UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where did you go wrong!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce M. Conkey

Where did you go wrong!!

Well when someone gives advice on what to do we always seem to pick it apart and come up with how that is the wrong thing to do.

Since it is the 4th of July and we should all be one Big Happy GRATEFUL Family today I will try a different angle that I don't think we can pick apart. First put on your big boy panties and then answer this.

What have you personally done when starting a pup or young dog that months or years down the road you regretted doing and always thought if you had done different or not done at all the dog would have been a lot better dog. I know I have made a lot of mistakes and learn from them everyday. If your willing to share some of yours, I am sure someone will learn from them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-04-2015 02:30 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

When I first started hunting by my self, probably around 12 or 13 I had a real young pup that was doing extremely well treeing his own coons. I loved to see a good coon fight back then. I would bring them out to fight and I ruined that pup. He would stay treed until he seen me coming and then he would just leave to the next one.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-04-2015 02:42 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Walking a pup or pups all through the woods instead of sitting my butt down and letting them get gone by themselves

Old Post 07-04-2015 02:45 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danny Glista
UKC Forum Member

For me!

Starting and hunting them with an older hound and giving the youngster fur at the end that was not earned. Now,I always start and train them by themselves!! They tree 5 or 10 by themselves is alot better than 30 with an older hound showing them the way! Me to can get started easier than one might think!! JMO!!

Old Post 07-04-2015 03:28 PM
Danny Glista is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny Glista Click here to Send Danny Glista a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny Glista Find more posts by Danny Glista Add Danny Glista to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I quit showing pups caged coon a long time ago, imo they can get intimidated. I have plenty of coon so getting one started has not been a problem.

Old Post 07-04-2015 03:38 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

Thinking dogs need a lot of coon shot to them. A good dog doesn't need many. For a sorry dog you can't shoot enough.

Old Post 07-04-2015 03:59 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Useing the tone for recall instead of useing it as a training tool

Old Post 07-04-2015 04:27 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Useing the tone for recall instead of useing it as a training tool

Will you elaborate on why you feel this is a mistake?
Good thread Bruce!

Old Post 07-04-2015 04:59 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronman
UKC Forum Member

Not taking the time to teach a pup simply obedience. Once I figured out if I put a handle on a pup they would be a more enjoyable hound, everything else seemed to go better.

Old Post 07-04-2015 05:20 PM
Ronman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronman Click here to Send Ronman a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronman Find more posts by Ronman Add Ronman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I used to worry more about what everybody else thought about my dog more than what I did!

Old Post 07-04-2015 05:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by DFred
Will you elaborate on why you feel this is a mistake?
Good thread Bruce!

I wont say it is a mistake because to each his own...if you want to use it to call your dog back then it cant hardly be a mistake. I don't use it that way because to me it has a better application...I use it to "fire a warning shot" if the dog is doing something he shouldn't or appears to be going to get into trouble.
This gives him the opportunity to straighten up and fly right and avoid a shock. My experience has been that the dog can learn faster to get himself out of a bad habit if used this way.
The biggest reason I personally don't like to use it just to call the dog is because if I have a dog getting close to danger and for some reason it fails to work or in a nite hunt where I cant tone him the dog will just keep right on going. Dogs can get into trouble very quickly and I can yell out "HERE" a whole lot faster and easier than I can look at my Alpha, see which dog it's set to tone, change it if I need to and then tone the dog that is now laying dead on the side of the road.

As far as mistakes I have made...I guess the biggest one was when I used to believe that just turning a dog loose at night and calling that training because I was always told,"the more you hunt them the better they will get." After having too many dogs that were just never straight I got over it. These days I do not turn dogs loose at night if they run off game.

Last edited by msinc on 07-04-2015 at 05:57 PM

Old Post 07-04-2015 05:51 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

yall will want to kick me in the butt after hearing this. Many of the old timers on here may remember when this happened to me. LOOOONG story short. I got a bluetick pup. He started so quick. At 6 months old he treed his own coon by himself off a feeder bucket I had out. By 8 months he could DRIVE a track. Hard tree dog at 8 months old. Loud tree dog. He was a calm normal dog . All of sudden he developed this thing about growling in the dog box. It was BAAAD. It didn't matter who it was standing near the box. He showed TEETH !!!!! I reached in and he nearly bit me. I panicked. Thought he could possibly have rabies. Carried him to the vet that night he showed his teeth at us. The vet saw, she panicked. Got a stick with syringe on the end of it. Put him to sleep, killed my dog. She sent him off to be tested and he DID NOT have rabies. All that being said though, THANK GOD he didn't have rabies cause we was all around the dog and he was licking on my nieces and nephews. Now, I bet I hold the record for the dumbest mistake ! lol. Lets vote on it.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 07-04-2015 06:02 PM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

May of been a blessing, Jason

Old Post 07-04-2015 06:14 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

Yeah i have a friend that feels the same way. Yall may be right

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 07-04-2015 08:14 PM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

But at 8 months old he drove a track and crossed the little tallapoosa river and treed the coon. All by himself. There are grown dogs people take to the hunts that couldnt have done it like that. And he was 8 months old. By himself. And had the coon

Old Post 07-04-2015 08:16 PM
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Rushing

Them to get treed to fast. Feeder buckets, see one setting up and putting them on tree , I now know how dumb it is. Creates a tree monster

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Old Post 07-04-2015 08:47 PM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOEL HINSON
UKC Forum Member

Shooting to much at a tree with young dog there. Try to make it 1 shot 1 kill now. Looking back believe it scared dog enough they didn't want to stay at tree. Culled several because of it.

Old Post 07-04-2015 11:20 PM
JOEL HINSON is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOEL HINSON Click here to Send JOEL HINSON a Private Message Click Here to Email JOEL HINSON Find more posts by JOEL HINSON Add JOEL HINSON to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I reuined a couple pretty talented pups back when hides were high, learned to never give em a coon they didnt tree. Didnt have the willpower as a teenager to leave a $30 dollar coon sittin in the tree.

Old Post 07-04-2015 11:52 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

One of the worst mistakes I have made was listening to the folks at these UKC hunts when I was a young man. I read story ofter story and had verbal advice from several different coon hunters saying (Don't let that pup stand around you) (Light a fire under its butt and send it in the timber, that will make it hunt)

Well I cut me a few switches from time to time and did all I could to (light that fire) The only thing it created for me was a hound that would stand off in the brush, about 50 yards out and watch to see if I was headed its way to light that fire once again.

When I quit using that switch, and started using my voice for encouragement, I seen much better results of my dog going hunting. Some dogs are natural born hard driving explorers. Some dogs are medium explorers, and some dogs are close explorers, and no amount of (lighting that fire) will make them hunt any farther or faster, it will only make them hide from you because they don't really understand why you are mad at them.

Many hunters make the mistake of being overly friendly to their pup, thus creating that overwhelming desire for that pup to stay with or hang around you. When taking that pup to the woods, the best thing you can do is try to ignore the pup as much as possible. Only talk to it or encourage it when you see that it has done something good. The more you make the trips to the woods fun for the pup, the more the pup will want to go to the woods and explore. Just my two cents.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 07-04-2015 11:55 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Mistakes Made When Training Dogs

"All they need is more hunting"
The biggest mistake I've made has been to continue to hunt a young dog usually out of popular breeding, because they would tree their own coon at a young age but did not have the intelligence to ever achieve that the highest level of superiority. They would peak at a young age and make nice dogs but not have the intelligence to go to that top tier.

Second biggest mistake was been believing someone when they described a pup or young dog's parents. If I had went hunting with the parents before buying it I would have saved thousands of dollars. You should not expect the pup to turnout better than the worst parent. Later I'd find out that the parents were just nice dogs and I was looking for the level of of ability that the big time breeder had probably never seen let alone own.

Old Post 07-05-2015 12:38 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Where did I go wrong

Thinking I knew more than my dad did. He said not to buy that bluetick, I didn't listen and spent money on it. Should have listened.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 07-05-2015 01:41 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Training pups with old dogs. Since I've been training pups alone I have more independent dogs that tree coons alone at a younger age.

Old Post 07-05-2015 01:50 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildbill
UKC Forum Member

hunting them good early starting pups that tree their own coons with other peoples old dogs and getting them eat up at the tree...

desided just go back old school and hunt them with my own stuff or by self till they are 2-3 yrs old and could defend themselves if another dog got froggy..

dont belive the guy when he turns his dog loose and has a axe handle for a walking stick..

when they say dog will be deep and alone with the meat,
they has to be a reason why its alone, they arent going tell you that part.

not going hunt or breed to dogs that go 4 different directions when turned loose ,,waste whole night getting to 4 coon "deep and alone"

thats not my definition of coonhunting

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Old Post 07-05-2015 03:41 AM
wildbill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill Click here to Send wildbill a Private Message Click Here to Email wildbill Visit wildbill's homepage! Find more posts by wildbill Add wildbill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hntwitcurs
UKC Forum Member

first dog I trained myself I wasn't the best at finding the coon well some times after pulling her off the tree I'd find the coon then I lead her back in and shoot it out she would go back to trees like no other after that I about had her broke from this as she got older but man I worried anytime I had to cut her near that tree again

(pch big money x sch lil bit)

also future home to a bluetick that is going to hurt people's feelings just as soon as I find it!!!

Old Post 07-05-2015 04:03 AM
hntwitcurs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hntwitcurs Click here to Send hntwitcurs a Private Message Click Here to Email hntwitcurs Find more posts by hntwitcurs Add hntwitcurs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

I learned several things over the years. First off, a dog barking at a coon in a cage tells me nothing. My lab would do that. Second, basic dog obedience does wonders later on. Third, knowing the proper way to dish out discipline. Fourth, if you hear the phrase, "all he needs is one more year" run like hell.

Happy Fourth of July

Old Post 07-05-2015 11:41 AM
Black And Tan Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black And Tan Man Click here to Send Black And Tan Man a Private Message Click Here to Email Black And Tan Man Find more posts by Black And Tan Man Add Black And Tan Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote