UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > LED Heads
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Brandon Gudgeon
UKC Forum Member

LED Heads

Seems all the light options are built right into the caps nowadays. I have a belt light with a G2 head that has never worked right since I got it. It shorts in an out, and I've just tolerated it as it doesn't stay out very long. It has been sent in a couple times but continues to act up. In trying to prevent spending the amount of money it takes for a new light, are there still options out there for just buying LED heads? I haven't really been keeping up with gear for the last couple years.

To clarify, I'm just looking at replacing the head and cord, and keeping my Blazer belt light battery pack.

Thanks

NiteCh 'PR' Beast Mode Tramp
- 1st Runner Up Jr Young Guns 2014 National BBOA Days - 300+
- 9th place (Friday night) 2014 National BBOA Days - 250+
- 1st place opens 2014 WI State BBOA Championship - 837.5+
- UKC 2nd - 100+
- UKC 1st - 225+
- 2015 Zone 3 BBOA Championship King of Hunt
- 2015 Iowa State BBCHA King of Hunt (1st place NtCh)
- 2016 Zone 3 BBOA Championship 1st place NtCh (Fri Night)

R.I.P.

Ch NiteCh 'PR' Gabby's Tree Poundin Bocephus

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-24-2017 03:38 PM
Brandon Gudgeon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon Gudgeon Click here to Send Brandon Gudgeon a Private Message Click Here to Email Brandon Gudgeon Find more posts by Brandon Gudgeon Add Brandon Gudgeon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Yes there are options but the LED Head has to be matched to the voltage of the belt pack. Generally with LED lights it is a range of voltage more than a specific voltage but it can be specific also. I would call Blazer and tell them about the belt pack you have and ask them if they have a LED Head for it.

Old Post 10-24-2017 06:16 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brandon Gudgeon
UKC Forum Member

That makes sense. It has done the same thing on my 26V pro lite and my 21v blazer. I guess there is always that chance the head wasn't right for either battery pack

- UKC 2nd - 100+
- UKC 1st - 225+

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-24-2017 06:25 PM
Brandon Gudgeon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon Gudgeon Click here to Send Brandon Gudgeon a Private Message Click Here to Email Brandon Gudgeon Find more posts by Brandon Gudgeon Add Brandon Gudgeon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

In the beginning it generally it was 21 volts and up and 18 volts or less. I think the head you have was for the higher voltage pack but wouldn't be fair to say without seeing and testing it.

When you say shorts out do you mean it will burn bright and then all of a sudden dim down and still burn but maybe half the brightness? Some of the heads had a thermal control and when they got hot they would back the light down. In a area with no air flow sometimes they would kick up and down.

With those lights also when they went dead the just turned OFF. There was no dimming of the light as the battery ran down.

Old Post 10-24-2017 06:38 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brandon Gudgeon
UKC Forum Member

It will sometimes just go dim, but it will cut out to complete blackness too. I rarely have it turned all the way up, and have turned down the rheostat switch on the head and it still cuts in and out.

- UKC 2nd - 100+
- UKC 1st - 225+

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-24-2017 06:57 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like a driver issue, I cant remember but I think it uses a buck driver that should be good for 15 to 30 something volts. You could give blazer or Sam Davis a call about a head for it, but for the cost of one there are decent lights out there that are not much more.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 10-24-2017 10:37 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark nethery
UKC Forum Member

first generation led lights sucked

But i have a new 4 volt boss light with old style spot light that is not that led whit it like the old wheat light color spot. I love it. If they are there I can find them now. When leaves off.

Home off
SUPER STAKES SIRE
UKC DNA Profiled
GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter (Grch GrNtCh Crows an Grants Cutter x GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Hope )
At stud.300 negative Brucellosis

Pr Trick Magic Dixie ( GrchGrntch2 Charley Creek Big Mike x Grch GrNtCh Trick Magic Trudy)

PR Git Ryght Ryta. (GrNtCh Kant Git Ryght x GrNtCh Magic Style Dolly )

Pr Stylish Cutter Jr ( GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter x Pr Trick Magic Dixie sister t Bad Butch )

Semen stored at Peewee valley
Grntch Stylish Hammer is a 2019 UKC preformance sire. DNA profile in UKC and PKC see stud dog page for ad on GrNtch Stylish Hammer 👍🇺🇸

Old Post 10-25-2017 06:48 PM
mark nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark nethery Click here to Send mark nethery a Private Message Find more posts by mark nethery Add mark nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrs1087
UKC Forum Member

It might not be a dimmable led if so it could cause funny things to happen like your saying.

Old Post 10-26-2017 03:25 AM
jrs1087 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jrs1087 Click here to Send jrs1087 a Private Message Click Here to Email jrs1087 Find more posts by jrs1087 Add jrs1087 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Louise Clark
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
It sounds like a driver issue, I cant remember but I think it uses a buck driver that should be good for 15 to 30 something volts. You could give blazer or Sam Davis a call about a head for it, but for the cost of one there are decent lights out there that are not much more.

I have to agree with you that it is likely not the difference between a 21 or 28 V light since the buck driver generally has quite a wide range on the input side and LEDs run 3-5V, you will not have an LED left with 21V and no step down.

I would lean toward bad connections or heat sinking. If it has always been that way it could be the wrong dimmer for the LED, an incandescent dimmer is different than a dimmer designed for LEDs although both will work, just one better than the other a standard dimmer does not work well on LEDs.

I still have a working Prohead and can't find a good reason to replace it, but I am thinking about building one into an old 5100 head that is lying around. I have wanted to build one for years, just never got around to it.

I think a fun option would be to add some RGB LEDs to change to the color of your light to exactly what you want, you could get that old yellow light color back with the turn of a knob, then forget the lens cover and turn it red with the turn of a knob. And when white works best, no problem there either. You could turn it green, orange, or almost any other color!

Louise

Good luck!

Last edited by Louise Clark on 08-13-2018 at 01:08 PM

Old Post 08-13-2018 12:42 PM
Louise Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Louise Clark Click here to Send Louise Clark a Private Message Find more posts by Louise Clark Add Louise Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote