UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt rule question-Camera
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I can yean see it. Twenty years from now, Allen and Pat sitting on a tailgate discussing who's drone can find the most coon.

Aim small miss small

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2014 02:38 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Frederick
UKC Forum Member

Good idea make all the clubs get a computer ,,most the small clubs are doing good to pay the light bill!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 05-25-2014 02:51 PM
Jim Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Frederick Click here to Send Jim Frederick a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Frederick Add Jim Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

Wasn't it nice when sportsman took hounds to the woods and the best dog would win.
We are getting away from what we are there for.

PKC CH, GRNITECH Beckham's Hillbilly Bones

Old Post 05-25-2014 03:14 PM
Billy Beckham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Beckham Click here to Send Billy Beckham a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Beckham Find more posts by Billy Beckham Add Billy Beckham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Question!

quote:
Originally posted by JTROTT
Infrared light is light! A thermal imager uses infrared light! They are light emitting devices! They "Put Out" light from them!

A light gathering nite vision device gathers ambient light, so that is correct, it is not a lite and can't and should not be used.

But if it emits light from it, is it not a "Light"????

Can you see what that light is showing you with just your eyes?
Or do you need some kind of light gathering device?

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 05-25-2014 05:37 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JTROTT
UKC Forum Member

You can see the light!

NtCh ch'pr'Ingram's Smokin' Tony "Smoke" (3 wins toward Grand)(Kansas Junior x Stender's Hawkeye Rose)
'pr' Stone Cold Drifter (Smoke x Ragin Black Little Bit)

James Trott - (256)404-7771

Old Post 06-08-2014 12:30 AM
JTROTT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JTROTT Click here to Send JTROTT a Private Message Click Here to Email JTROTT Find more posts by JTROTT Add JTROTT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Question!

quote:
Originally posted by JTROTT
Infrared light is light! A thermal imager uses infrared light! They are light emitting devices! They "Put Out" light from them!

A light gathering nite vision device gathers ambient light, so that is correct, it is not a lite and can't and should not be used.

But if it emits light from it, is it not a "Light"????

Not exactly true...a thermal image device is detecting only. It sees the difference in heat between objects, it does not emit anything at all. I think you might be confused with a night vision device with an infrared "illuminator." Only the illuminator itself does shine out or emit infrared light to help illuminate the target {or make eyes glow.}
A thermal imager cannot be detected in use. Neither can night vision, unless as above it is used with an illuminator. It's a matter of being active {emitting or shining} or passive {detecting/receiving or just looking.}

Old Post 06-08-2014 01:06 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

Re: Phone app

quote:
Originally posted by Tbaker
I still believe UKC should come up with a scorecard app for smart phones, all clubs to have a computer. Cast comes in and downloads the score card. dogs are placed accordingly and scores and report get emailed to UKC. this would work for bench shows, water races-everything. Just think of the time, paper and such saved. look at all the trees saved by UKC.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA BUT I DOUBT IT WOULD WORK. I DO BRIDGE INSPECTION FOR THE STATE OF MARYLAND. THEY ARE UNDER CONTRACT TO USE VERIZON PHONES AND OUR LAP TOPS ARE USING A VERIZON HOT SHOT, SO WE CAN SUBMITT REPORTS TO OFFICE THREE HOURS AWAY. SOUNDS GOOD. IT ONLY WORKS IN SOME AREAS. IT SEEMS THE VERIZON PHONES DO NOT WORK WELL IN THE AREA WE WORK. SWITCHING US TO AT & T SYSTEM DUE TO IT WORKING IN OUR AREA. SO I DOUBT EVERYONES SMART PHONES WOULD WORK WELL. IT WOULD BE NICE.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE AN APP FROM UKC, SO WE COULD ACCESS THE UKC SITE FASTER.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 06-10-2014 11:52 AM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug A
UKC Forum Member

"I WOULD LIKE TO SEE AN APP FROM UKC, SO WE COULD ACCESS THE UKC SITE FASTER."

I know you were serious but I had a good chuckle when I read that since at least once a week it seems that ukc's website crashes. Baby steps, baby steps.

Old Post 06-10-2014 01:13 PM
Doug A is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug A Click here to Send Doug A a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug A Find more posts by Doug A Add Doug A to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenelero
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
I can yean see it. Twenty years from now, Allen and Pat sitting on a tailgate discussing who's drone can find the most coon.

Actually, this future in not so far... :O

Old Post 02-28-2017 06:20 PM
kenelero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenelero Click Here to Email kenelero Find more posts by kenelero Add kenelero to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

What is the reasoning of not being able too use a mirror. I know it's been that way for years. It has been used in the other kennel clubs for years so what is Ukc reasoning for not allowing mirrors.

Old Post 02-28-2017 08:15 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I know a guy that has a picture of a coon up in a den on his phone. He uses it every time that his dog trees on a den with a hole in the bottom. There is no telling how many plus points that he has gotten from that one picture.

Old Post 02-28-2017 10:07 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bphart8530
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I know a guy that has a picture of a coon up in a den on his phone. He uses it every time that his dog trees on a den with a hole in the bottom. There is no telling how many plus points that he has gotten from that one picture.

Why not make the man take a video?

Old Post 03-01-2017 03:04 AM
bphart8530 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bphart8530 Click here to Send bphart8530 a Private Message Find more posts by bphart8530 Add bphart8530 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Your answer is no cell phone to take a pic in a hole , no infrared to find the location of a coon to then shine with your light, no mirrors allowed to look in a hole. All of the above are used in other kc's with no problems so will probably eventually make to this side of the world too just not yet. My opinion we are out there to tree coons and score them and anything that can help a dog get credit for treeing one is a plus. Many have all sorts of reasons against all 3 but the bottom line is the less coons you find the less theirs have to tree to win.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-01-2017 03:55 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom anderson
UKC Forum Member

So when you take a pic with your phone and it's empty let me guess you now want to circle it 🤑

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:01 AM
Tom anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom anderson Click here to Send Tom anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Tom anderson Add Tom anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Guys the infra red doesn't work so well anyway.

The trees hold heat in the summer so the entire tree lights up. Couldn't even see a cat that ran into the woods in front of us. We could see it in the field but as soon as it went in the woods it blended in with the other stuff, an it was a big ole yeller house cat LOL.

Old Post 03-01-2017 04:28 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pttm08
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Beckham
Wasn't it nice when sportsman took hounds to the woods and the best dog would win.
We are getting away from what we are there for.

Took the words out of my mouth. I am fairly new to the competition side. From the few bad casts I have seen and been on it would not matter what device you used the person was not willing to man up and say hey looks like they missed it and go on. Instead of all the rule changes how bout realize that dogs aren't perfect and go out and let them do what ever they are going to and enjoy the fellowship and tales being told waiting on them.

Home of

PR CH Big Blue Buster HTX
PR CH Angle Plantation's Red Jasper

Let's get Ticked

Old Post 03-01-2017 02:20 PM
pttm08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pttm08 Click here to Send pttm08 a Private Message Click Here to Email pttm08 Find more posts by pttm08 Add pttm08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't believe the picture will ever float. To easy to cheat using that option. A mirror may one day be legal, but the I think the reason they are now not legal is it comes under the disturbing of a den. While it may cause no harm at all, I have heard that reason used before as the reason you can not use one. I personally do not know the reason why, other than it is against the rules, and until made ok, it will be enforced that way.

The infrared camera thing is a joke. I went crazy and bought one to use while pleasure hunting and just to see how many times my dog was messing up, or I just couldn't see that he/she was right. The one I ought was about $400.00 and that money would have been better spent by digging a hole and putting it in there. Had I done that, at least I could have dug it up to use it now. There are many models of these things on the market, and until you get to the ones that are of Fire department and military grade worthy, they are junk! Of course the good ones cost $25,000.00 and up. Oh they would work great, but these wanna be's are not worth the money you pay for them. take my advice and bank your money back and just get you a better dog in the future.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 03-01-2017 02:36 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Mr Johnson, i spent the same $400 and came to the same conclusion.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 03-01-2017 02:39 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

If I'm not smart enough to figure out the pic some guy is showing me with a coon in it wasn't taken at the tree I'm standing at I've got bigger problems that trying to win a coon hunt.

As for using the infrared devices.... USE EM! all they do when they work is show you where the coon is. You can't score a coon based on what the device is showing you, you still have to find the coon with your naked eye. I have a FLIR infrared and there have been times when I found a coon with it that I'd overlooked and times when I used it to confirm that what I was looking at was actually a coon. My eyes aren't near what they used to be.

Last edited by Chris.S on 03-01-2017 at 08:46 PM

Old Post 03-01-2017 03:20 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
.....There are many models of these things on the market, and until you get to the ones that are of Fire department and military grade worthy, they are junk! Of course the good ones cost $25,000.00 and up.....

I have a FLIR thermal weapon sight {military grade} and it will show you whether or not an animal is in the tree winter, spring, summer and fall. It will not show you if the animal is a coon or possum, cat or porcupine. As stated, it just shows you where to look. Having one of the better thermal scopes that is for real is a clear advantage in a hunt. The person using it will for sure know where to look. The good thermals are also a definite advantage for training purposes you know whether or not there is a live animal in the tree your dog is treed on. What it cannot do is look thru the side of the tree into a den...that's Hollywood and only the ones they have can do that.
The problem with making these things legal to use in a hunt is that not everyone can afford one...to be fair each cast would have to have access to one and every tree would have to be scanned. If you spend the money and the others in the cast/hunt don't then why should you find their coons for them??? For every sportsman that would shine every tree, even it means he will lose the lead...there are ten others that will use it for themselves only.
The other issue is that if you can use it for yourself, do you get to circle the points if you don't see a heat bloom of any kind in a tree full of leaves that is clearly slick????? If not why??? The rest of the cast could tree up the same type of leafy tree and it's automatic circle for them....

Old Post 03-01-2017 07:42 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
I have a FLIR thermal weapon sight {military grade} and it will show you whether or not an animal is in the tree winter, spring, summer and fall. It will not show you if the animal is a coon or possum, cat or porcupine. As stated, it just shows you where to look. Having one of the better thermal scopes that is for real is a clear advantage in a hunt. The person using it will for sure know where to look. The good thermals are also a definite advantage for training purposes you know whether or not there is a live animal in the tree your dog is treed on. What it cannot do is look thru the side of the tree into a den...that's Hollywood and only the ones they have can do that.
The problem with making these things legal to use in a hunt is that not everyone can afford one...to be fair each cast would have to have access to one and every tree would have to be scanned. If you spend the money and the others in the cast/hunt don't then why should you find their coons for them??? For every sportsman that would shine every tree, even it means he will lose the lead...there are ten others that will use it for themselves only.
The other issue is that if you can use it for yourself, do you get to circle the points if you don't see a heat bloom of any kind in a tree full of leaves that is clearly slick????? If not why??? The rest of the cast could tree up the same type of leafy tree and it's automatic circle for them....

My buddy had the same one and the trees gave off so much heat that it didn't work in the summer for us, even a big ole kitty cat didn't show up LOL.

At least I thought it was the same one. Which one do you have? Now you got me interested again after I had wrote them off.

Old Post 03-01-2017 08:55 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
My buddy had the same one and the trees gave off so much heat that it didn't work in the summer for us, even a big ole kitty cat didn't show up LOL.

At least I thought it was the same one. Which one do you have? Now you got me interested again after I had wrote them off.

Here is the one I have.....it wasn't quite $25,000, but it was better than half that. I have it mounted in a 10-22 magnum for fox hunting. This one will take pictures and store them to put on the computer later. I have had several guys ask me to post some and I keep forgetting. I'll take it with me next time I go hunting and get a few to post.

Old Post 03-01-2017 10:57 PM
Chase214
UKC Forum Member

So i cant stick a mirror in a hole but i can stick my head in a hole is that correct

Old Post 03-02-2017 12:29 AM
Chase214 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chase214 Click here to Send Chase214 a Private Message Click Here to Email Chase214 Find more posts by Chase214 Add Chase214 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WalkerPower21
UKC Forum Member

Are yall kidding me?

What ever happened to cut em loose and listen? If they wanna go 2 miles guess they won't eat for a day or so. If you can't call em in idk what to tell you lol Move on if they get killed move on. Not everybody can afford todays technology.
Dentre says if a handler don't have a Garmin nobody uses a Garmin haha! Cut em loose an listen a coondog will get treed stay put an you go get em. They don't need to go out of the county to do so. An you don't need cameras night vision etc etc cmon if the coons there its seen by majority if it's not there but it might be circle it. If you gotta stick a phone in a hole that's ridiculous. You think the old timers stuck disposable cameras in a hole to get + up? Use the Garmin for a dog's safety that's all! Use your eyes ears and legs yall let the dog show you a Coon!

Last edited by WalkerPower21 on 03-02-2017 at 12:36 AM

Old Post 03-02-2017 12:34 AM
WalkerPower21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WalkerPower21 Click here to Send WalkerPower21 a Private Message Find more posts by WalkerPower21 Add WalkerPower21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Here is the one I have.....it wasn't quite $25,000, but it was better than half that. I have it mounted in a 10-22 magnum for fox hunting. This one will take pictures and store them to put on the computer later. I have had several guys ask me to post some and I keep forgetting. I'll take it with me next time I go hunting and get a few to post.

Nice that looks like the one we used but it must be alot better.

Old Post 03-02-2017 01:38 AM