UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Traits Passed On
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

expand the discussion

would like know what traits are easy to keep and which ones are hard to hold on to.....I have always believed the big bawl track mouth is easy to keep , just make sure every cross you make , both sire and dam have the big bawl mouth.. If you cross squall or chop mouth hounds you could get some pups with and some without bawl mouths .. what are others views on keeping or getting rid of certain traits.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-24-2019 10:34 PM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: expand the discussion

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
would like know what traits are easy to keep and which ones are hard to hold on to.....I have always believed the big bawl track mouth is easy to keep , just make sure every cross you make , both sire and dam have the big bawl mouth.. If you cross squall or chop mouth hounds you could get some pups with and some without bawl mouths .. what are others views on keeping or getting rid of certain traits.

In my honest opinion, the trait to accurately tree layups is the hardest trait to keep or reproduce. Because many dogs can tree coons they tracked to a tree. And a bunch can tree layups, but not many dogs can tree layups accurately. And a good many guys I know of try and break a dog from trying to tree layups because of the accuracy issue. Mouths I don't think are too hard to breed for. And it seems to be not a necessity any longer with the tracking systems to have an extremely loud dog. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe I'm right. But again its just my opinion from my limited experience.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-25-2019 12:00 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: expand the discussion

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl

It sounds to me the big bawl track mouth is a recessive to squall or chop mouth on track...squall and chop mouth being dominant to big bawl based on what you said...
That is a good observation...

Old Post 11-25-2019 12:00 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote