the babbling rule right a long with the silent dog rule. Strike them when the strike and tree them when they tree. Most of the time it will sort itself out anyway. A good coon hunter and a man that has done a pile of winning at all levels told me that it’s pretty easy to beat a babbling dog. All you have to do is tree more coon than they do. There is a lot of truth to that. Most of the people that are griping about when dogs strike usually aren’t packing a good enough dog to win. Look at X-Con for example he’s a low end strike dog but he trees a pile of coon and has won a pile of money. But for now since the rules are rules I will scratch them when they are silent and minus them when they babble.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 05-16-2019 04:20 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HERSHSHUNTIN
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
If you’ve never seen a dog scratched for being silent then all you’ve hunted with are weak judges. I give them 2 trees to bark on the ground. They fall treed one time well that could have been a layup they fall treed a second time that’s no coincidence and I send them to the truck. Same way with babbling dogs, a handler strikes his dog on a babble I minus them move everyone else up and let them strike back for 25 no need in asking everyone else what they think 9 out of 10 times they will never even ask for a vote. If either of these are to hard for someone to do then they have no business packing a score card.
Now for what this topic was about. I think that the silent rule is ignorant if I got beat consistently by a dog that strikes for 25 every time I’m culling mine. Heck I honestly wouldn’t gripe if they did away with the babbling rule right a long with the silent dog rule. Strike them when the strike and tree them when they tree. Most of the time it will sort itself out anyway. A good coon hunter and a man that has done a pile of winning at all levels told me that it’s pretty easy to beat a babbling dog. All you have to do is tree more coon than they do. There is a lot of truth to that. Most of the people that are griping about when dogs strike usually aren’t packing a good enough dog to win. Look at X-Con for example he’s a low end strike dog but he trees a pile of coon and has won a pile of money. But for now since the rules are rules I will scratch them when they are silent and minus them when they babble.

I will agree that a lot of judges are weak at judging--but if you go back in the coonhound news ukc has an article on silent dogs dated sept.15, 2016--they will back judges but it says after 3 trees or when hunt time is up.
way back in the 80ths I spectated on an early spring hunt with some snow on the ground and an English hound treed 2 or 3 coon that we saw --never barked on the ground and the other dogs didn't have a clue they were there--so it all depends on the situation. myself I think a hound should be an open trailer--but there are those times like the English hound that common sense takes over---look up the sept 15 2016 article

hershtwo@yahoo.com
Life member NRA
Current dogs
GR CH NT CH RED MIGHTY 90-Bo/Sierra
NT.CH.GR CH BEYOND BILLY HTX --Billy the Kid/ Amber
GR CH 1ST & 2ND place wins 90/4 LIFE GUN-HTX==-Willy BOY/Bigtime Britt
Dogs I have owned
Nt ch Gr ch HERSHS HUNTIN RED IKE
NT CH CH HERSHS HUNTIN BUDDY
GR NT CH MILLERS DIRTY RED
NT CH CH LYNN'S CREEK JULIE
GR CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED KATE
CH NITE CH AMBRAW RIVER TIMBER ROCK
NT CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED CLEM
NT CH ROCKY TOP CHERRY

Old Post 05-16-2019 06:51 AM
HERSHSHUNTIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HERSHSHUNTIN Click here to Send HERSHSHUNTIN a Private Message Click Here to Email HERSHSHUNTIN Find more posts by HERSHSHUNTIN Add HERSHSHUNTIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote