UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Missing coon by a tree
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Missing coon by a tree

The dog I’ve been hunting hard keeps me scratching my head. Most nights he’ll drive one in there and have the coon. Occasionally (three times this month) he has went in and struck a track, moved it a couple hundred, fell treed and was slick but the coon was sitting a tree or two over. He’s never had any issues on a tree with another dog and has no reason to not want to be on the tree the coon is in. My only thought is that what i think is him picking up a track and driving it, is really him getting downwind of layup coon by a couple hundred yards and he’s getting treed at the last place he smells the coon. He’s not just falling treed, every instance this has happened he’s been open and seemed to be either working a track or winding for a couple hundred yards or more before he gets treed. Anyone had one doing this or have any advice on the subject?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-30-2021 01:36 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Just pull him off and send him the direction of the correct tree.If you do that he should figure it out. He is most likely winding and missing but there will be more scent on the correct tree most likely.

Old Post 11-30-2021 02:17 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I see this most often in our Russian Olive trees.... coons travel up and down them all day and night feeding... For whatever reason when I see my dog do this... it seems to usually be him treed on a Russian Olive, a tree or two over from where the coon is.

Old Post 12-01-2021 01:45 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

May be winding the coon and settling where he gets the best scent. Years ago I hunted with a dog that winded a lot of coon out of the truck. Sometimes he would miss at the tree and Kenny would light a cigarette, blow the smoke in the air and see which way it went. Then look up wind a tree or two and find the coon. But your dog is a lot closer than some I have hunted with in the last few years, lol.

Old Post 12-01-2021 08:17 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Coon crossing into another tree

I seen a coon cross over five trees, I thought my dog was slick like you. I started to put the heat on that coon and watched it cross back over 5 trees and went into the tree the dog was teeing on. I learned alot that night. If the limbs are touching each other , your dog are not coming up slick. Coons are smarter then people sometimes.

DAVID PENLEY (828)- 635-6881

GRCH GRNITECH HONEY CREEK SPiDER R.I.P.
THE #1 REPRODUCER OUT OF GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK HARRY !

CHKC SUPER STUD, PKC CH, GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK SPIDER (SEMEN)

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PKC CH GRCH NITECH LEGEND'S LONE PINE TAR HTX (SEMEN)

THE TRUTH DOESN'T HURT ANYONE, IT JUST
PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH' PR ' WHITE'S LITTLE QUEENIE
( GRNITECH ' PR ' TURPIN'S INSANE CAIN x
CH GRNITECH 'PR' FROST BITE ) OUT OF TRACKMAN.
5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !
5th PLACE FINALIST 2017 WORLD HUNT

PKC CH GRCH NITECH "PR" LONE PINE TAR HTX
( Grnitech Lone Pine Legend and Grniech Stylish Daisy ) Triple Coma and Lone pine as close as your going to get it.
Tar is being hunted and being showed in UKC. Being hunted in pkc also.

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue
( Grch Grnitech "PR" Insane Madcap and
Insane Gypsy ) " a natural"

Old Post 12-08-2021 11:44 PM
david.e.penley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david.e.penley Click here to Send david.e.penley a Private Message Click Here to Email david.e.penley Visit david.e.penley's homepage! Find more posts by david.e.penley Add david.e.penley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon crossing into another tree

quote:
Originally posted by david.e.penley
I seen a coon cross over five trees, I thought my dog was slick like you. I started to put the heat on that coon and watched it cross back over 5 trees and went into the tree the dog was teeing on. I learned alot that night. If the limbs are touching each other , your dog are not coming up slick. Coons are smarter then people sometimes.

David, I agree somewhat in that coon definitely change trees sometimes, but if a dog is doing that a lot of times, it is just wind treeing as some other posters have suggested. I have seen several coons cross over into other trees, but most coons do not cross over into other trees. The fact that they do sometimes cross over into other trees make it really hard to surmise if that is the case or not. Just like some coons will run in the ground while most coons do not. You have to decide based on the dogs accuracy and how offer they miss by a tree or two what the dog is actually doing.Dave

Old Post 12-09-2021 02:25 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Winding, coons crossing trees............... Maybe some dogs are just not good locators.

Old Post 12-09-2021 02:04 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've seen both.

Old Post 12-10-2021 01:06 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I've seen both.

X2, A experienced hunter that knows his dog can usually tell what his dog is doing, wind treeing or barking up the tree the coon actually climbed if it did cross over. A real accurate dog will have most of them in the tree they are barking up, that does not mean that a coon never crosses over to another tree they certainly can and do cross trees from time to time regardless of who does not believe they will. All a dog has is it's nose, never seen a dog with a 400.00 light to help them locate the coon. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-10-2021 03:43 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Missing coon by a tree

quote:
Originally posted by BradD20
The dog I’ve been hunting hard keeps me scratching my head. Most nights he’ll drive one in there and have the coon. Occasionally (three times this month) he has went in and struck a track, moved it a couple hundred, fell treed and was slick but the coon was sitting a tree or two over. He’s never had any issues on a tree with another dog and has no reason to not want to be on the tree the coon is in. My only thought is that what i think is him picking up a track and driving it, is really him getting downwind of layup coon by a couple hundred yards and he’s getting treed at the last place he smells the coon. He’s not just falling treed, every instance this has happened he’s been open and seemed to be either working a track or winding for a couple hundred yards or more before he gets treed. Anyone had one doing this or have any advice on the subject?

BE CAREFUL !!!!!

I'm going to have to tell on myself... acted like a true rookie tonight. Hudson (young Walker male) runs a pretty nice track... moves it about 300 yards, make a short loss, goes to treeing. He's close to the road so I drive to him.

I walk in and I see them bright eyes shinning and looking at me in the top of a big old tree.... but as I get closer I realize dumb Hudson is treed 20 yards to the left of the coon. I work to him and see him treed in a 10' tall stump in the middle of a bunch of brush... I shine the stump for 30 seconds and see nothing. I KNOW he missed it. I scold him off the tree and he wanders off. 5 minutes of wandering around he ends up treeing the coon I seen.

I get a nice video of this young hound treed and feel good we ended on a good note, but frustrated he came up short on his own. I leash him up, cross the creek and look across the field and what would you guess I see looking at me on top of that 10' stump! Mr. Coon.... wasn't sure but think I could hear it laughing at me.

Trust your dog... they may know more than we do at times.

Old Post 12-24-2021 03:56 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Coon crossing into another tree

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
David, I agree somewhat in that coon definitely change trees sometimes, but if a dog is doing that a lot of times, it is just wind treeing as some other posters have suggested. I have seen several coons cross over into other trees, but most coons do not cross over into other trees. The fact that they do sometimes cross over into other trees make it really hard to surmise if that is the case or not. Just like some coons will run in the ground while most coons do not. You have to decide based on the dogs accuracy and how offer they miss by a tree or two what the dog is actually doing.Dave

Only happen one time, it just showed me once that coon walked back to the tree the dog was teeing on. Made me a believer that a coon will travel across several trees , not just to the next tree.

DAVID PENLEY (828)- 635-6881

GRCH GRNITECH HONEY CREEK SPiDER R.I.P.
THE #1 REPRODUCER OUT OF GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK HARRY !

CHKC SUPER STUD, PKC CH, GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK SPIDER (SEMEN)

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PKC CH GRCH NITECH LEGEND'S LONE PINE TAR HTX (SEMEN)

THE TRUTH DOESN'T HURT ANYONE, IT JUST
PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH' PR ' WHITE'S LITTLE QUEENIE
( GRNITECH ' PR ' TURPIN'S INSANE CAIN x
CH GRNITECH 'PR' FROST BITE ) OUT OF TRACKMAN.
5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !
5th PLACE FINALIST 2017 WORLD HUNT

PKC CH GRCH NITECH "PR" LONE PINE TAR HTX
( Grnitech Lone Pine Legend and Grniech Stylish Daisy ) Triple Coma and Lone pine as close as your going to get it.
Tar is being hunted and being showed in UKC. Being hunted in pkc also.

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue
( Grch Grnitech "PR" Insane Madcap and
Insane Gypsy ) " a natural"

Old Post 12-24-2021 04:34 AM
david.e.penley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david.e.penley Click here to Send david.e.penley a Private Message Click Here to Email david.e.penley Visit david.e.penley's homepage! Find more posts by david.e.penley Add david.e.penley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had a few that I wished only missed by ONE tree! 😂
A few of them u couldn’t find a coon for hundreds of yards around….

Old Post 12-24-2021 06:55 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote