UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Skip a feeding?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Lol. Another one of the I know everything's on here. I graduated from University of Illinois with a degree in Animal science, so I kinda have the idea on how things can be fed and took care of. Lol

Last edited by Tug18 on 12-04-2020 at 03:00 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-04-2020 02:50 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tug18
Lol. Another one of the I know everything's on here. I graduated from University of Illinois with a degree in Animal science, so I kinda have the idea on how things can be fed and took care of. Lol

Fellow AnSI Major here! OK State for me!

Y'all need to realize is when a dog is fed they undergo the digestion process. When this happens it increases their metabolism and body temps. In the winter time this is crucial to keep a dog warm. Treat them like a human. I wouldn't want to skip a meal if I was fed once every 24 hours. I feed mine after hunting at night...

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 12-04-2020 04:34 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

THATS WHY THE EAT GRASS, TO REPLACE ENZYMES IN TUMMY

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Last edited by oklared on 12-04-2020 at 04:43 PM

Old Post 12-04-2020 04:40 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Fasting must be good for dogs because I read on the interweb that it is. If you have your dog on a self feeder, will they occasionally fast?
On a different note, when I was a kid we occasionally fasted. It always seemed to come at the end of the month. It seemed to coincide with the fact that my mother could only go to the grocery store at the beginning of the month.

I don't think that it would hurt this little fellow to skip a couple of meals....

THIS ONE HAS NOT BEEN MISSING MEALS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 12-04-2020 04:46 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Fasting must be good for dogs because I read on the interweb that it is. If you have your dog on a self feeder, will they occasionally fast?
On a different note, when I was a kid we occasionally fasted. It always seemed to come at the end of the month. It seemed to coincide with the fact that my mother could only go to the grocery store at the beginning of the month.

I don't think that it would hurt this little fellow to skip a couple of meals....

The only fast in his life is eating fast.

Old Post 12-04-2020 05:05 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I know it doesn’t hurt me to miss a meal or 2 once in awhile! I could probably stand to increase the frequency!
🤣🤣

Old Post 12-05-2020 02:44 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I went to EMU for sports MED, played college ball. There is a big differnce in slaughter animals and domestic you should know that then right?

Old Post 12-05-2020 01:10 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My mother used to send me to bed with no supper occasionally. She said that it was for my own good. Maybe she was right. I did learn that if I wanted to eat that I had better behave, at least at the supper table. Maybe that is what some people are teaching their dogs. I know that it worked on me.

But I didn't learn that at some fancy University. Do y'all think that you have to go to college for 4 or 5 yrs to learn how to feed a hound dog from a book and a Professor? My daddy taught me and he never even graduated from high school.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-05-2020 at 01:27 PM

Old Post 12-05-2020 01:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Richard you maybe right, I can't even tell you if eggs are ok to eat right now. Seems to change every other yr not sure where we are at on that right now LOL. And is pluto a planet now? It was when I was in school but then it wasen't so I don't know!

Old Post 12-05-2020 01:53 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Have any stock tips? You seem to know something about everything else. Lol

Old Post 12-05-2020 02:29 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

No Richard ya dont, feeding a dog is pretty dang simple. And feeding them once a day dont make someone lazy, as someone said right off.

Old Post 12-05-2020 02:38 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Have any stock tips? You seem to know something about everything else. Lol

I just have a lot of opinions and am not very bashful. (buy low and sell high)

Old Post 12-05-2020 03:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

If I could come up with a few more topics like this, I might stall the slow death this board is experiencing...

The thing we have to be careful about is equating dietary needs, frequency, and comfort of humans to those of canines. Ever since our ancestors created tools and harnessed fire, human diets and meals have become progressively better and more regular. But only for the past hundred years or so have a dog's dietary needs been given much thought on a large scale. Even 60-70 years ago, dogs ate a wide variety of feeds and were usually supplemented irregularly with table scraps.

For the thousands of years prior to that, their ancestors were hunters. Opportunistic killers whose digestive systems were evolutionarily regulated to large meals, spread out by a timetable dictated only by success of their hunts or scavenging. Dogs simply aren't genetically programmed to hunt on a full belly, and those that insist on doing so are asking for problems (twisted gut, etc.)

My dogs eat daily, based around the schedule I try to hunt them. They get alot of exercise and they look good. But I just keep thinking about that conversation I had with a vet years ago. And when you objectively look at it without taking for granted any "conventional wisdoms", it sure does seem to have some merit.

Old Post 12-05-2020 03:53 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Wasnt even referring to.you on the stock tips Richard. Lol

Old Post 12-05-2020 05:18 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Wasnt even referring to.you on the stock tips Richard. Lol

Sorry, I thought that I was the only know it all. Does this mean that you don't like my tip?

Old Post 12-05-2020 05:42 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I don't fast my dogs...

In the winter time as the temperature drops here is SE Texas I increase feed to maintain a good weight...the further it drops the more I increase...after 40 years I just I ball it and call it good based on what I see...

When hunting I give about 1/3 ration before the hunt and when we return I give about 3/4 ration...otherwise it's a full ration once a day...

pregnant females are fed once a day and at a month in to their gestation I start feeding twice a day...once she has the puppies I feed her all she wants...

I start feeding puppies 3 times a day and as they progress I cut down to twice a day...at about ten months of age they get on the same schedule as the grown dogs...

I been feeding this way for many years and I haven't heard a complaint from any of the dogs...lol

Self Feeder...I'll never use one...I like feeding and letting my dogs out to exercise...also I like to pet them up and talk to them at these times...and if I have left over chicken or steak trimmings I divvy it up and feed the tidbits thru the chain link kennels at whatever time I get them...just and added bonus or treat...the dogs love it...

Old Post 12-05-2020 08:01 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cory Highfill
[B]

For the thousands of years prior to that, their ancestors were hunters. Opportunistic killers whose digestive systems were evolutionarily regulated to large meals, spread out by a timetable dictated only by success of their hunts or scavenging. Dogs simply aren't genetically programmed to hunt on a full belly, and those that insist on doing so are asking for problems (twisted gut, etc.)

Cory, they have yet to to figure out why dogs get a twisted gut they can't put science behind anythig.(if you found updated info link me to it please been a while since I read up on this subject) A lot of vets think it can be from dogs eating dry kibble then drinking water, cheep food really exspands. I'm 3rd generation raising hounds over 100 yrs my family has always soaked kibble and we have never had a dog get it. As far as hunting on a full belly it takes 6 hrs for a dog to digest its food. It takes a lot of water to complete the process. If the dog is digesting food there is less water to protect its organs and keep its body temp. down while hunting. On the flip side dogs that haven't been fed in the proper time window, they run out of fuel for the fire. They have to pull sugars from the body which stress and heat it.

Old Post 12-06-2020 02:44 PM
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

As far as stock tips go I have people for that, I could't even tell you what my money is invested in right now.

Old Post 12-06-2020 02:52 PM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I'll have to do dome digging, but I did run across an article a long time ago (that more proposed a theory than proved it) which claimed treedogs could be much more susceptible to a twisted gut than other dogs, because they just weren't designed to spend long periods of time upright, like treeing on their hind legs. Not sure how that could ever be proved or disproved, but it makes sense to me.
I'm also not sure I (and most coonhunters, if they're honest 😎 hunt long or hard enough to run a dog on an empty stomach out of energy. But I could certainly see this being an issue with bear hunters or folks who run deer dogs.
I actually dealt with a hound twisting his gut once years ago. In order to confirm it, the vet had to do exploratory surgery. I wasn't in the room but the vet that did the operation told me he was convinced that a bellyful of food was a contributing factor..?

Last edited by Cory Highfill on 12-06-2020 at 03:21 PM

Old Post 12-06-2020 03:18 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Twisted gut

It’s been many years and haven’t read on it in recent years...

What I read back then...twisted gut usually happened to large deep and barrel chested dogs...according to the article it happened more often after some sort of exercise...to minimize this type of condition the recommendation was to feed less after exercise or wait until later to feed...

I’ve never had to deal with this issue...

Old Post 12-06-2020 04:48 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Makes you wounder why they can't pin point what causes this, its been around forever.

Cory, i've seen some pretty run down dogs that just quit on guys. I know they were on good dogfood. But these dogs get hunted every nite, almost all nite. Dogs being pushed hard, and throw the stress of travel in there don't have much left in the tank to draw from. Often they get to the point where they just don't eat enough. I had a dog that would shoot out of the dog box 1st hr and half of a hunt. But come the last 30 min he would walk out. I made up a power drink for him, that would give him that little bit he needed, but easy to digest so it wouldn't pull water from his organs as he hunted. It made a big differnce, in his performance, it was like the 1st drop all nite. I agree the avg. hunter don't hunt hard enough to get to this point.

Old Post 12-07-2020 02:34 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

SKIP A MEAL!! If I skip a snack, I"m ready to bite someone.

Old Post 12-07-2020 05:26 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
SKIP A MEAL!! If I skip a snack, I"m ready to bite someone.

We call that hangry around here lol! Nothing worse than a 4 year old grandson that has missed snack time or if I'm late getting dinner on the table.

The big dogs get fed once a day and young puppies and dogs that are running loose are on full feed that's always available.
Dogs health is dependent upon clean water, quality nutrition and exercise. I see no need to try fasting for my dogs.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-07-2020 08:12 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Makes you wounder why they can't pin point what causes this, its been around forever.

Cory, i've seen some pretty run down dogs that just quit on guys. I know they were on good dogfood. But these dogs get hunted every nite, almost all nite. Dogs being pushed hard, and throw the stress of travel in there don't have much left in the tank to draw from. Often they get to the point where they just don't eat enough. I had a dog that would shoot out of the dog box 1st hr and half of a hunt. But come the last 30 min he would walk out. I made up a power drink for him, that would give him that little bit he needed, but easy to digest so it wouldn't pull water from his organs as he hunted. It made a big differnce, in his performance, it was like the 1st drop all nite. I agree the avg. hunter don't hunt hard enough to get to this point.

Especially before the alpha 100 I fed my dogs a 1/3 ration before we headed out on a hunt...even feeding this way by 11 or 12 noon they were exhausted...in warm weather due mostly to heat and energy loss and cold weather uses up quite a few calories...

on one hunt I remember clearly...I was gutting a fat sow and I cut out a 3 inch cubic piece of fat out and one of my dogs grabbed it and gulped it down...

I then loaded the dogs up to head home...on the way out he winded a hog and left out...the other dogs left out with him but were back in about an hour or so...that dog stayed on that big boar until I left at about 7 pm...another young dog stayed with him...I've always said that young dog received a double dose of testosterone during gestation...he can last longer than most on a hunt...
I left at 7 pm but no telling how long they hung in there...I would have walked in to them but I followed the rules to eliminate issues with the neighbors...
that sow fat worked like a high performance fuel...

Old Post 12-07-2020 11:17 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I had a 65lb. Well built bluetick female that had her stomach flip (Gastric Torsion) in the middle of a Sunday afternoon in 1985. Thankfully I was home when it happened and was pretty sure what had occurred.

She had been fed the evening before. When we opened her up at the vets she was full of water. It wasn’t full of food but under the advice of my vet I started feeding twice a day. Thankfully, it has never occurred again in any of my hounds. She was 6 yrs. old at the time and lived another 6-1/2 yrs. after that. Her stomach was stitched to her side and it healed so that may have played a roll in its not reoccurring.

I too, enjoy the interaction with my hounds each day so feeding twice a day is really a joy for me.

Old Post 12-09-2020 03:31 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote