UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Your Thoughts on Coon Squallers and what makes one work.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Your Thoughts on Coon Squallers and what makes one work.

After Church today, I will share with you my thoughts on what I have come to learn about squalling at the tree. And
Please, I don't want to make this about any particular brand of squaller, as there is a lot out there. Just what have you found and how you use it to either make a coon look or get nervous in a tree and move around or come down. Perhaps what pitch or sound or noise you like to make at the tree, to get one looking.

I have a video I will post later of a coon running up and down a tree. It was taken Friday morning just after daylight. My thoughts on why the coon did what it did, will be included. It would be about a great squaller or any great blowing techniques. It will be about circumstances.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-29-2018 03:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Years ago, I climbed a tree with a squaller on a lanyard in the bib pocket of my overalls. As I slid down the tree, the lanyard hooked a knot and very nearly hung me. I had too much momentum down to stop myself, and nothing to pull back up on. Cut my neck pretty bad and almost had me choked down before the lanyard broke.

After that, I learned to squall with my mouth. I can get a high percentage of coons to look, and a fair number to come out when I want to. I think the secret is in the process, and the time of year much more than in the sound produced. A sow with kittens will nearly always come out. And a boar in February that's rutting will sometimes come out and take them on a run.

Tying the dogs back away from the base of a tree and shaking a bush or stirring the leaves to imitate a fight works wonders. Same thing with splashing around if there's water near the base of the tree. Keeping a bright light off of them, or at least out of their eyes helps alot too.

Last edited by Cory Highfill on 07-29-2018 at 03:50 PM

Old Post 07-29-2018 03:45 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Cory that circumstances such as sex and time of year have a lot to do with a coon moving around or jumping out. But I have found that putting a very bright light on them will make them move around in an attempt to hide.
I think that different squallers are better suited to different people and their technique. While one brand/type of squaller might work better for one person, another brand/type works better for another person. And some people have perfected squalling with their mouth only to where that works best for them. So there is no one size fits all squaller. Tha Banshee Squaller even comes with 3 reed packages that allows the reeds to be changed out to produce 3 different sounds.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-29-2018 at 04:32 PM

Old Post 07-29-2018 04:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Squallers.....

I have tried Many, Many different Squallers over the years......But I do have my Favorite as far as getting one to look.........The Boss Squaller....!!!

I bought the Famous so called Lifetime Squaller at Autumn Oaks and the first Winter it froze up on me.....yeah I could have sent it back but its a pain un the rearend to have to mess with it.....Wont Ever buy another.

I have had good luck with the old reliable Mity Max also.
This Boss Squaller will get them to look fast.
The last 4 nights of Hunting with some Buddies and the have the big high priced squallers but no luck with them. Soon as I blow the Boss.......Bam there he is...!!!
Great Squaller Bruce.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 07-29-2018 04:45 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Years ago, I climbed a tree with a squaller on a lanyard in the bib pocket of my overalls. As I slid down the tree, the lanyard hooked a knot and very nearly hung me. I had too much momentum down to stop myself, and nothing to pull back up on. Cut my neck pretty bad and almost had me choked down before the lanyard broke.

After that, I learned to squall with my mouth. I can get a high percentage of coons to look, and a fair number to come out when I want to. I think the secret is in the process, and the time of year much more than in the sound produced. A sow with kittens will nearly always come out. And a boar in February that's rutting will sometimes come out and take them on a run.

Tying the dogs back away from the base of a tree and shaking a bush or stirring the leaves to imitate a fight works wonders. Same thing with splashing around if there's water near the base of the tree. Keeping a bright light off of them, or at least out of their eyes helps alot too.

Exactly, after 60 years experience you learn these tricks of the trade. The brand squaller doesn’t matter. If you use a squaller, cheaper the better, especially if you have to ditch one. Technique is the key.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 07-29-2018 05:03 PM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think Corey covered the basis and I would like expand just a little and add a few things.

I was taught early on about 50 years ago that the Squaller represented a coon fighting and the one in the tree would come and help out. As time passed I have also felt they are just curious and certain sounds arouse them. As far as which squaller, I learned a long time ago like Corey to use my mouth. Only problem with that is it becomes a habit and use to end your night early in a UKC cast if your forget and make the noise with your mouth. Like your use to doing. So now I try and tote a squaller as I seem to get horse using my mouth.

1. I think the time of the year has a lot to do with the coon looking. As a matter of fact the time of the month does also. Few days around the full moon. many of the coon will be in the top of these pines with their nose straight up and not looking anywhere but straight up.

2. I have found that you tree some coons in a tree, they are not comfortable in. Maybe it is a rutting boar and far from home. Maybe your dogs pushed it hard and it went up a tree near the side of a road. I mention the side of a road because I have had that happen many times and those coon seem to be some of the easiest to make jump out. Made several jump out with just my mouth.

