UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Elite Handlers---
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
las123
UKC Forum Member

handler

yes everyone use there garmin,i myself use my garmin to see which direction my dog is at.then i just listen.{maybe thats why i am not elite}if only they could during competition hunts if they could delete the map part out it be a different story.so many look at the map and see how the dog is running and they call the dog for what they think the dog is gonna do.hell back in the day when we didnt have the garmin we only had our ears,if we couldnt hear the dog or find it i leave my jacket where we cut loose at and pick the dog up the next morning as it would be laying on the jacket.now-a-days.when someone i see starring at his garmin and he calls his dog and i dont hear it,i kindly ask the judge are you accepting his call,cuz i dont hear it.if he says yes i am accepting his call i ask him do you hear it,and i call for a vote.so yes i am the a hole of the cast,i just then simply say is i just want the best dog to win.in todays world there are few dogs out there that you can hear there voice 1.2 miles away.there is also another thing that should be banned..it turning the light on your dogs collar without the premission of the judge.just my 2 cents worth.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-01-2024 02:04 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by last chance
Don I would be willing to bet a person would know their dog a lot better if they wasn't staring at the Garmin 24/7!

Why would you learn your dog better with less information? Hearing the dog.... and using GPS to see exactly what it's doing takes all guess work away. We are trying to associate a dogs mouth with its action, no? If we can see those actions in real time while listening to the dog ... Why would we think that prohibits us from knowing our dogs....it's different and new, but the reality is that it enhances our ability to know our dogs.

Old Post 04-01-2024 03:03 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

GPS COLLARS

I am getting old , hearing is not as good as in my younger days and I would never turn my dog loose without the GPS COLLAR. I remember the old days even before the beep beep systems and it was miserable at times trying to locate our dogs in these mountains. I am truly grateful to have a system that helps me keep up with my dogs. Hearing is one thing and knowing where they are is another thing. Now I know if they are across the river just looking at the map something I can not tell by hearing alone, same for being across the mountain or getting close to a road, etc. Dogs today cost a small fortune or the good ones do and every thing we can use to protect them should be used. Most of these "elite" handlers are hunting another man's dogs and have a duty to protect them. Knowing what the dog is doing is essential for these handlers and they definitely need to hear their dog to call them stuck or trees. Gambling on such calls does not get them anything most of the time but minus points and they can not win doing this or win consistant as they are paid to do. When I hunted competition
I NEVER paid any attention to any other dog but mine as I knew what mine was and relied solely on my dogs bark to strike and tree. Dave

Old Post 04-01-2024 03:53 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

If I didn't have a Garmin, I would be totally lost...I have a terrible sense of direction and would not make it back to the truck. I'd have to have Old Timer come put his ear to the ground and come find me! Then again, the way he drools over Tyler Swift I'm not sure I want him looking for me! What a difference one little letter can make, huh...just messin with you Old Timer!

I think Garmins have a place and are very useful, but are also abused by some in the hunts. With or without them, you'd still have people trying to strike and tree house dogs way through yonder. "You all got me through there?!?" I'd say without a Garmin, you'd see scores come down considerably and with more consistency. Harder to gamble if you can't "see" what he's doing.

Old Post 04-01-2024 06:44 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AndyMiller
If I’m the judge you would get minus
If can’t hear him the 2 minute rule will be applied

I'd question your call and you would lose the question. this ain't PKC. But i agree with you if a handler strikes a dog no one can hear he should be minused.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 04-01-2024 10:11 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottCK 6
UKC Forum Member

I know one of these elite handlers , actually hunt with him occasionally, and I can guarantee you this , he is the dog man that everybody else thinks they are, if a dog messes up 1.5 from the truck at 4:30 in he morning , he'll let them know he’s not happy and send them on , if seen it . I’ll promise you this , if you think he needs that Garmin to spank you , you’ve already lost! Haters gonna hate, I prefer to congratulate!!!

Old Post 04-01-2024 11:43 PM
ScottCK 6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ScottCK 6 Click here to Send ScottCK 6 a Private Message Click Here to Email ScottCK 6 Find more posts by ScottCK 6 Add ScottCK 6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ScottCK 6
I know one of these elite handlers , actually hunt with him occasionally, and I can guarantee you this , he is the dog man that everybody else thinks they are, if a dog messes up 1.5 from the truck at 4:30 in he morning , he'll let them know he’s not happy and send them on , if seen it . I’ll promise you this , if you think he needs that Garmin to spank you , you’ve already lost! Haters gonna hate, I prefer to congratulate!!!

Well said.

Old Post 04-02-2024 02:35 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: GPS COLLARS

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I am getting old , hearing is not as good as in my younger days and I would never turn my dog loose without the GPS COLLAR. I remember the old days even before the beep beep systems and it was miserable at times trying to locate our dogs in these mountains. I am truly grateful to have a system that helps me keep up with my dogs. Hearing is one thing and knowing where they are is another thing. Now I know if they are across the river just looking at the map something I can not tell by hearing alone, same for being across the mountain or getting close to a road, etc. Dogs today cost a small fortune or the good ones do and every thing we can use to protect them should be used. Most of these "elite" handlers are hunting another man's dogs and have a duty to protect them. Knowing what the dog is doing is essential for these handlers and they definitely need to hear their dog to call them stuck or trees. Gambling on such calls does not get them anything most of the time but minus points and they can not win doing this or win consistant as they are paid to do. When I hunted competition
I NEVER paid any attention to any other dog but mine as I knew what mine was and relied solely on my dogs bark to strike and tree. Dave

Well said.

Old Post 04-02-2024 02:48 AM
TN Quick Check
UKC Forum Member

2(d) Other: Dog must open and be heard opening when
declared struck or treed. Otherwise, call may not
be accepted. Points may be split for position when
called positions cannot be determined.

Old Post 04-02-2024 12:13 PM
TN Quick Check is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TN Quick Check Click here to Send TN Quick Check a Private Message Click Here to Email TN Quick Check Find more posts by TN Quick Check Add TN Quick Check to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Henry
UKC Forum Member

Top of the food chain..

Boys say what you want... These are best of the best. Join find out!!!

NITECH 'PR' River Has Rizen
GRNITECH 'PR' Nowhere Hardware

Old Post 04-03-2024 02:27 AM
Josh Henry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Henry Click here to Send Josh Henry a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Henry Find more posts by Josh Henry Add Josh Henry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOGSSTRICK
UKC Forum Member

The Garmin is nothing more then another tool like a brighter light,louder squall.better thermal,etc,I dont think theres anyone out there thats called ELITE that has to have a garmin in order to call there dog or yours as far as thats concerned.The guys that seem to have a nac for winning put the work in have a great idea of what it takes to win out there at this day and time and certainly know what a dog is doing without looking at the garmin.In my experience everytime ive used the garmin to tree a dog ive drawn a pump,It takes the patience away that i feel is needed to win.Just my 2 cents which doesnt matter for anymore then 2 cents.

Last edited by DOGSSTRICK on 04-10-2024 at 05:50 PM

Old Post 04-10-2024 05:47 PM
DOGSSTRICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOGSSTRICK Click here to Send DOGSSTRICK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOGSSTRICK Find more posts by DOGSSTRICK Add DOGSSTRICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote