UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > old blooded dogs where are they?????
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

A little old and a little new, keeps a good balance 😊

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-31-2020 11:55 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Kinda like splitting hairs but the quickest way in the past and now for a dog to leave my house is bad kennel manners.

Tar

Old Post 01-31-2020 12:22 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dmaker
[B]alot of boys in virginia still linebreed yadkin hounds for pleasure hunting but dont competition hunt you would think if someone will only pleasure hunt they would quit linebreeding certain hounds that have say cold slow trailing styles i dont know i'm just looking at some of the dogs winning and i never see anything that i would call older style blood.

What makes you think These linebred Yadkin River hounds are slow? Just because some breeders have aged out and have higher priorities than competition hunting doesn't mean they don't have dogs that can't compete. I don't like to use names but for this I'm going to. Since you referred to Virginia boys check out how many times Rodney Hubbard won the Virginia State and the # of dogs entered. Now married and raising a family. As you get older some things get more important than proving you have the best dog but that doesn't lessen the quality dog thats being hunted.
Now if it's speed you want just cross your Yadkin River dog to a tight bred Finley River bred dog, especially one that goes back to Ganns Finisher, Stircker or Pac Man. There are some of these still being bred and find out what speed is all about. However stick with the old southern bred Yadkin River dogs since they were bred for speed and track and still tree when they get to the end.

Old Post 01-31-2020 02:31 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

i wasnt by any means knocking that line i own that line i simply meant why dont you see them getting their picture taken my dog is 10 years old and ive had him since he was 12 weeks old my favorite all time dog i've owned but i also have a dog i comp hunt i'm asking is there that kind of blood that has more of a comp hunting style? or are do they all have the same type style? once again i didnt mean they're slow it was a poor choice of words on my part.

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dmaker
[B]alot of boys in virginia still linebreed yadkin hounds for pleasure hunting but dont competition hunt you would think if someone will only pleasure hunt they would quit linebreeding certain hounds that have say cold slow trailing styles i dont know i'm just looking at some of the dogs winning and i never see anything that i would call older style blood.

What makes you think These linebred Yadkin River hounds are slow? Just because some breeders have aged out and have higher priorities than competition hunting doesn't mean they don't have dogs that can't compete. I don't like to use names but for this I'm going to. Since you referred to Virginia boys check out how many times Rodney Hubbard won the Virginia State and the # of dogs entered. Now married and raising a family. As you get older some things get more important than proving you have the best dog but that doesn't lessen the quality dog thats being hunted.
Now if it's speed you want just cross your Yadkin River dog to a tight bred Finley River bred dog, especially one that goes back to Ganns Finisher, Stircker or Pac Man. There are some of these still being bred and find out what speed is all about. However stick with the old southern bred Yadkin River dogs since they were bred for speed and track and still tree when they get to the end.

Old Post 01-31-2020 02:49 PM
dmaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmaker Click here to Send dmaker a Private Message Click Here to Email dmaker Find more posts by dmaker Add dmaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

They are in the past for a reason, bred and tried to be improved on.

Old Post 01-31-2020 06:45 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Aren't they in a freezer waiting to be AI'ed.

Old Post 01-31-2020 11:24 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
No Coby I was talking about lipper far as I know he never reproduced himself he was a freak a track driving coon treeing freak that’s why most of the people that hunted with him bought a $5,000 pup trying to get him he reproduced some really nice dogs but never nothing close to him. I don’t remember ever hunting with maybe two out of rat that I remember and I don’t remember much about them they just didn’t work well down here is my guess. But rattler and lipper when mixed complimented each other.

Tar

Oh ok fair enough. There was a litter off Rat Attack recently that sold for $5000 at weaning age so I thought that's what you meant.

Lipper seems to reproduce better when a grand-sire in my opinion. I also agree with Lipper x Rattler crossing well.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 02-01-2020 12:23 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

How dominant is a stud dog when it has to be crossed with a certain bloodline or an offspring of a certain stud to produce a dog that trees coon?
Is it worthwhile to preserve pups from that stud or the bloodline?

Old Post 02-01-2020 12:45 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Looks like this thread was started to start a argument. Well let's face it if you hunt a Walker dog they all go back to the old dogs of the day. I like sackett jr dogs Nailor rat attack and Bonecollector but guess what they all go back to the same old bloodlines. I used to hear wipeout was the new stuff you better look deeper in the pedigree some old stuff. In my opinion the Bonecollector dogs are the dominant dogs of the competition world and that's what I hunt now but guess what he wasn't nothing but a Lipper dog with some other popular dogs mixed in.

Old Post 02-01-2020 01:13 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clovis

I agree with you, just as I have said in earlier posts on this subject, you would not have the dogs if today without the dogs of the past. What suits a man changes over time and that's a fact, when I was younger, I enjoyed a deep hunting dog, not so these days. Today, I like a medium range dog, soon it may be a close hunting dog. A man's age and other factors dictate what style dog suits him best, hunting territory and coon population plays a big part in the style of dog that suits a person. I strongly think that there are dogs to fit anyone's style of hunting today, I think we have come a long way with our hunting dogs of today. I also, think the dogs of yesterday played a Hugh role in the current dogs of today. Some if the very best dogs that I have hunted with are what we call today's dogs, but they carried the blood if yesterday's hounds. I love a coon dog period, old or new blood, I do not care. Dave

Old Post 02-01-2020 01:50 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I priced one tonight for way more than I thought he was worth under real live coons ( I did not want to sell him ) I no longer own him now what am I going to do lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-01-2020 03:09 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You'll have to buy one of them fancy new breed of Walker dogs the young folks have now.

Old Post 02-01-2020 03:41 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Coons haven’t changed in my lifetime 😊
Some say the older dogs didn’t tree, some say the new dogs tree to much.
Same guy will tell you stories all night how good ole so and so was, and the new dogs are worthless, then turn around and say new blood is way better....lol
A coon dog is a coon dog and a reproducer is a reproducer,
It takes years to find out if he truly is a reproducer, or if it was a wonder cross.
I see so many stud dogs today blown up for a couple years only to find out ooops😳
Get off the childish old verses new .....lol Michael Jordan vs Lebron James. I would take both on my team!

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-01-2020 12:22 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Conrad you can’t explain somthing to them they ain’t seen my explanation is :

A quarter horse is super fast in short races 🧐. But would not finish the race against secretariat in the Kentucky derby. Different race ,different place in time, hole lot more horse. We hunted a lot more horse because the rules demanded it.

Tar

Old Post 02-01-2020 12:40 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Coons haven’t changed in my lifetime 😊

A coon dog is a coon dog and a reproducer is a reproducer,

lol Michael Jordan vs Lebron James. I would take both on my team!

I agree with the quote...

In 1973 Secretariat won the triple crown and broke records doing it...it is said that the last leg of the triple crown where he won by 31 lengths and broke the record by two seconds will never be broken...
some say he is the greatest of all time...I really don’t think we can say that about any one living thing...

The same type of dog I liked back then is the same type of dog I like today...

Old Post 02-01-2020 01:01 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I agree with the quote...

In 1973 Secretariat won the triple crown and broke records doing it...it is said that the last leg of the triple crown where he won by 31 lengths and broke the record by two seconds will never be broken...
some say he is the greatest of all time...I really don’t think we can say that about any one living thing...

The same type of dog I liked back then is the same type of dog I like today...

Reuben back in the day I hunted with quite a few secretariats some names you would recognize some were dogs at the local level that were owned by men that demanded only the best but were content to do it outside the limelight. One was James ( gimp ) Lewis you went with gimp he would get you home in time to go to work 6 nights a week. He owned grntch Lewis blue river bill that John Monroe promoted. Frank giddings is that type of hunter.

Tar

Old Post 02-01-2020 01:23 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I priced one tonight for way more than I thought he was worth under real live coons ( I did not want to sell him ) I no longer own him now what am I going to do lol.

Tar

Tar, any man that's been in this game as long as it appears you have, knows better than to put a price on a hound he does not want to sell.

'Nuff said!😉

Old Post 02-01-2020 04:14 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Years ago when I thought $10,000.00 was a lot of money I owned a dog that wasn’t for sale...I thought if someone offered me that money he wouldn’t leave my back yard...I thought real hard on it and there was one way he could of been sold...if that money would have saved a family members life or if it would guarantee my kids college graduation...because money comes and goes...it would have to be money for a great purpose...

It’s hard to sell a dog that can bring so much excitement and joy into our lives...after all we only live one time...

Old Post 02-01-2020 04:33 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Tar, any man that's been in this game as long as it appears you have, knows better than to put a price on a hound he does not want to sell.

'Nuff said!😉

Only if you realize it was better for the dog to given a chance to compete I am washed up. But what I do good is I got hot links , polish sausage and bologna logs on the smoker for our hunt tonight.

Tar

Old Post 02-01-2020 04:33 PM
andrewdavis
UKC Forum Member

Just picked up a grand pup to Moffetts w.c. deamon hes making a nice hound!!! Hounds now a days pass coons! Or want to run off game till they hit a coon hot enough to tree!!! This young male can lay em up or drive a track but he has the meat in the end!!!

Nitech grch shannons hillbilly cookie (rip)
Pr davis'hillbilly tiny diamond
team hillbilly mac !!!

Old Post 02-05-2020 03:12 AM
andrewdavis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andrewdavis Click here to Send andrewdavis a Private Message Click Here to Email andrewdavis Find more posts by andrewdavis Add andrewdavis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdavis
Just picked up a grand pup to Moffetts w.c. deamon hes making a nice hound!!! Hounds now a days pass coons! Or want to run off game till they hit a coon hot enough to tree!!! This young male can lay em up or drive a track but he has the meat in the end!!!

Looks like Team Hillbilly Mac is going to do some crossing!!!

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 02-05-2020 03:35 AM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andrewdavis
UKC Forum Member

😍😍😍 would hate to ruin your line mike shannon!!! But hes here and hes a excellent dog handles well walk him to the back of truck and he loads!!! Walk him next to you in woods with no lead and hell stay put next to you well mannered dog next to come is whistle train him seems like some hunts are won with a well handled hound not all but some!! I've personally hunt with Shannon's line and 6 coons in 1 and a half hour I did with one in his kennel now that's my all time best so they move a track but dont waist no time getting treed either lay them up run them through the woods in the sloughs you name it there goin all dogs have good nights and bad nights but I will say I hunt on a regular with mr. hyneman ( smith hillbilly macs handler) and he says mac wasn't slow by no means but jammed coons he was quiet on track and snuck up on those ol coons and jammed them!!

Nitech grch shannons hillbilly cookie (rip)
Pr davis'hillbilly tiny diamond
team hillbilly mac !!!

Old Post 02-05-2020 04:04 AM
andrewdavis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andrewdavis Click here to Send andrewdavis a Private Message Click Here to Email andrewdavis Find more posts by andrewdavis Add andrewdavis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Andy you won't hurt my line with that blood. If you are hunting him I know he has to be a fine hound.

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdavis
😍😍😍 would hate to ruin your line mike shannon!!! But hes here and hes a excellent dog handles well walk him to the back of truck and he loads!!! Walk him next to you in woods with no lead and hell stay put next to you well mannered dog next to come is whistle train him seems like some hunts are won with a well handled hound not all but some!! I've personally hunt with Shannon's line and 6 coons in 1 and a half hour I did with one in his kennel now that's my all time best so they move a track but dont waist no time getting treed either lay them up run them through the woods in the sloughs you name it there goin all dogs have good nights and bad nights but I will say I hunt on a regular with mr. hyneman ( smith hillbilly macs handler) and he says mac wasn't slow by no means but jammed coons he was quiet on track and snuck up on those ol coons and jammed them!!

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 02-05-2020 04:14 AM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BawlsDeep
UKC Forum Member

Old Blood

Man that’s a stacked Deck! What’s the price tag on pups?

Old Post 04-20-2020 07:57 PM
BawlsDeep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BawlsDeep Click here to Send BawlsDeep a Private Message Find more posts by BawlsDeep Add BawlsDeep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

D RAY

Kudos to you, I sure hope those pups turn out to be stem winders. We need some of that old blood and I love the pedigree of those pups. Best wishes. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 04-20-2020 at 10:07 PM

Old Post 04-20-2020 08:41 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote