UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Sporting or not?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MTCoonHunter
UKC Forum Member

Sporting or not?

I hear a lot about what type of hunting is sporting and what is not. Prime example: coon hunting with dogs is sporting but spotlighting is not.

What do you consider sporting (and why) and what do you consider unsporting (and why)?

I've picked apart these questions regarding deer hunting and coon hunting so I'm curious what other people think.

Is there a difference between spotlighting coons as opposed to spotlighting coyotes/porcupines/etc. (and why)?

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-19-2013 03:41 AM
MTCoonHunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MTCoonHunter Click here to Send MTCoonHunter a Private Message Click Here to Email MTCoonHunter Find more posts by MTCoonHunter Add MTCoonHunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

How can u even consider spotlighting as "HUNTING"?

Old Post 06-19-2013 02:32 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newport
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper

im with ya on the one

Home of
PKC CH GRNITECH PR Newports Late Night Chill HTX
PR eel river rye
PR late night walker texas ranger (tex)
PR Big Walnuts Late Night Branch

proud member of The Deer Creek Cartel
Check out the deercreek cartel youtube channel at- youtube.com/c/thedeercreekcartel

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 06-19-2013 02:40 PM
newport is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newport Click here to Send newport a Private Message Click Here to Email newport Find more posts by newport Add newport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CrossbreedCur
UKC Forum Member

spotlighting isn't sporting. i think people who do it should never be allowed to hunt again. with one exception. If your family and kids are hungry and you don't have money to buy food then by all means pull out the gun and light to go grocery shopping. that's what animals are here for. what really gets me is people who shoot em and leave em laying. thrill killers are what they are called i guess. even had a guy last year spotlight and shoot a ladys horse.

"PR" Thunderheart Crickett
"PR" Thunderheart Waylen
Weems and Crockett Bred Plotts

Old Post 06-19-2013 03:06 PM
CrossbreedCur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CrossbreedCur Click here to Send CrossbreedCur a Private Message Click Here to Email CrossbreedCur Visit CrossbreedCur's homepage! Find more posts by CrossbreedCur Add CrossbreedCur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dirtdevil
Banned

It's not a sport when one team doesn't stand a chance ... the coon can get away from the hounds .. but not a spotlight and crosshairs.

Shooting a coon out to dogs is not a sport .. unless you also shoot the dogs in the gut or foot and find a coon nearly their weight.

Sport means all parties involved are there voluntarily and having fun .. so really , hound hunting may not qualify unless the local coon are treated well and don't mind the excersize.

Old Post 06-19-2013 03:13 PM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dirtdevil
It's not a sport when one team doesn't stand a chance ... the coon can get away from the hounds .. but not a spotlight and crosshairs.

Shooting a coon out to dogs is not a sport .. unless you also shoot the dogs in the gut or foot and find a coon nearly their weight.

Sport means all parties involved are there voluntarily and having fun .. so really , hound hunting may not qualify unless the local coon are treated well and don't mind the excersize.

I respectfully disagree. Dogs are at a disadvantage with coons right off the bat. A coon has the intelligence equal with a rhesus monkey. Dogs are far down the scale from coons in that department. Add to that if scenting conditions are not favorable that would favor the coon. Then there is the whole issue that the coon is typically more familiar with its home range than the dog. The coon knows were the holes, dens, and crossovers are.

As far as sporting, I think the above is the wrong definition to consider. The definition of sporting chance fits much better. It's a fair chance.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 06-19-2013 06:40 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vernonsdream
UKC Forum Member

As Jerry Clower said, "no matter what, give it a sportin chance."

Old Post 06-19-2013 06:48 PM
vernonsdream is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vernonsdream Click here to Send vernonsdream a Private Message Find more posts by vernonsdream Add vernonsdream to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dirtdevil
Banned

Larry you quoted me correctly when i said " the coon CAN get away from the hounds " ... and then went into more detail with it .. I don't see a disagreement... but , the coon can't dodge bullets or spotlights.

The definition of sporting was made by hunters .. if you asked the coon how sporting it is then you might get a different answer.

When one side makes the rules and definitions ... then their meaning has little value.

Hunting is not a sport , it's a one sided hobby where the hounds and game animals serve our selfish purposes ... that's just the truth , using nice sounding names for stuff don't change it .

That's why our rights to do so are dwindling .. cocking , hunting , fishing, rodeo ... we make it sound sporting or fair , but those on the outside don't buy it because it's not the truth.

Old Post 06-19-2013 06:55 PM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

it can all be sporting if done right.... I love spot lighting wildlife but I leave the gun at home

Old Post 06-19-2013 07:01 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pratcliff
UKC Forum Member

When the statement running deer with dogs is not very sporting came up at lunch a while back i explained that it was a whole lot more sporting than the frozen food aisle. I don't hunt for sport i hunt for groceries. I coon hunt just because. If i got to explain it you wouldn't understand any way.

Old Post 06-19-2013 09:36 PM
pratcliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pratcliff Click here to Send pratcliff a Private Message Find more posts by pratcliff Add pratcliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MTCoonHunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper

That's exactly the type of question that this thread is about. I had a coworker who was so proud to tell me about how many coon he could spotlight and shoot in one night. When I told him how unsporting that was, his response was "why? I find the coon myself whereas you sit there and wait for the dogs to find the coon for you."

Sometimes I'm reminded of when I was a kid, and someone would say "why are you mad at me?" and the girls would say "if you don't know, then I'm not telling you!"

My vocabulary is "why," followed by step-by-step logical reasons. I'm just not a very emotional person, "just cuz" never has meant much to me (which at times has certainly been a pit-fall).

I'm enjoying these posts, some nice thoughts and reasons are being shown.

(Dogwhisper, if that question was specifically pointed at me--I haven't stated my opinion at all, just mimicking what others have said--I'm far more interested in other people's opinions than my own)

Old Post 06-19-2013 10:43 PM
MTCoonHunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MTCoonHunter Click here to Send MTCoonHunter a Private Message Click Here to Email MTCoonHunter Find more posts by MTCoonHunter Add MTCoonHunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Jones
UKC Forum Member

nothing sporting about it

Unless you are going to catch them by hand with no lights, dogs, guns, boots or fancy hunting clothes there is nothing sproting about hunting any type of game. Now if it's just you and what you were born with verses the game you after. Then I would call it fair and equal. What is sporting about sitting in a tree with a gun, bow or any other type of weapon waiting for a deer to walk by? Nothing. Now go out and challenge a deer to fight bare fisted then you could call it sporting. There is nothing sporting about any type of hunting. I enjoy all different kinds of it and don't care what anyone else thinks about it. Sporting or not sporting. In the end dead is dead. It dont matter how it died end result is it is still dead. Yes I will kill every coon my dog trees. Yes I will shoot a small buck, button buck or doe. Yes I would shoot a pheasant on the ground. I like to hunt and I like to shoot. But more than that I like the time spent with my friends and family while doing these things together. I like to eat wild game and I like to share it with others.

Old Post 06-19-2013 11:05 PM
Justin Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Jones Click here to Send Justin Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Justin Jones Find more posts by Justin Jones Add Justin Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

You'd walk your guts out here trying to spotlight a coon lol. I guess that's why I've never heard of anyone doing it around here.

Old Post 06-19-2013 11:08 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jtwigg
UKC Forum Member

Sporting

i thank the way i coon hunt is sporting i turn dog lose he trees coon i tell him good job go bak to truck im lucky if i shoot 20 coon a year out and i have lots of coon i just see no reason to shoot coon out there not worth that much anymore i go coonhntin because i loe to hear the dog run and tree not to kill the coon jmo

1 gli

Old Post 06-19-2013 11:29 PM
jtwigg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtwigg Click here to Send jtwigg a Private Message Click Here to Email jtwigg Find more posts by jtwigg Add jtwigg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ty Ford
UKC Forum Member

Non sporting

Agree with justin jones. Absolutely nothing sporting about killing anything. Dead is dead and I can assure you the animal getting shot doesnt enjoy dying whether it's with a bright light or in the daytime. There are legal hunters and there are outlaws but no hunting would I consider sporting.

Old Post 06-19-2013 11:36 PM
Ty Ford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ty Ford Click here to Send Ty Ford a Private Message Click Here to Email Ty Ford Find more posts by Ty Ford Add Ty Ford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

Sporting, hunting, whatever you wanna call it is our God given right to continue harvesting whatever animal by whatever legal means necessary. Spotlighting, hounds, electronic calls, etc could be debated by anybody, especially an activist. Mainly because I believe our society as a whole is WEAK. Many folks that solely hunt big game for trophies are weak. Watch one cower down when an animal is not properly shot. They deserve a quick clean kill but death is UGLY in any form, be it fast or slow. In this case it's a by-product of success. But to most death of an animal is necessary nutrition. Most people sitting next to you at the restaurant want that steak but are thrilled they took no part in getting it from farm to table and don't even wanna know how it happens. Again, as I led off, God gave us dominion over the animals and beast of the Earth, we should respect them, conserve them, assure their future, then have at it. Whack em and stack em. Stand together or get out of the way.

Old Post 06-19-2013 11:43 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

(Dogwhisper, if that question was specifically pointed at me--I haven't stated my opinion at all, just mimicking what others have said--I'm far more interested in other people's opinions than my own) [/B][/QUOTE]

No....... it wasn't pointed at U.

Old Post 06-20-2013 08:29 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Loaded Qestion

if iv understood the qestion right !
I think any realistic person knows what sport is , I haven’t taken gun with me to the woods since February, but iv took my hounds! the sport is the pursuit and the catch is the prize for handler and his hound just like fishing, you can catch it and eat it or release it either way it is sporting to me ......

Ray Hudson

Old Post 06-20-2013 08:46 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

If ya wanna be more sportin about it...BUY A BLUETICK.

Old Post 06-20-2013 09:35 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

dang

i aint even gonna post what i think after reading some of these post of what is supposed to be hunters

Old Post 06-21-2013 02:52 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

sport suggests doing something for fun.
Not every coonhunting experience is for fun. sometimes it is for a purpose. some folks are out there to "harvest" furs, or to prevent damage to crops. shine 'em, trap 'em, tree 'em. Shoot one from a tree or 6. if you aren't doing it for sport it doesn't matter.
If you are after sport you leave the gun behind. If you do it for other reasons you bring it.

Old Post 06-21-2013 03:26 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote