UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Opinions on clover bred hounds
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Opinions on clover bred hounds

What's yalls opinion on clover dogs ??

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2018 05:53 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trueblue269
UKC Forum Member

clover hounds

mouthy in the box at home and wont shut up wile turned loose . you will catch them at a tree.

Old Post 02-23-2018 09:55 PM
trueblue269 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trueblue269 Click here to Send trueblue269 a Private Message Click Here to Email trueblue269 Find more posts by trueblue269 Add trueblue269 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trueblue269
UKC Forum Member

clover hounds

mouthy in the box at home and wont shut up wile turned loose . you will catch them at a tree.

Old Post 02-23-2018 09:55 PM
trueblue269 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trueblue269 Click here to Send trueblue269 a Private Message Click Here to Email trueblue269 Find more posts by trueblue269 Add trueblue269 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I'd say that statement is more on 1 dog than on the collective bunch. I've only hunter with a few and none were mouthy. I've got one, you don't know he's here until you open the feed bin. He's not a barker, he uses his mouth according to the track. If its hot bell be about dead silent. And bell put Ricky in a bush.

Old Post 02-23-2018 10:05 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

The best dog i have ever turned loose was directly off of Stylish Clover . He was a coondog thru and thru, with the most heart I have ever seen in a dog up until the day he died. An outstanding nose that loved to get deep and have one hanging. I hunted and won with this dog in just about every terrain and coon population you could imagine.

And I also handled a grandpup to Clover for a few years. The same way, would not quit on a track and when he locked up he had a coon often deep and alone. I won a lot with both of these dogs over my younger years and still have a love for the Clover line of dogs.

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 02-23-2018 10:23 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Re: Re: clover hounds

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hennessey
And this is from a bluetick owner. LMAO!
lol there have been some pretty nice clover breed dogs but most are a little touchy but not bad that I have hunted with

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 02-24-2018 12:43 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: clover hounds

quote:
Originally posted by trueblue269

I have had clover dogs for 20 years and have never seen a mouthy one. If anything they are tight mouth.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-24-2018 12:58 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I guess the question is clarify which clover bred dog? Stylish clover or Logan wild clover?

Old Post 02-24-2018 01:30 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Wild clover !!

Old Post 02-24-2018 01:31 AM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

See that makes a difference. I have 0 experience with the wild bred dogs.

Old Post 02-24-2018 01:42 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Whitey was wild bred. He was out of wild clover.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-24-2018 02:26 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Wild card buddy to be exact

Old Post 02-24-2018 02:33 AM
Chad Francis
UKC Forum Member

"Stylish Clover "

Most have well above averge mouths great track dogs some can run one older than they should. Most of them will work it out and finish the track and most have coons in there trees. My favorite part is most have that stylish clover locate a kid can call treed. Get ya some before it's all gone.

Old Post 02-24-2018 04:29 AM
Chad Francis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chad Francis Click here to Send Chad Francis a Private Message Click Here to Email Chad Francis Find more posts by Chad Francis Add Chad Francis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I've hunted a few wild clover bred dogs. Like Joey said typically most would agree they're on the tight side of medium. Most of the ones I hunted were outcsosses and we're wide open track dogs. I had one out of wild Joey and Hardwood Dan and one out of wild Joey and Pac Man both were chop mouth track dogs that barked as much on a hot track as they did treed. We bred the Dan x Joey female back to Tony's Wild Clover twice andthe pups ranged from tight to silent. I hunted the Wild Style Cruise dog for awhile out of Wild Card and he was a cold nosed open trailing dog.

I've only hunted a couple right off Stylish Clover both were off of the same female ( Lipper x Stylish Dolly). Both were slick treein idiots crazy as a fox in a forest fire but I think that come from the mother's side as she was bred to Swamp and the pups from that cross were the same.

Logan's Wild Quick produced some nice dogs as well

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:20 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Moore
The best dog i have ever turned loose was directly off of Stylish Clover . He was a coondog thru and thru, with the most heart I have ever seen in a dog up until the day he died. An outstanding nose that loved to get deep and have one hanging. I hunted and won with this dog in just about every terrain and coon population you could imagine.

And I also handled a grandpup to Clover for a few years. The same way, would not quit on a track and when he locked up he had a coon often deep and alone. I won a lot with both of these dogs over my younger years and still have a love for the Clover line of dogs.

X2

Old Post 02-24-2018 06:27 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: clover hounds

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I have had clover dogs for 20 years and have never seen a mouthy one. If anything they are tight mouth.

