UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Astro 430 vs. Alpha 100
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Astro 430 vs. Alpha 100

I know the Garmin trackers are a hot topic on here and have been well covered. But I am just wanting to gather some opinions on which model is preferred to the other. This will be my first Garmin tracker, but I have done a lot of research on both products and understand the differences of each product. Just wanted to hear from hunters using these models in the woods every night and see what your opinions are.

Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2017 12:30 AM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I hope I never have to hunt without the ability to tone and correct.

Old Post 01-29-2017 12:44 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dusty Bottoms
UKC Forum Member

I still use the 320 with hound hunter shock collar. When they put shock and tone on the 430 ill jump ship. The touch screen of the alpha is whats holding me back from up grading. Hunt with plenty of guys who have the alphas and the touch screen sucks compared to the buttons on the 320 or 430. I know of several houndsmen in the same boat who coon and coyote hunt that would drop the alpha in a heartbeat if the 430 had training capabilities.

Old Post 01-29-2017 12:54 AM
Dusty Bottoms is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dusty Bottoms Click here to Send Dusty Bottoms a Private Message Click Here to Email Dusty Bottoms Find more posts by Dusty Bottoms Add Dusty Bottoms to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tickedup87
UKC Forum Member

The touch screen is the reason I switched to the alpha. 3 years and no trouble .

Old Post 01-29-2017 12:58 AM
Tickedup87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tickedup87 Click here to Send Tickedup87 a Private Message Find more posts by Tickedup87 Add Tickedup87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

13 months with Alpha. No problems.

Old Post 01-29-2017 01:10 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjd
UKC Forum Member

Whatever you decide on after you register it with garmin you can get the collars or anything else 10% off

Old Post 01-29-2017 04:04 AM
mjd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjd Click here to Send mjd a Private Message Click Here to Email mjd Find more posts by mjd Add mjd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

MJD can to you me to where you saw this at? There is something very wrong with that statement. Not saying your wrong but there is something wrong with it.

Old Post 01-29-2017 11:53 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjd
UKC Forum Member

Bruce i cant post pics on here because i only have phone internet but give me a email or a cell number and ill send a picture,or log into garmin and put the serial number down for the alpha and collars i bought off of conkeys and it brings it up ,i have it printed from garmin and 3 emails ,1 for the alpha and each collar that says 10% off for 30 days.

Last edited by mjd on 01-29-2017 at 05:44 PM

Old Post 01-29-2017 02:46 PM
mjd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjd Click here to Send mjd a Private Message Click Here to Email mjd Find more posts by mjd Add mjd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

MJD the email is

coondog123@aol.com

Thanks

Old Post 01-29-2017 03:47 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Whats the general consensus out there on the touch screen of the Alpha vs the buttons on the Astro?

Old Post 01-29-2017 04:53 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Roberts
UKC Forum Member

I've used an Alpha since 2012 with absolutely no issues at all with handheld or collars. Keep both handheld and collars updated regularly and couldn't be happier but I've never used anything else.

Old Post 01-29-2017 06:13 PM
Matt Roberts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Roberts Click here to Send Matt Roberts a Private Message Find more posts by Matt Roberts Add Matt Roberts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I never had a 320 but i had a 220 and i wouldnt trade touch screen for buttons plus a hundred dollars. I bought 2 Alphas back when they first
came out, how long ago was that? Never had any kind of problem with either and cant say i have ever heard anyone complain about the touchscreen.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-29-2017 06:20 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dusty Bottoms
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Moore
Whats the general consensus out there on the touch screen of the Alpha vs the buttons on the Astro?

When you coon and coyote hunt in the north when its -10 to 20 degrees outside you wear gloves. The touch screen is a lot more difficult (nearly impossible with heavy gloves) to operate than the buttons of the 320 or 430.If we didnt have 5months out the year we needed to wear gloves the touch screen would be ok. like i said above, if the 430 had training capabilities everyone i know would dump the alpha and touch screen.

Old Post 01-29-2017 07:46 PM
Dusty Bottoms is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dusty Bottoms Click here to Send Dusty Bottoms a Private Message Click Here to Email Dusty Bottoms Find more posts by Dusty Bottoms Add Dusty Bottoms to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

Alpha vs 430

I had a Astro 320 for a couple of years and have now had the Alpha 100 for about 2.5 years. The Alpha in my opinion is a huge upgrade over my old Astro 320. But as it has been stated by others I did prefer the buttons over the touchscreen. My one and only complaint about the touchscreen is it drops a pin wayyyy to easily. Seems like every time I touch it a pin gets dropped. Other than that it's a great tracker and I'd recommend it.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 01-29-2017 07:58 PM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Slowpoke on the pin dropping it will if you touch the screen lightly. Touch it harder and the pin won't drop.

Old Post 01-29-2017 09:05 PM
mjd
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

Email sent

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
MJD the email is

coondog123@aol.com

Thanks

Old Post 01-29-2017 10:50 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I see what your saying now.

Old Post 01-30-2017 01:05 PM
DEE POWELL
UKC Forum Member

I have used the alpha now for two weeks...I already like it over the 320...seems easier to function and don't go through a pair of batteries ever couple of days

PR’ DEE’S HARDTIME THUNDER CLOUD
RED CLOUD X SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR

DEE POWELL
509-393-5111 CELL

Old Post 11-20-2017 08:29 PM
DEE POWELL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DEE POWELL Click here to Send DEE POWELL a Private Message Click Here to Email DEE POWELL Find more posts by DEE POWELL Add DEE POWELL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
I still use the 320 with hound hunter shock collar. When they put shock and tone on the 430 ill jump ship. The touch screen of the alpha is whats holding me back from up grading. Hunt with plenty of guys who have the alphas and the touch screen sucks compared to the buttons on the 320 or 430. I know of several houndsmen in the same boat who coon and coyote hunt that would drop the alpha in a heartbeat if the 430 had training capabilities.

I had an alpha screen cracked an I hated the touch screen... in the long run I switched to 430 much cleaner for my uses

Walk with Wick..or..Get Treed with Dentre

Old Post 11-20-2017 09:56 PM
1912 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1912 Click here to Send 1912 a Private Message Find more posts by 1912 Add 1912 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tickedup87
The touch screen is the reason I switched to the alpha. 3 years and no trouble .
X2,,I love the touch screen,,much better than the buttons.

Browns Wild Irish Rose(Tequila Sunrise x Stylish Abagal)
Browns Stylish Buddy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup
Browns Stylish Sissy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup

Old Post 11-20-2017 11:07 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I still carry my 320 with me as a back up the alpha likes to erase tracks for some reason and my 320 keeps them so I can find my way out of these mtns

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 11-20-2017 11:39 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wjoey
I still carry my 320 with me as a back up the alpha likes to erase tracks for some reason and my 320 keeps them so I can find my way out of these mtns

so cant you mark the truck like a 320 with the alpha .
in a hunt when its over and the guide does not go with you to get the dog I,d be lost with out my 320 when I mark the truck ....im really thinking about the alpha but don't know if I shud or not .........any info.. is appreciated

Old Post 11-21-2017 12:50 AM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

.Yes you can mark any spot.

Old Post 11-21-2017 01:40 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

I have them both. I realized today that I don't even know where my 430 is! I never use it unless I'm in a UKC hunt. I carry it and leave the alpha on and in the truck. Its the only reason I can think to have a 430.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-21-2017 02:44 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Alpha...

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I have them both. I realized today that I don't even know where my 430 is! I never use it unless I'm in a UKC hunt. I carry it and leave the alpha on and in the truck. Its the only reason I can think to have a 430.

Mike
Why would you not have a T5 Collar to use with the Alpha in a UKC Hunt ?
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-21-2017 05:15 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote