UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How to train a pup
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shawn2219
UKC Forum Member

How to train a pup

I was looking into getting a pup I have an older dog, but would love to train my own. If anyone has any information on what works for them in training a pup it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-16-2019 04:49 AM
shawn2219 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawn2219 Click here to Send shawn2219 a Private Message Click Here to Email shawn2219 Find more posts by shawn2219 Add shawn2219 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

Main thing is short session so they don't get bored imo

Old Post 04-16-2019 06:31 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I don't know what works, but I know 1000 things that don't work!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 04-16-2019 08:35 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

With the right pup, it's easy, with the wrong pup it's impossible.

Old Post 04-16-2019 09:57 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I have a kennel where I keep my pups...and it is in a fenced in backyard so I can turn them loose and not worry about them...most everything I do with them is somewhat a set up for informal training or conditioning... I let them out on an empty stomach and let them play...when I step out of the house I act as if I am calling them out of the woods...they come flying to me for attention and treats...I pet them up a few minutes and then I ignore them and I tinker around in the backyard... I want the pups to go off and do their own thing...same as in the woods...come say hi to me and go back to hunting...

After a couple of weeks I break them to gunfire when I call them to me when I step out of the house...always read your pups and adjust accordingly...sometimes apply more and sometimes less...

When it is feeding time they are really hungry by now and they will come running to kennel when called...give a signal and verbal command when they are coming in for feeding...they are learning to come when called and they are also learning verbal commands to kennel...use their momentum to your advantage...

Take them to the woods and turn them out in a good open spot where you can keep an eye on them...ignore the pups and let them go off and explore for a while...

And as already mentioned don’t over train a pup...you want to shut it down on a good note...you want to keep it exciting for them...

If you are to feed the pups first and then let them out to run and play...try putting them up when they aren’t hungry and there is no incentive to kennel up...they will not come when called...so they learn they don’t have to mind you...and worse they learn quickly they can outrun you...you want the pup to trust you even when you correct him...that is how mama does them...and so can you when needed...
What I am saying appear to be small things but the rewards are big...

If you can’t follow through with a correction sometimes it is better to wait until the next time when you can reach out and make that correction...not saying it’s the best way but these are things I have learned over the years that work for me...hope this helps

Last edited by Reuben on 04-19-2019 at 03:24 AM

Old Post 04-17-2019 04:07 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

This should be the title of an all time best selling how to train a pup book.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 04-17-2019 01:12 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:

NUFF SAID!

Old Post 04-17-2019 01:51 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I agree in this way...with the right pup it is easy if we do the right things at the right times...

With the wrong pup we can do all the right things and it won’t really matter...it’s a waste of time... I won’t keep them long enough to find out if they will turn on...we can tell when a pup is on that learning curve or above it...those are the ones we put our hopes in...

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:17 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

IMO pups gotta do 2 things to be "workable" you gotta go hunting at least a little, and you eventually gotta get treed, even if its the wrong game, or wrong trees. Without these 2 things as a bare minimum it is almost impossible for a trainer to get a pup going.

I like to show them a coon just to they have an excitement level toward that scent.......than I turn NOT SHOWN coons loose as I catch them and take them hunting even chance I get. It can be slow going at times taking a pup by itself but I feel like it learns exponentially more that way on a night in night out basis.

Spend time with the dog outside of the woods, take it for walks when its young, expose it to a lot of things and teach it what reward and punishment is. In my experience it takes a lot of different pups til you find that one.......once you do you will wonder why you wasted so much time on on the others. Good luck, I hope your first one is the one!!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:46 PM