UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ehrlichia Question??
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

Titer refers to the level of antibodies to a particular disease or group of diseases. Giving shots for example will show an increase in titer level. Positive or negative are more of a sliding scale of antibody titers. Even being exposed to some diseases yet not having a clinical case will raise titers.

For example one of the first immunizations was a natural occurrence. Milk maids in Europe were most often immune to small pox. So much so it was said the only fair faces in Europe were milk maids.

This was found to be because they were exposed to cow pox, a disease that effects the utters if cows, but is not contagious to humans with the exception of a couple of pox blisters on their hands. That exposure made them immune to the related small pox which was contagious to humans.

The first immunizations was actually that, or later eating a cow pox scab

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2019 08:25 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have been told that sending blood off for a titer was much more accurate than the snap test. But that was by a Vet who stood to make more money with the titer.

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

All I can tell you is I had tick fever in 1986 I was in the hospital sickest I ever been they treated me with tetracycline I am ok to this day. I had one dog that had it gave it tetracycline and it cured it and it never came back. I don't think the doxycycline is the right fix jmo.

Tar

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:17 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, why didn't they just switch you? Tetracvcline and doxycycline are in the same family of antibiotics. Dr's used to prescribe tetracycline and some still do but the "drug of choice" now is doxy.

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I seen others dogs treated with tetracycline and it cured them faster and no remission. I think it is more of the right drug for the disease!! Just like cancer the doctors don't want you to know that cancer cannot live in a high alcoline environment raw lemons , food grade baking soda a new an extract made in Mexico two older men I know are taking that and there advanced cancer is going away.

Jmo

Tarbaby

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:35 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

Jmo
Tarbaby

That says it all.

Old Post 01-21-2019 04:00 PM
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone know how erlichiosis effects a dog that causes all of the slick treeing?

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 04-14-2019 01:37 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

No one knows the answer to that question. How in the world does a germ or infection that inflames or irritates a dog's connective tissue and causes symptoms like arthritis affect a dog's treeing ability? And why does it cause some dogs to slick tree and others to trail all night and not tree?

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:48 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Bacteria

quote:
Originally posted by Travis O.
Does anyone know how erlichiosis effects a dog that causes all of the slick treeing?

Erlikia is a build up of Bacteria in the spinal Column. Anything in there is going to throw performance off. Enough of it will hamper simple motor skills.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 04-14-2019 06:06 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have a dog with it, he is a top hound until the temps get above 70. He makes mistakes, slick trees and just gets so hot. I work some very good vets. They have no answers. If anyone has answers please post.

Old Post 04-15-2019 01:35 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone had a dog go blind from ehrlichiosis? I believe I'm dealing with that situation now but will no more tomorrow after his vet appointment. The dogs eyes are getting glassy and he can only see movement at a close distance. I sure hope it's not permanent.

Old Post 04-15-2019 10:50 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Ask your vet to check him for blastomycosis. That is what gets in their eyes. It is a lot more serious than erlichia. :mad.

Old Post 04-15-2019 11:11 PM
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I definitely will Richard. Thanks

Old Post 04-15-2019 11:20 PM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
All I can tell you is I had tick fever in 1986 I was in the hospital sickest I ever been they treated me with tetracycline I am ok to this day. I had one dog that had it gave it tetracycline and it cured it and it never came back. I don't think the doxycycline is the right fix jmo.

Tar

Side effects of Tetracycline : false sense of knowledge, likes to argue and anal leakage.

Old Post 04-16-2019 02:29 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Travis O what did you find out?

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:27 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Travis O what did you find out?

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:27 AM
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Roy, the good news is that my dog doesn't have ehrlichiosis, the bad news is that something has caused him to go permanently blind. His retinas have detached so there's not much that can be done. If I had a couple of thousand dollars laying around, I could find out the cause but it wouldn't change the result.

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:53 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Travis, the reason I ask is my hunting buddy has a young dog 3 that has what you described. The vet said could be from ivomec, hereditary, or an injury. This dog dog fell out of at least a dozen trees. Maybe you dog has been injured.

Old Post 04-18-2019 07:51 PM