3. A sow with kittens close by.. Will get real nervous and want to come down and whip some dogs if she thinks the squaller is one of her kittens getting caught.

I think there is a different reaction in the coon from the sound. Some get curious and just want to look. Some get nervous and are looking to get out of that tree.
The sound of rattling aluminum works well and the SERESTO COLLAR CANS withs some small bolts or nuts in them work wonders to get one to look. Tapping the tree with a machete or stick works well along with pulling vines.

I have never had much success in squalling one out of a hole. But I have read about many a hunt won because someone was able to. I would love to hear if there is a special technique to that.

The video attached is from Friday morning after the sun came up. This coon from the time I blew the squaller was looking for a fight. Corey who has better eyes said the coon was a sow with milk. That makes sense that she thought a kitten was in danger.

I think we all have are preference on squallers, but I feel the bottom line on what a squaller can do. Depends a lot on the situation you treed the coon in.

Notice our underbrush is so thick, you can't even see the dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE0nK22pyU

Old Post 07-29-2018 06:48 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

An oldtimer once told me that a Prince Albert can with several bb's in would make them look.

Old Post 07-29-2018 07:08 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

"2. I have found that you tree some coons in a tree, they are not comfortable in. Maybe it is a rutting boar and far from home. Maybe your dogs pushed it hard and it went up a tree near the side of a road. I mention the side of a road because I have had that happen many times and those coon seem to be some of the easiest to make jump out. Made several jump out with just my mouth."

I've noticed this hunting out of a boat alot. Coons that get surprised and go up a tree out of of urgency seem much more willing to look or move than those that were laid up or treed at the end of a long feed track.
I was fishing not long ago and watched a sow with kittens feeding down the bank. I got to squalling and splashing the water, and had her swim almost out to the boat. I powered up and she went back to the bank and climbed a tree, so i shut down and squalled her down and back into the water again. The boys that were with me were pretty impressed! Saw a boar (I assume) later, and he turned and ran off when I squalled at him, and they weren't so impressed anymore...

Last edited by Cory Highfill on 07-30-2018 at 03:01 AM

Old Post 07-29-2018 09:02 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

a call with the sound of a fawn bleating works as good as anything i have found .

Old Post 07-30-2018 01:44 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Years ago I drew out with a guy on a cast. Every tree we made he had us tie the dogs back and turn out our lights. He would make a chattering sound that wasn’t loud. When we turned out lights back on the coon or coons would be hanging on the side of the trunk of the tree just a few feet up. I had never seen anything like it before or since.

Old Post 07-30-2018 05:23 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The results with the same squaller this morning were not as good as last Friday Morning when we made the video.

Just before daylight it made the coon look and move just a little. Just after daylight the one treed, I barely got it to move with the squaller.

Guess the good news is two trees and two coon. Thats a good morning.

Old Post 07-30-2018 01:36 PM
mike thomason
UKC Forum Member

Enjoyed the video

All coons dont react the same
Some people just make it sound better just like all bucks dont respond to a grunt call the same way. Some come to it and others go the other way.

Old Post 07-30-2018 04:04 PM
mike thomason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike thomason Click here to Send mike thomason a Private Message Find more posts by mike thomason Add mike thomason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Bruce for posting.

Great conversations.

I can't blow a squaller to save my life. So glad my Dad taught me to use my mouth 50 years ago.

Old Post 07-30-2018 06:42 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Made a tree last night. saw an eye up high for just a second. Squalled and moved around. No response. After looking and squalling for 2-4 minutes and seeing nothing. All of a sudden two eyes looking at me, squall a little more and he's moving around then I see another also moving. Then they start coming down the tree. Now what I don't know is what made the difference. At first they wouldn't look when all of a sudden they're want to jump out. If I changed how i was squalling i couldn't tell it.

Old Post 07-30-2018 07:22 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

There are diaphragm calls that do a much better job than our squallers do. The problem is most guys cant use a simple squaller so they really could'nt use a diaphragm.

Coons respond best 2 times a year. During the rut and now when they have kittens. The rest of the time you can get them to look but they do not move around as good.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-30-2018 10:20 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Get a cheap rubber balloon blow it up and squeak it like when you were a kid drives coons nuts !!

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2018 11:01 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Calling coons is no different than calling any other game species. Yes there is a knack to it, and yes some will respond differently during different times of the year. If there is another human on the planet that studies calling coons treed by dogs more than me I would love to visit with them, because I live for it. I enjoy it just as much as the listening to the work the dog did to put it there.

There are three factors that dictate how a coon reacts to the sound of squalling.