Joey...has anyone in your area ever used one of your clover dogs on hogs? If so what kind of grit and stopping power?

Will they stick for 3-5 hours on a hard runner?
I am assuming these dogs are fast trackers and drift on track as needed...

Thanks

Old Post 02-24-2018 01:57 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

I can echo what most of the guys have said. There are some common traits I have seen in these heavy clover dogs.

1. They are ugly. And I like it. Not many beauty queens in the bunch BUT it's an acquired taste.

2. They are smart. I think this is why they are so accurate. I mean like doing geometry smart. If you think I am kidding, call some of the guys that have heavy clover dogs and see what you find out.

3. They are typically big dogs. 70+ plus

4. They are gritty. I have never had or seen a wimpy clover dog.

5. They are not stylish tree dogs. A bunch of them bawl on the tree or will bawl about as much as they chop. You can pick them out easy because usually they are the loud one. They usually jump, bounce, move around.

6. They are track dogs DELUXE.

7. It's not likely they will be 6 months old running AND treeing their own coon. Now they might be running the hair off of them. Usually the treeing part is a little later. When they do start treeing, go buy several bricks of bullets because you are going to be seeing fur frequently.

8. They like to chew. Get in to a tree that one has been at a while and usually he'll have it landscaped for you nicely.

9. My favorite one- they have a ton of personality. They have HEART and want to please their owner.

All of the ones I have barely bark at the house, hardly ever. A verbal scolding fixes it because they are smart enough to figure it out.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Old Post 02-27-2018 06:36 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by deadeye ruck
I can echo what most of the guys have said. There are some common traits I have seen in these heavy clover dogs.

1. They are ugly. And I like it. Not many beauty queens in the bunch BUT it's an acquired taste.

2. They are smart. I think this is why they are so accurate. I mean like doing geometry smart. If you think I am kidding, call some of the guys that have heavy clover dogs and see what you find out.

5. They are not stylish tree dogs. A bunch of them bawl on the tree or will bawl about as much as they chop. You can pick them out easy because usually they are the loud one. They usually jump, bounce, move around.

7. It's not likely they will be 6 months old running AND treeing their own coon. Now they might be running the hair off of them. Usually the treeing part is a little later. When they do start treeing, go buy several bricks of bullets because you are going to be seeing fur frequently.

8. They like to chew. Get in to a tree that one has been at a while and usually he'll have it landscaped for you nicely.

9. My favorite one- they have a ton of personality. They have HEART and want to please their owner.

All of the ones I have barely bark at the house, hardly ever. A verbal scolding fixes it because they are smart enough to figure it out.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. 100% correct.

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 02-27-2018 08:26 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by deadeye ruck

I have a 3 year old male off of Stylish Tank and you described him to a T! It’s like you were talking specifically about my dog! He recently had an issue with accuracy but I’m convinced that was due to Lyme and low thyroid. After treatment for Lyme and 2 months on thyroid medicine he’s back to having those eyeballs looking down. I would LOVE to find a heavy Clover bred female that I could buy.

Last edited by LSO1103 on 02-28-2018 at 01:59 AM

Old Post 02-28-2018 01:55 AM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

jmo

Best hound I've ever owned {still got her} is Stylish Clover bred.
stone Quiet at home
Independent
Most accurate hound I've ever been in woods with.
Will tree every coon in the woods or get deep if not moving.
Hard headed when she was young,turned out to be worth it.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-28-2018 02:23 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

If you want Clover blood I got it and a lot of it.

Old Post 02-28-2018 03:03 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

H dog

Wild or stylish ??

Old Post 02-28-2018 07:27 PM
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

Wild and stylish is the same thing stylish Clover was out of wild clover my dogs have wild clover and stylish clover in them check out gr ch gr nite ch stylish hook in the stud dog fourm

Old Post 02-28-2018 07:56 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 02-28-2018 07:56 PM
danny buechler
UKC Forum Member

Just my two cents worth. I have two females out of card that are as good as they come. One opens a lot on track the other one is tight. I also own wildcard's buddy and he doesn't give much on track. All can take a track and put a coon on the end of it. One female chews other don't. All very smart and want to please.

NT CH GR CH 6 MILES TWO BIT HOOKER
PR STONECOLD CREE

Old Post 02-28-2018 08:49 PM
danny buechler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danny buechler Click here to Send danny buechler a Private Message Click Here to Email danny buechler Find more posts by danny buechler Add danny buechler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote