UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Anyone else seen this?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Anyone else seen this?

Who else Believes that the pups being born in the 50's and 60' have had the genes modified through the years to produce a genetically different coon hound pup being born today that 50 years ago.

I do and I will use one example to prove it. Some of this stuff you have to see to believe it and I don't expect anyone that has been around 10 or perhaps 20 years to have seen any of this.

Back in the 60's. Your hound pup was going to run something. If you were lucky enough to get one that hunted out or if you walked hunted it. They would several types of game. Every now and then you would find one that was always naturally straight back in the 60's and early 70's.

I never saw one naturally straight that didn't have some type of kink in their style. Seen many that if junk was struck, it upset them so bad. They could not function as a coon treeing hound. Not because they were trained that way. It was in the genetically. Today many lines if you keep them in coon. You have very little trash problems. If they do trash, most times it is easy to stop. It wasn't like that in the old days.

Using that as an example that I have personally seen several times. I also know the genetics for other things have changed. That is the main reason I like one from today better one from yesterday. The have the genetics we wanted and bred for, so why go back.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2019 04:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

1 reason would be "treeing idiots"...

"Who else Believes that the pups being born in the 50's and 60' have had the genes modified through the years to produce a genetically different coon hound pup being born today that 50 years agg"
The ecollar in my opinion was a game changer.....it has the ability to modify gene xpression.
50-60 years ago gene xpression wasn't so easily modified as it is today

Old Post 04-17-2019 04:57 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, as one of the guys that was hunting in the 60's and 70's I think that pups have changed dramatically. Mostly for the good with a couple of problems. It seemed to me that the dogs of yesterday took a lot more time and effort to get to the point that they could tree a coon. I had a Table Rock Flying Hawk dog in the early 70's that could tree a coon with style but absolutely loved to run a deer. I didn't have any means to correct him other than run him down and actually beat him but it never seemed to make a difference. He got ran over running a deer. A lot of pups back then just didn't have much tree instinct in them. In the last 5 years the good bred pups I have seen all have a lot of tree in them, some with too much, which is one of the problems. The second problem for me, which others would think was a blessing, is that these pups are so independent that I don't enjoy hunting them. Give me the choice of a pup from the 70's and today and I will take the pup from today but I will be a little picky about the breeding behind it to try to minimize the 2 problems I mentioned. I don't mind how hard going these pups are because I can train them to hunt the way I want.

Old Post 04-17-2019 05:22 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I started in the hunts in 1979 and most of the guys I hunted with and against had good dogs. If you didn’t you wouldn’t make it through three hours without minusing out. Far as young dogs they didn’t waste their time on a plug they would go as far as needed to get one that would work. But I did spend more time on some than they deserved. Nobody liked chasing a deer dog.

Tar

Old Post 04-17-2019 06:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I got one for ya kinda of a spin of of the original post. I know of line dogs that's almost straight from word go and if not they break off trash real easy. With the exception of running deer. The kicker is they mainly bad about running bucks while in rut. Pretty straight besides that. Several these dogs be 3 year old before getting broke off rutting bucks.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-17-2019 07:49 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
I got one for ya kinda of a spin of of the original post. I know of line dogs that's almost straight from word go and if not they break off trash real easy. With the exception of running deer. The kicker is they mainly bad about running bucks while in rut. Pretty straight besides that. Several these dogs be 3 year old before getting broke off rutting bucks.

Maybe I should raise some deer dogs. Bucks only has be worth something in deer dog market.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-17-2019 07:50 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote