UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > WildWilly and others...what do I do?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

WildWilly and others...what do I do?

My wife and I made a 24 hr round trip to pick up three 9 week old pups...2 females and 1 male, all littermates...I went that far because I wanted some top of the line hog dog pups...the females are awesome looking and have lots of go to them...

The male pup...he is standoffish and acts like he don't care...guards the food bowl and hoards it to himself so I stand there and nudge him to behave...I am very careful with them because they are slightly skittish as if they didn't get much handling before I got them...I had a little trouble getting them to trust me but a few treats here and there and they are really coming around...this is the second week I've had them...

some of the thing I do with all pups is to test them in my yard so I can see what type of dog they will make...plus I test for natural ability on account I only want to breed the ones with natural ability...nothing less...

the problem...I scattered some boiled hog meat in the yard (small pieces), the females rolled out hard searching the wind currents and circling and then the male gets in and then he starts attacking his siblings and I interfered but did not want to damage the pup in any way so I was kind of easy on him...

the next day I scattered more hog tidbits and the females rolled out hard to hunt...the male pup came in right behind them and attacked...the female pups shut it down and he was searching and eating alone...I stepped in and the females went back but were really keeping their distance from the male...I was having trouble with myself on account this is one trait I can not tolerate...I wanted to jack slap that little sucker...
when I sit back and watch the puppies hunt I can envision how they will work one day and I am usually right...but this pup is clearly messing with the other pups mentality...

What I have seen in the past with these type of hog dogs is that once the hog is bayed some dogs will attack the other dogs and claim the hog for themselves and sometimes this happens before a big boar is totally shutdown...so the hog can rest and then be ready to run again...this creates much turmoil in a pack and I do not tolerate that behavior...worse yet these dogs can ruin young up and coming hog dog pups...

I see this pup as having the potential to be one of the worst yet on account I haven't seen this type of behavior in pups at this young age...

when I said this pup is standoffish and acts serious lot of the time...then I think about greatness...some of the very best dogs I have raised had traits similar to this but without the viciousness this pup is displaying...I don't care how good this pup will grow up to be if he is going to fight at the bay or be ruining other pups...the goal for me is to have a great hunting dog that has the right qualities to be a potential stud to care on the breeding program...right now I just need a good hunting dog even if he shouldn't be bred...I can move him on once I can replace him...the bloodline is awesome otherwise I wouldn't have made the trip...so can this pup be helped????

so what are the wise words WildWilly? others please chime in as well...thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-2018 03:46 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Aggressiveness

I think if you re-read your post then you will find that you've answered your own question.
Standoffish before the dog trusts you is a sign of intelligence.

Bear hunters would neuter him and hunt him. They may offer better advice.

I'll never personally train another one. Two strikes and your out with me. The aggressive studs that I hunted with in the 70s are still producing their likeness 40 years later and their owners are in denial today just like they were 40 years ago.
Alpha aggression is dominate genetic trait and is not the same trait as being tough on game. Takes a minimum of two generations to eliminate from a bloodline.

If you are thinking about culling a dog, then you've already waited too long! A quote from Earl Lange Sr.

Old Post 07-19-2018 03:27 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Use something other than food to test them. Is he fighting around anything other than food?

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-19-2018 06:09 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dbender
Food aggression isn't a good indicator of future aggression.You don't know how this litter was fed or raised up to this point. He might always be food aggressive( big deal).

Put this male in with non related pups and get rid of the food and see how he does. Litter mates squabbling that haven't established their pecking order isn't a good indicator of anything. I would squash a puppy if he guards the food or starts trouble. You don't have to hurt him (just make him think you are going to) he'll realize you could if you wanted to if he has any brains.
If he can't or won't take it I wouldn't waste time on him.
A grumpy hog dog is less than worthless.
He'll be your pal in time, he'll also know you are the boss.
I'm not sure how boiled bits of meat scattered around is any indicator how they are going to be when they grow up. I'd put them in a pen with a little bitty pig if I was to do anything with a 9 week old pup to assess future actions.

K-9s give up there right to choose a mate over food. The whole pecking order is decided over food.

Old Post 07-20-2018 01:51 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I am teaching the pups to eat from the same bowl...the females have been good with it since day one...the male is getting better with a little persuasion...they really haven’t gone at it very much on pecking order at this time...

Here is the thing...I have raised quite a few litters in my back yard...my yard sits on two lots so I let the pups out to run and play once a day...been doing it this way for a little over 30 years...I scatter little bits of meat over a large area...and always some bits upwind so I get to observe which pups click to the wind currents right away and I then open the gate and free cast them to watch and see how they work...over all these years I haven’t had any pups whip it’s siblings to take them out of the game like he is doing...all other pups will circle and zero in on the wind currents and are only interested in finding the pieces of meat...

I would like to break him of this aggression if possible... because I need a good to great Hog dog...more than likely I will never breed him...but will concentrate on his sisters...

I have been correcting him and hoping I can change him enough without ruining him...I just want him to work well in a pack once he is old enough to run with the pack...

Old Post 07-20-2018 03:08 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I cast them out this morning and the females looked awesome...hunting hard and fast...
The male was a little timid and then slowly got in on it and did ok...no fighting at this time...yesterday I reached out and touched him with the red Ryder when he was acting up...so he is a little cautious right now...I’m bringing him into my house for extra attention and socialization...if he comes around enough he will have a home for a while...at some point in time it is likely he will be replaced by a young dog that has the right natural traits...

Old Post 07-20-2018 05:22 PM
Blaze2014
Banned

Maybe he just smarter than you?

Old Post 07-20-2018 05:51 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I cast them out this morning and the females looked awesome...hunting hard and fast...
The male was a little timid and then slowly got in on it and did ok...no fighting at this time...yesterday I reached out and touched him with the red Ryder when he was acting up...so he is a little cautious right now...I’m bringing him into my house for extra attention and socialization...if he comes around enough he will have a home for a while...at some point in time it is likely he will be replaced by a young dog that has the right natural traits...

I would advise you not to shoot him with a BB gun, beat on him, or shock him. I can't reveal how to address this. I promise he's food aggressive and possibly shy. Shyness is the worst form of aggression to have. You must learn how to communicate with him in his language. Punishing dogs does not work like on humans. They don't understand and it can often make problems worse. I would call Willy. His methods are step by step so you will understand at the end what you just did. Remember dogs don't think like we do.

Old Post 07-20-2018 08:56 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

seriously red ryder ? that has to be the stupidest most idiotic thing to do to a pup i have ever heard of in my life. first you bait the dog with food to fight over then plug it with a b.b. gun ? good luck with your socialization fool .. pup has more brains than its master in this case . it is people like you that should just buy finished dogs and leave training to others . animal abuse has no place in training process .

Old Post 07-20-2018 09:46 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
I would advise you not to shoot him with a BB gun, beat on him, or shock him. I can't reveal how to address this. I promise he's food aggressive and possibly shy. Shyness is the worst form of aggression to have. You must learn how to communicate with him in his language. Punishing dogs does not work like on humans. They don't understand and it can often make problems worse. I would call Willy. His methods are step by step so you will understand at the end what you just did. Remember dogs don't think like we do.

Thanks for your advise... I usually raise my own puppies so they are very socialized...these 3 pups have been a challenge but with lots of handling and bringing inside the house they are coming around...they are now eating together just fine and I will continue to feed them from one bowl until they are moved to their own kennels...I won’t feed a meaty bone on account I know it would create issues unless I am right their...

The pups are hunting well together now...the male needs a little more work but he is not causing the females to quit hunting which I cannot and will not allow him to do...

My son and I took a trophy boar head out of the freezer and boiled it to make a Euro mount...we saved the meat for the pups to hunt three or 4 times a week until it runs out...we did save the skin off the boiled head...I took the opportunity to divide it and then took one of the pieces and got the pups wanting it through the kennel...once they fired up good I let them out and I ran around the yard dragging it from a leash...pups gave good chase and latched on...I then sat down in the backyard with the pups and let them chew on the hide awhile...I gently corrected the three as needed...with this type of food I know better than to leave them unsupervised...once I thought it was a good training session I cut it in three sections and gave each one their fair share...

N Williams...you are absolutely right on the male pup...he is a very shy and sulky pup...I am working hard on bringing him around...he is getting better...

thomasg...I don’t have all the right answers...but I will do what I think is best...I can not allow a pup to ruin my other pups... I will also do all I can to save the male pup...for me a little tough love in the front end and saving the pup from culling is the lesser of the two evils...when Wildwilly puts out that book I will buy it because it will make a better dogman out of me...

To those that pm’ed me with input...thanks
I tried to respond to your messages but my folder said it was full and wouldn’t send...I deleted about half but still wouldn’t go...maybe by the next update...thanks again...

Old Post 07-22-2018 03:52 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

If the pup doesn't trust you he will never give you 100% of his ability , I don't beat and shock dogs I spend the time with them belive it or not kids do a lot more for a pup in socialization skills then most adults my daughter would carry my pups everywhere from football games to anywhere else ' once the pup trusts you and believes you will do best by him or her then and only then will they give you 100% of there loyalty and then adjustments for doing wrong don't do permanent damage to the relationship , and he or she realizes you are the alpha , you can't beat a dog into submission and make then work t all takes repetition and time !! That's tha Magic wand good luck

Old Post 07-24-2018 01:24 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Potomac...I agree, the best socializers for the pups are kids...

And I also agree on trust...the dog should be able to trust us completely...when they trust us we can correct them and they will not fear us even during correction because they understand we are focusing on the behavior issue and not on inflicting punishment on the dog...when we correct without the emotion called anger trust will go to a higher level...

Old Post 07-26-2018 01:14 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Update on pups...the aggression in the male is about gone... he growls a little at the food bowl once in a while but is minimal...other than that they hunt for treats well with each other...

The two females are bigger and built better for power and agility yet he is the boss...they hunt faster than him and do well... he hunts at a lope yet finds more treats...he hunts smarter by hunting into the wind and making swings from side to side...then he will loop back downwind and goes back into the wind at a different location...once he covers that he makes a big loop...also has a better nose...

Another issue was that they didn’t trust people...I had a little trouble with that but feeding a few treats from out of my pocket really changed them pretty quick when they figured out I had goodies for them...

I bring them inside the house now and then and he likes curling up next to me after he explores awhile...the females like exploring more than curling up for a nap in my lap while I watch TV...

Chances are he might make the better hunting dog...his name is Gator...the females don’t have one just yet...

The big issue that started this thread was Gators extremely bad aggression as an 8 week old pup...thanks on the pms and input this pup is doing very well...

Old Post 08-15-2018 03:12 PM