1. The tree. If a dog runs a track hard enough to push a coon up a tree it wasnt planning on climbing, that coon will bail almost as soon as you make a sound. Layup coons are harder to get to move, but it can most definitely be done

2. Time of year. Sows with kittens react quicker than most, especially if the kits are not with her. Rutting boars are the same way

3. Age of the coon. Young coons look easy, but dont move around as easily as coons that have been around a while

When it comes to squallers they are a very under rated tool. Knowing how to use one has won many casts and will continue to win many more.

The main failure that coon hunters have when squalling coons is a simple one. They dont learn to blow their call. Coons react to pitch just as much as they do anything. Being able to control a call from the high end to the low end give the operator the ability to use whatever pitch is going to trip that particular coons trigger.

To say that all squallers are equal, or that any of them will work is simply not true, and as a call maker I even find it slightly offensive.

Sure you can get coons to look at anything sometimes, but it is the coon that doesnt want to look that matters in a cast, or when you are hunting a pup that is coming on strong. A squaller needs range first of all, and it has be able to go from soft to loud, and have both a high and low pitch, and everything in between to cover what you need to make a coon look that wouldnt otherwise.

Now if we are talking about moving one, calling them out of a hole, or even making them bail, dont give up to fast. I have watched coons that I have hit loud and hard for several minutes longer than most people would call, suddenly start moving, and not stop till they hit the ground. Once they are up and moving you have to keep calling, and calling hard. Most times when you stop, they stop.

There are dozens of other subtle nuances to calling treed coons, and I can go on for days, but those are my observations for what they are worth.

Old Post 07-31-2018 03:25 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Josh, I couldn't agree more with your post. I take alot of pride in being able to "walk one down" bare mouthed, but one thing you really hit on that I failed to is that a man has to really dig in and work when you have a coon moving and intend to squall him out; your intensity and volume has to convince him to keep going once he's started. And therein lies the beauty of a squaller vs mouth squalling. I have to produce twice as much air "bare-mouthed" as someone with a squaller does. Lots of times, when I have to take a breath, a coon that's moving will pause or find a convenient fork to "hang up" in. A squaller constricts the airway across a reed, reducing the amount of air required to produce sound. My wife would tell you I produce no shortage of hot air, but I can't count the number of times I've seen spots trying to work a coon down.

Old Post 07-31-2018 04:16 AM
mike bennett
UKC Forum Member

I have heard of people using a Harmonica. I once hunted with a guy and all he used was a plastic 20 ounce coke bottle filled with a few rocks. He would rub that thing up and down the tree. My dogs sure wanted to get over there to him. If he is there usually he will look at something. As far as calls-if you want one buy one. I must have about every brand made and my favorite is a deer horn with a reed in it I bought at a hunt for $3.

Old Post 07-31-2018 06:44 PM
mike bennett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike bennett Click here to Send mike bennett a Private Message Click Here to Email mike bennett Find more posts by mike bennett Add mike bennett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Squallers.....

I never understood the point of wanting to squall one out of the tree ?
For what, one to bail out and the Dogs run it again ?
Myself......I just want to see Eyes and thats good enough for me.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 07-31-2018 08:21 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

I drew out with a guy in Missouri that had a whiskey glass and a piece of pink insulating foam board. He would rub the foam against the glass to create a squeaking sound. Said that it works great, but I didn't see any results that night.

Old Post 08-02-2018 08:09 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Squallers.....

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I never understood the point of wanting to squall one out of the tree ?
For what, one to bail out and the Dogs run it again ?
Myself......I just want to see Eyes and thats good enough for me.
Tim

When I first started coon hunting we did everything to get one out without a bullet in it. We went to see a fight. I didnt even know what a squaller was. We climbed trees, cut saplings and whacked them with it. I even got pretty good at shooting small limbs out from under them. I'm a lot older now and definitely don't want to see a fight. All that leads to is vet bills, but it really gets a pup fired up to see one crawling down the trunk of the tree.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-03-2018 05:37 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

lol

'If' there gonna look,it don't take much.
Most squallers I seen/used scare the Coon more than anything.

Treed a cpl kitten 1 time,used Chatter box. Moma came out of den,climbed down tree next to her Kits tree.Came right up to me,thought I had her baby.I don't think they can see soft red light.Once i went to white,she was gone.back to red and squall,she'd come back.Pretty neat.left them all alone and got out of there.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 08-04-2018 07:01 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

I have used everything from gravels in a pop can to a a small billy jack to beat on tree but having a hound that. Actually tree real live coon is the key can’t look if they ain’t there and I’m not knocking squallers we got several different ones we own a hunting supply store. Just saying it’s easy if they are there

Old Post 08-04-2018 11:02 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Yea, they're kinda like elephants; easy to see if they're there.

Old Post 08-04-2018 11:48 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote