UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stopped Hunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bjackman
New UKC Forum Member

Stopped Hunting

Im new to the sport and have a male dog that is 6 years old. He is a grand night champion in ukc. I bought him alittle over a year ago for me and my son to hunt. From day one when you cut him he would go and get treed. You always went and got him off a tree. He never came back to us unless we called him in. In the last couple of months we started hunting with other people and haven't hunted him alone. This past Saturday we went hunting, just me and him. I cut him loose he took off went about 50 yards and came back. I leashed him up walked him a little farther, same thing back to the truck he went. This happened several more times. I switched him, scolded him, and even asked him nicely. Nothing worked. So I take him back Sunday night and the same thing. He just wont go. Any suggestions? He seems to act like he feels fine and looks healthy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2018 05:45 PM
bjackman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjackman Click here to Send bjackman a Private Message Click Here to Email bjackman Find more posts by bjackman Add bjackman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curs12
UKC Forum Member

Too hot maybe ? maybe check for tick related stuff ? I'd get him checked and put up for awhile and then re go for it and see what happens

Old Post 08-08-2018 07:04 PM
curs12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curs12 Click here to Send curs12 a Private Message Click Here to Email curs12 Find more posts by curs12 Add curs12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick brocious
UKC Forum Member

Have you shocked him lately ?

Old Post 08-08-2018 10:23 PM
rick brocious is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick brocious Click here to Send rick brocious a Private Message Find more posts by rick brocious Add rick brocious to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

I have a dog that won’t hunt in the heat. Took her to the vet and ran test after test anything we could think of, all negative. She is 7 now and just started this stuff recently over the past year.

Also could be something like a coyote den close to where you cut loose that he doesn’t want to mess with.

Hope all is well otherwise!

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 08-08-2018 11:53 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Do you have coyotes in your area? Oh just saw you were in Ok. so probably so. Do you know if he has had scrapes with yotes before he started this?

Old Post 08-09-2018 04:19 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like dog is spoiled from being hunted with other dogs to much lately

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 08-09-2018 07:43 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Stopped Hunting

quote:
Originally posted by bjackman
Im new to the sport and have a male dog that is 6 years old. He is a grand night champion in ukc. I bought him alittle over a year ago for me and my son to hunt. From day one when you cut him he would go and get treed. You always went and got him off a tree. He never came back to us unless we called him in. In the last couple of months we started hunting with other people and haven't hunted him alone. This past Saturday we went hunting, just me and him. I cut him loose he took off went about 50 yards and came back. I leashed him up walked him a little farther, same thing back to the truck he went. This happened several more times. I switched him, scolded him, and even asked him nicely. Nothing worked. So I take him back Sunday night and the same thing. He just wont go. Any suggestions? He seems to act like he feels fine and looks healthy
get a buddy to take a dog along !! get your dog out and leave other in box !! turn your dog loose if he don't go turn the other dog out with him and I bet he will go then !! problem solved !!

Old Post 08-09-2018 08:41 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobby593
UKC Forum Member

MY DOG DID THIS LAST NIGHT I PUT HIM BACK IN THE BOX WE CUT MY BUDDYS DOG BY HIS SELF AND ON THE THE NEXT DROP CUT MINE ALONE AGAIN NEXT DROP HE WENT IN AND GOT TREED

Old Post 08-09-2018 09:26 PM
bobby593 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobby593 Click here to Send bobby593 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobby593 Find more posts by bobby593 Add bobby593 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote