UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many coons does a pup need to be knocked out to him
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

How many coons does a pup need to be knocked out to him

She’s improving well hunting solo she’s 16 months old and has had 1 coon shot out to her 2 nights ago which was her 4th coon she’s treed. She is a small dog and suprised me when she went into that coon when it hit the ground looking like a veteran fighting it. she has caught one and treed 5 total. Seen 2 coons last night separate trees within an hour. I Walked her away while she was still treeing hard and she did seem to tree harder last night after I shot the first one down. I would like to leave as many coons alive as I can but how many would y’all say a dog needs knocked out to be a solid coondog. 1 out of 10? This first 5? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2019 06:11 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

I read walk with Wick I know he says you should shoot less coons and not shoot the first 10. What’s y’all opinions

Old Post 10-23-2019 06:14 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

This is gonna be fun. 😁

Old Post 10-23-2019 07:58 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

My Opinion

If she's only doing that after very few trips to the timber, I would probably get rid of her. I know have a lot of time and patience, I could probably take her off your hands and help you out a little.

Many have said and it's probably true....the hunter needs to shoot a lot more coons down than the dog does. Give her a coon now and then that she DESERVES. Ones she had to work hard for and/or wasn't sure if she had. The ones she trees easy.....save for later. I think they get as much or more from praise from the handler than chewing on fur.

My 2 cents...which in today's world will buy you absolutely nothing!

Old Post 10-23-2019 08:37 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Don’t need to knock any out to her .

Old Post 10-23-2019 09:04 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

It really depends upon YOUR definition of a solid coon dog.

But I bet there wasn't a dog that finished in the Top 20 of ANY world hunt that only got rewarded 1 out of 10 times they had the meat in the final 30-60 nights prior to the world Champion event.

I say give him what your laws allow with consideration for conservation as being the first thought on your mind. If your population can stand harvesting 1-2 coon per night, then give it to him. If it doesn't then back off and only give him what your population can stand.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-23-2019 10:20 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Cry tough blues

What’s the benefit to not knocking any coons out to a dog?

Old Post 10-23-2019 11:37 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Just what I have seen: Some dogs will hunt harder and tree better when you knock out a lot of coon to them. Some dogs will actually get less accurate instead of more accurate. Have seen some get possessive of the tree when given a lot of coon. So it depends on the dog. But I really believe with a really smart dog you don't have to give them a lot of coon but it will only make them better. I have a pup right now that I don't give many because he is such a tree dog that he needs no encouragement to tree.

Old Post 10-24-2019 12:54 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

It's not how many but rather which ones will
do the most good !
Quantity is just cuz one likes to kill !

Last edited by Dogwhisper on 10-24-2019 at 01:28 PM

Old Post 10-24-2019 01:25 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eddie Green
UKC Forum Member

Everyone she trees

GRNT GREEN'S TRIPLE B LONESOME ZEKE
GRNT GREENS TRIPLE B BLUE ABBY
TRIPLE B LOUD MOUTH LINCOLN
GREEN'S TRIPLE B YELLOWSTONE RIP
GREEN'S TRIPLE B GRAND CLEORA
GREEN'S TRIPLE B BIG TIME MARTHA
NTCH SMITHS TREE BUSTING STINGER

R.I.P. GREENS TRIPLE B BLUE ROY
R.I.P. GREENS TRIPLE B BLUE THUMP

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 10-24-2019 03:34 PM
Eddie Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eddie Green Click here to Send Eddie Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Eddie Green Find more posts by Eddie Green Add Eddie Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cry tough blues

quote:
Originally posted by wlewis323
What’s the benefit to not knocking any coons out to a dog?

Benefit is in the eye of the owner. My treeing stock have never needed game shot to them . I have running dogs also on deer and fox and not one of them has ever needed a fox shot in front of them, but will hunt one up and run them night after night for hours until we catch them up or it holes up. The post starter ask for opinions and I have mine . If you shoot coons out to your dogs I have no issue with it was merely stating my own opinion based on my experiences.

Old Post 10-25-2019 01:58 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Dogs are not all the same

Some dogs perform better if you keep them wanting a coon. Some get lazy if you shoot lots of coon out. Some get tree happy and start pulling up too quick and have empty trees Etc.
Some lack confidence and need to know they had the coon. Some that have had every coon shot out, don't handle it very well when you stop shooting them out.
When they are first starting to tree coon I shoot them out. If more than 1 coon up the tree, just shoot 1 out, save the rest for the future. After the first ten coon or so, I start paying attention. If you want a dog that just runs around looking for easy coon then shoot those out, if you want a dog to work a track up and tree it, then shoot those out.
I had a dog that was at her best if you never shot any coon out. Probably treed over 100 coon a year. I'd give her 1 coon in January every year, it would take 3 nights to get her head right after that one coon. Her accuracy would go to about 40%. She competed in the finals at the UKC World hunt one year and finished to GRNT. Pretty nice dog if you didn't shoot coon out.
I've also had dogs that performed best if you shot out every 10th coon they treed.
Each dog is different.
It's nice if you don't have to shoot many out, your hunting spots always have coon in them.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 10-25-2019 03:24 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I remember a time really not that long ago that our previous old hound never had hardly any "shot out" to him but well over 100 were knocked out (Chey would climb trees) to him every season and he would finish them off then carry the coons to the truck if he wasn't re-cut from that spot. Dens coons were pulled out of. I'm sure he may have missed one occasionally but it was a rarity. His ears didn't hang down like most hounds they kinda stuck out from his head. During season when coon hides were high nearly everyone anyone treed was harvested. Name the one difference between many of the dogs then and today. JS.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-25-2019 03:30 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Coons Knocked Out....

Give her Every Coon she Tree's while she is Young.
As a Dog gets older they dont need as many.
If She does her Part.....then You do Your Part.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 10-25-2019 11:41 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

In the normal course of the a dogs life it will see 800-1000 coons shout out to it at my house, and will tree far more than that..

Harvest 80-160 coons a year in hide season, hunt pretty steady during the off season ( i kill a coon every week or two in the off season depending on how much I hunt) so let's call it another 40-60

So let's call it a general average of 150 a year across a 10 or 11 year life span.. I'm well above pace with a 2 1/2 year old dog i'm hunting now, but I like him a lot and am hunting a considerable amount..

May lay off hunting here or there as life happens, but I've had several throughout my life that had numbers far more than the above and some below

Don't have a clue how many a dog needs, but I know I'm hunting coons and not score cards and I've had hounds I liked an awful lot over the years that were hunted just as described..

The best part is I shipped 77 of the best coons last year up to Canada and averaged right at $4 after commission.. Man what a money making enterprise hide hunting is right now ..

Old Post 10-25-2019 03:01 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Depends on the dog amd your future plans for it.

Personally I don't like shooting out a bunch of coons because I like to enter my hounds in competition hunts and want them to be used to treeing and being recut.

I'm currently hunting a 28 month old that has never seen a caged coon and has only had one coon shot out to him his whole life (at about 14 months old).

Coons are not thick where I hunt and I can't afford to knock out very many. I grew up hunting South Central Oklahoma where coons were even thinner so we rarely killed them.

My pup seems to respond better to my praise than to fur in his mouth and he's already got a cast win (1st place registered) so it seems to be working for him.

This is the age old debate... Some say kill them all, some say never kill any while most are somewhere in between. Just pay attention to your hound and use your best judgement.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Coby

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 10-26-2019 08:45 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

An old timer that I had a lot of respect for told me a long time ago to kill every 5th coon to young dogs. I've tried to follow that ever since and it has worked good for me. I also believe it's better to kill the ones they have trouble with and don't do so great on but still get them treed ,those are the most important.

Old Post 10-26-2019 09:15 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BANJO PICKER
UKC Forum Member

Good ones dont need many it is really more for the owner than the dog. Think of this, If you get one treeing a possum how many you have to shoot out to keep them treeing them. (0) or if they run deer how many deer do you have to shoot in front of them to keep them running a deer 0 again would be my guess but they keep treeing and running them until they are broke from it. So it boils down to how many makes you happy cause if you got the right dog it want need any or at least very few
I would harvest according to the population.

Old Post 10-29-2019 06:00 AM
BANJO PICKER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BANJO PICKER Click here to Send BANJO PICKER a Private Message Click Here to Email BANJO PICKER Find more posts by BANJO PICKER Add BANJO PICKER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coons

I think the number of coons a dog needs shot out is very small, it's more about the owner feeling the need to shoot them out. When I summer hunted I never shot coons out and it did not bother my dogs at all, could not tell any difference in how the operated, except they were easier to get off trees. Numbers are more for a man's ego than what a dog actually needs. There are a lot of top notch dogs around the country that rarely have a coon shot out to them. A man told me once that if a dog needs every coon it trees, then you need a new dog, I agree. Dave

Old Post 10-29-2019 11:53 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I always try to hunt the dog hard for 30 days with nothing but praise for its reward. If I'm not satisfied with how its performing then I change tactics. I knock a few out to see if it helps any or hurts the progress. There's no right or wrong answer. Every dog is different in so many different ways it's unbelievable. But if you're paying attention the actions of the dog will tell you to stop killing coons or kill more. I know of several dogs it makes zero difference and I know of a few that it lights a fire in them. So it just depends on the dog.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-29-2019 01:24 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coons

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I think the number of coons a dog needs shot out is very small, it's more about the owner feeling the need to shoot them out. When I summer hunted I never shot coons out and it did not bother my dogs at all, could not tell any difference in how the operated, except they were easier to get off trees. Numbers are more for a man's ego than what a dog actually needs. There are a lot of top notch dogs around the country that rarely have a coon shot out to them. A man told me once that if a dog needs every coon it trees, then you need a new dog, I agree. Dave
X2 This seems to be the case around here, only time my dogs get one is when I have a visiting Hunter and that's not very often and it don't seem to have any effect one way or another on them.

Old Post 10-29-2019 03:30 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

Well bred dog shouldnt need any

If the are bred to track and tree they should without coon! Shouldnt even need to know what one looks like

Old Post 10-30-2019 03:59 AM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote