UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > ? of the century "Brood Female"
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lovis Burns
UKC Forum Member

? of the century "Brood Female"

Who here valves a "brood" female and why.

I personally don't have valve for a brood female. I know there has been a lot of winners and reproducers come from brood females. But I never understood why some would breed a female that couldn't run and tree a coon. But bred her simply because of her bloodline.

I know some will hunt and train females. But never put them in the hunts. If I have a dog at my place they have to be able to run and tree there own coon not just run and tree with other dogs. And I will put them in the hunts. I valve the Ability of a dog more than just a Bloodline. Bloodline's never tree raccoons.

Midnight Thunder Black & Tans

GRNITECH CH PKC CH ‘PR’ Midnight Thunder Black Steel - (Ch GrNiteCh'PR' Northern Lights Doc x NITECH 'PR' Blues Band Gypsy Woman) - $630.66 PKC

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Midnight Thunder Final Destiny - (GrNiteCh 'PR' First Class Super Stud x GrNiteCh GrCh 'PR' Midnight Thunder Black Desire) - - PKC $54.00

Up and Coming

Like us on Facebook

Lovis Burns
910-874-4650

Use and Recommend
Bright Eyes Lights
Inukshuk Dog Food

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-02-2018 12:21 PM
Lovis Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovis Burns Click here to Send Lovis Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email Lovis Burns Visit Lovis Burns's homepage! Find more posts by Lovis Burns Add Lovis Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.J Melin
UKC Forum Member

All I keep is females and they are kinda like brood females cause they don’t get hunted 🤣

Old Post 02-02-2018 01:26 PM
J.J Melin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.J Melin Click here to Send J.J Melin a Private Message Click Here to Email J.J Melin Visit J.J Melin's homepage! Find more posts by J.J Melin Add J.J Melin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

As much as people want to get into the scientific side of breeding (I do agree to some extent that it slightly increases your odds) breeding is still a crap shot. Two of my best hounds came from potlicking females. One was an accidental breeding. Were there good genes in the females involved? Most definitely. There are a few breeders out there that have had "good luck" in making calculated crosses. Yes, they generally crossed a female that was a "coondog" but they have also had their share of bum crosses when they figured they had a cross that was going to produce the next world champion. ie., two top notch bonifide winners. My advice...check your traits and characteristics, the weaknesses and strong points of both, the percentages on other proven crosses of similar lineage...and ROLL THE DICE!

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 02-02-2018 05:04 PM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nick miller
UKC Forum Member

Agreed Randy

Old Post 02-02-2018 07:47 PM
nick miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nick miller Click here to Send nick miller a Private Message Click Here to Email nick miller Find more posts by nick miller Add nick miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shawnstovall
UKC Forum Member

when breeding it is all in the genetics of the animal do some crosses work no they don't. some of the females that are not titled my never have seen a hunt in there but does that mean they won't wont reproduce. Like Randy said roll the dice. Just like me with show hogs we breed our sow that won several jackpots and placed high at our county to a stud of a boar and every pig in that liter where absolute junk and went to the market sale. so it is a gamble on what you breed too.

918-961-2434
Home to:
Pr S&J's Shack's Backwoods Patches (walker)
'PR' Stovall's Black Knight Wild Willy
Past Home to:
dual grand stovall's black knight george (gone but not forgotten)
pr D&S' black little luke (1st and 3rd place wins) (davis black luke x paynes black june) gone but not forgotten
Dual Grand Davis' black hutch (gone but not forgotten)

Old Post 02-02-2018 08:06 PM
shawnstovall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawnstovall Click here to Send shawnstovall a Private Message Click Here to Email shawnstovall Find more posts by shawnstovall Add shawnstovall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Whether or not the dog is put in a hunt doesn't change what the dog will reproduce.

Genes are genes, they don't change based on if the dog is hunted or not.

If by brood female you mean a female that has reproduced top notch hounds no matter what she is crossed with, that female has a ton of worth whether she hunts or not because she is a reproducer.

If you mean brood female in just any old female with a bloodline I like, well it would hold no value to me because I personally don't breed to a female that I wouldn't want a pup just like it.

What I said above is true, it doesn't change what they throw but you have a better chance of the dog having desirable genes to pass on if it hunts than if it hasn't been hunted and you just plain don't have a clue.

So for me, I won't breed anything that I wouldn't be satisfied with the pup turning out just like it.

Old Post 02-02-2018 08:36 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovis Burns
UKC Forum Member

I agree with what you all are saying. My point is I see some people posting brood dogs for sale. Or I'm in the market for a brood female. She doesn't have to be a coondog. And I don't agree with that. Its enough bad dogs out here with from just what we think might make a good cross. Last thing we need is a more sorry dogs.

And I know the hunts don't make a dog reproduce. I just personally don't buy dogs just because of there bloodline or just because its a black and tan that I can raise pups from. If they can't run and tree there own coon. They don't stay here.

GRNITECH CH PKC CH ‘PR’ Midnight Thunder Black Steel - (Ch GrNiteCh'PR' Northern Lights Doc x NITECH 'PR' Blues Band Gypsy Woman) - $630.66 PKC

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Midnight Thunder Final Destiny - (GrNiteCh 'PR' First Class Super Stud x GrNiteCh GrCh 'PR' Midnight Thunder Black Desire) - - PKC $54.00

Up and Coming

Like us on Facebook

Lovis Burns
910-874-4650

Use and Recommend
Bright Eyes Lights
Inukshuk Dog Food

Old Post 02-02-2018 11:42 PM
Lovis Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovis Burns Click here to Send Lovis Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email Lovis Burns Visit Lovis Burns's homepage! Find more posts by Lovis Burns Add Lovis Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Agreement

I very much agree with what RIP and Randy posted above.

Re: RIP's post: That's almost to a word what I would say. I've always said the question to ask yourself is: "Would I be satisfied if every pup turned out exactly like the mother?" You should be able to answer YES to this question if you are breeding a female.

We'd have a shortage of dogs if everybody followed that philosophy and my other philosophy on breeding females. That is, if she produces what I like, I've got what I want and don't NEED more. If she doesn't produce what I like, I don't WANT more.

Re: Randy's post. Relating to scientific knowledge of genetics (see above). I think back to the Walker breeder, Dr. Richard A. Guill, a geneticist by trade (should qualify him as knowledgeable). Years back, I hunted with some of his stock---not bad, but nothing special either. And, I've seen people that were no where near as knowledgeable as him that could consistently produce better dogs than he did.

Old Post 02-03-2018 03:44 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug A
UKC Forum Member

You would think that supply and demand would weed out brood females. With as few hunters that we have right now and puppies to be found practically anywhere the need to breed just any ol female wouldn't exist. Finding puppies of the right kind should be the priority. There's no way I'd ever get a puppy if I didñt know and like how the female operated.

Old Post 02-03-2018 02:08 PM
Doug A is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug A Click here to Send Doug A a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug A Find more posts by Doug A Add Doug A to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

The term brood female probably came round yrs ago when puppy farms were fairly common. I always thought of a brood female as a dog that always had a good litter of pups, plenty of milk and was a good mother. Being a good coon dog and having a good ped would be icing on the cake. ........ With that said titles look good but don't make a dog a reproducer. Some of the best crosses on paper turned up duds. To me a great dog is one that can do it in the woods and can reproduce his or her likeness or better. ..... I do think that with less puppies being bred now due to less coon hunters and places to coon hunt that the quality of pups available has improved. Many of these pups are quietly being bred by pleasure hunters for several generations.... As someone said the genes are the same if a dog hunts or not..

Old Post 02-03-2018 04:52 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Female

A lot of females, of outstanding blood lines, don't get hunted. A fellow gave me a 6 year old female out of Grnnitech Midnite Special, her mother was a Grnnite out of Set-emAce. I was starting to hunt her, she had not been hunted much at all, when the old guy said his brother, wanted her back. So i gave her back, once they had paid me the twenty dollar fee, i paid to put her in my name. But those well bred older females, 6 to 8 years of age can still make pretty good dogs, if hunted, people get in a hurry to raise a litter of pups, so the female, gets older, and she doesn't get the chance, to make a coon dog.

Old Post 02-05-2018 06:31 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lwarren71
UKC Forum Member

Good topic

My old dog in the pen is 11 years old
And his mom didn't hunt but his dad
Hunted. Not every pup turns out.
There was 6 pups in the litter and the
People who got them was happy with
Them. I have seen alot of dogs in the
Pass that have good and bad nights.
I learned if you don't like the dog it
Won't get the chance you all Way's
Hunt your favorite. I might take the
Gamble on a female that breed right
And breed her if she don't hunt the way
I like might end up with a dandy one

Warren's Raging Rebel

Want to talk black dogs
Call me 517-219-5556
Larry Warren

Old Post 02-07-2018 07:20 AM
Lwarren71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lwarren71 Click here to Send Lwarren71 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lwarren71 Find more posts by Lwarren71 Add Lwarren71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Female

I had a fellow tell me one time, that if it ain't a top dog, he don't bred it, i don't, know if he knows, what a top dog is, as i ain't never, hunted with one. And i bred and raised, a dog that placed 20th in one of ukc's world hunts, probably, still the most stay put, no pull, hound i've ever seen go. But i have not seen that perfect one, go yet, some are better, than others, but if every body's yard stick, which is the ukc hunts, was used correctly. These females, that have never been hunted, that are out of a Grnnitech male dog, and their mother was a nitech, should produce pretty good dogs, even tho, they themselves were never hunted. I won't breed a female unless she gets up there, and trees pretty good. And if she has the right stuff in her, even tho she ain't been out, i'll hunt her, and give her a chance to make something of her self, even if she's 8 years old. I hunt everything, that lives here, and they don't get to go as much as they should. And i'd rather have a female out of something, that made nitech or grnite ch, a few years ago, than, today, as they don't have 7 or 8 dogs in the whole hunt, these days.

Old Post 02-08-2018 08:25 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

I have seen a brood female reproduce at a high percentage,she would run and tree,probably one of the hardest tree dog I have followed,but she was inconsistent,and a little on the rattle headed side. She was bred by her owner twice,to his young stud dog.Her first litter had 4 pups,all made coon dogs,3 titled,before they were 3,one went to a hide hunter,and she was probably the best one in the litter. Second cross had 5 pups,two died early in life, one got ran over,one shot,the other three would tree coons but we're never hunted in the hunts. So that's 9 pups with 3 titled.I owned one from the first cross,he was bred twice,produced 20 pups 2 made grand,and those to are on the historical reproducers list,I also owned one from the second cross,he was on his way to becoming really nice,my job took me away from home,so I sold him to a local guy so he could get hunted right... So rolling the dice might not be for some but every once in a while it dosent hurt...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 02-09-2018 02:40 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bones
UKC Forum Member

Genes are a big factor but you can't blame a female that really has not been given a chance to shine. A lot of guys won't hunt a female because of heat cycles messing up their hunts thus a lot of females get put on the back burners when if pushed would be good hounds instead of just a brood gyp. Seen it happen alot

Old Post 02-14-2018 05:22 PM
bones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bones Click here to Send bones a Private Message Click Here to Email bones Find more posts by bones Add bones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

My version of a brood female is one that can tree a coon. Maybe she isn’t the best but still has the ability. Maybe this female excels in hunt or treeing or locating etc. She has to have something to add. Then what ever she is weak in, I try to over compensate that.
Many top hounds have came from brood females

Old Post 02-28-2018 01:39 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Brood Females

When I started in the hunts in the 80's and early 90's you practically never drew a bnt female. Nobody wanted their coon dog to be a female because they wanted to hunt through hide season and they didn't want their hound to come into season at that time. We still had BNT's placing high and competing in the hunts even though breeders were using brood females. What has changed since then Fur market has dropped, UKC has TRL everything has been geared towards papers and titles. Folks want naturally straight pups with tree and would prefer not having those wild desire hunting gamey young dogs that have no quit. Though we have so much better training & tracking devices today to keep up with them and once they are treeing coon on a regular basis the equipment to break,train and handle them better. Which brings up another subject I once read, can't remember where or who wrote it where someone stated that the dog's of yesterday probably couldn't win or reproduce offspring today that could compete in the hunts today. That is probably very true on 80% of the frozen semen out there. But for the 20% that were producing winning coondog's before they will produce winning coondog's today. If they are not then you should reevaluate the female you are using!!

319-201-8445

Old Post 03-05-2018 04:52 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herman sanders
UKC Forum Member

Have produce both way

If the dam have the gene and it PASSES to the offspring you should have top offspring if hunted. If the dam DON'T have the gene chances are slim and none [hunted or not].

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:05 AM
herman sanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for herman sanders Click here to Send herman sanders a Private Message Click Here to Email herman sanders Find more posts by herman sanders Add herman sanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black LICK
UKC Forum Member

Having a female that works in the woods probably makes you feel better when it comes to breeding her. But the facts are until we catch up with other animal industries (equine , bovine, porcine, poultry) and start utilizing dna info we are just guessing. Most animal industries today have dna tests with the resulting markers indicating what traits those animals carry so you can breed according to the dna profile. We dna our coonhounds and the information that comes out of that test basically backs up parentage. Sure we are collecting gene markers also when we run the test but we have no idea what traits they indicate. Im sure we can measure things such as coat color ,length, ear length, foot and leg structure ect. Tracking , trailing and treeing ability are also things we can measure and select for according to dna specification but these are subjective traits meaning they are affected by opinion. Today we could probably use dna testing to modify phenotypes and change how hounds look.Subjective traits would be futher down the road and involve field collection of data of traits to select for. Until the hound industry decides to move to a system where we can collect information on the population and use dna testing, every breeding for performance traits will be rolling the dice. But then again maybe this is what the gambler in all of us lives for. JMO Jim McKenzie

Old Post 03-09-2018 05:48 PM
Black LICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black LICK Click here to Send Black LICK a Private Message Find more posts by Black LICK Add Black LICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

I would like to think if you breed a real coonhound to real deal of a coonhound that you would get a coon treeing hound,but it don't always work that way. I wish you could breed a good easy going levelheaded hound and get that,but that don't always work.

Old Post 03-10-2018 04:39 AM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote