UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > torn ACL
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
drake regan
UKC Forum Member

torn ACL

Anyone have any experience treating a dog with a torn ACL. Any help would be appreciated

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2019 01:33 PM
drake regan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drake regan Click here to Send drake regan a Private Message Click Here to Email drake regan Find more posts by drake regan Add drake regan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

Long recovery.A fishing line is surgically installed. Dog spends long while in a box sedated. After that you have to slowly bring the dog to running shape. If you go to fast ,the dog will tear that other ACL , because he is favoring the bad leg. It has been 10 yr since I took care of one. So maybe their is something new. Their was a choice of going to a orthopedic greyhound surgeon, is was more money than I could afford.

Old Post 11-17-2019 06:05 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sawyer Hortin
UKC Forum Member

Yes, vet fixed it and he only was loose in the yard a hour a day for several month's. Healed up fine

Old Post 11-17-2019 06:09 PM
Sawyer Hortin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sawyer Hortin Click here to Send Sawyer Hortin a Private Message Find more posts by Sawyer Hortin Add Sawyer Hortin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Father N law bird dog just tore his. And he young enough they was goin try let it heal with rehab. But I know he said if had have surgery it was goin be around $2500 and then wasnt a guarantee it would hold up.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 11-18-2019 07:59 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

I had a GRNITECH dog one time that tore his going into the Semi-Finals a few years back. I elected to not have surgery performed on his ACL because the success rate wasn't very high (and it was expensive).

I laid him up for three months and then slowly started taking him to the woods again, never seemed to give him anymore problems after that.

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:08 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drake regan
UKC Forum Member

Thank you to everyone who has helped.

Old Post 11-18-2019 11:21 PM
drake regan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drake regan Click here to Send drake regan a Private Message Click Here to Email drake regan Find more posts by drake regan Add drake regan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

We had it done in Tucson, when we lived in the desert country, by a vet out there....both rear ACL's at about $3K per side on my wife's Golden Retriever.

The vet out there flew around the country teaching other vets this procedure...it involved some screws and cutting, but he was BETTER than new when he heeled up and that was pretty quick. I was EXTREMELY skeptical going into it and thought we'd have to put him down the day we went in but after talking to him we had it done. I thought it was arthritis and he was so bad he could hardly get around.

It was high dollar stuff and he was a hard going, hard charger but as I said, he was better than new once it was done.

Cancer got him several years later.

I shot multiple cover photos of him, great video footage and took him to trade shows, all of which led to a pay raise. If I ever owed it to a dog, I figured he earned it and it made my wife happy.

Old Post 11-20-2019 10:22 PM
Mark Zepp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Zepp Click here to Send Mark Zepp a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Zepp Find more posts by Mark Zepp Add Mark Zepp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote