UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > long range antenna on dogtra
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

long range antenna on dogtra

Does anyone have a suggestion on a long range antenna for a dogtra. I want one that actually screws into the transmitter not one for the truck.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-10-2019 08:37 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

We have guys using the Garmin aftermarket antennas on their Dogtra

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 07-10-2019 10:02 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnharris
We have guys using the Garmin aftermarket antennas on their Dogtra

Did you notice much of a difference?

Old Post 07-11-2019 02:18 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Most say they are getting about 1/2 mile more range and not losing signal as often

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 07-11-2019 04:56 AM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Just like the Garmin Systems or a CB/VHF Radio in your truck. You can own the most expensive system in the world. But range is all about the antenna you use. All antennas are not the same.
People ask all the time. Which one is best. There is no best because what everybody wants is different.

If your talking strictly range. That is one thing. But most of the time the people want convince with the antenna being small and out of the way. Those don't perform the best.
There is a 14" flexible antenna that works well. But many people say it slaps them when they carry the Connector box or it is on top their ALPHA. That 14" antenna also comes in lengths up to 20 inches. Many Bear Hunters use those. There is a metal telescoping antella that goes out to 47 inches that works well. But adds weight to unit and if you bump it into things, can break the sma connection on the device. Like Hunter Harris. I probably have a dozen different antennas in my store. Everyone ask for a Long Range antenna. They all fit in that category. Just which one do you want and are comfortable carrying. On my personal system you will find one of three, depending on what I am doing. One of the short orange antennas. A 14" flexible antenna which I think is one of the best all around antenna. Please don't confuse the 14" flex with the 13" garmin antenna. Totally different. If I ever need more range than the 14" flex antenna. I hook up to a truck mount.
One note on the short Orange Antenna. The first ones that came into this country maybe 4 years ago were no better than the short black antenna that came with the Garmin Products. Then after explaining this to the China suppliers they made some modifications and they are a lot better now.

Old Post 07-11-2019 12:44 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Just like the Garmin Systems or a CB/VHF Radio in your truck. You can own the most expensive system in the world. But range is all about the antenna you use. All antennas are not the same.
People ask all the time. Which one is best. There is no best because what everybody wants is different.

If your talking strictly range. That is one thing. But most of the time the people want convince with the antenna being small and out of the way. Those don't perform the best.
There is a 14" flexible antenna that works well. But many people say it slaps them when they carry the Connector box or it is on top their ALPHA. That 14" antenna also comes in lengths up to 20 inches. Many Bear Hunters use those. There is a metal telescoping antella that goes out to 47 inches that works well. But adds weight to unit and if you bump it into things, can break the sma connection on the device. Like Hunter Harris. I probably have a dozen different antennas in my store. Everyone ask for a Long Range antenna. They all fit in that category. Just which one do you want and are comfortable carrying. On my personal system you will find one of three, depending on what I am doing. One of the short orange antennas. A 14" flexible antenna which I think is one of the best all around antenna. Please don't confuse the 14" flex with the 13" garmin antenna. Totally different. If I ever need more range than the 14" flex antenna. I hook up to a truck mount.
One note on the short Orange Antenna. The first ones that came into this country maybe 4 years ago were no better than the short black antenna that came with the Garmin Products. Then after explaining this to the China suppliers they made some modifications and they are a lot better now.

Thanks Mr. Bruce I ordered a dogtra from corey at your store earlier this week. I had a dogtra previously but it was stolen with my truck and all my other coon hunting stuff at the end of May so I'm restocking on everything lol. I went ahead and ordered a 14" orange flexible antenna. i don't mind it being a little longer and in the way myself. Its just where we hunt in south ms in national forest i need a little more range because it's not uncommon to make a tree at a mile or so. typically my previous dogtra would cut out at like .9-1.1 miles and even then it's spotty. Thanks for the advice.

Old Post 07-11-2019 02:31 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks, I seriously want to know how this antenna works for you. If it doesn't live up to expectations. PM me and we can discuss other options. I think you made a good choice but in this business. Everyday seems to be a day with different results.

Old Post 07-11-2019 03:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Partner,
I guess I need one of the orange flexible antennas...….
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 07-11-2019 04:33 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Bruce, is there a difference in performance between the 13” Garmin flexible antenna and the 14” flexible that you carry?

Old Post 07-11-2019 04:36 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The difference is mainly over time, brand new out of the box there may only be a slight difference. You have to cut them open to see the difference in quality. The garmin is a smaller wire around a center. It is subject to bending and cracking. The 14” flexible that most dealers sale is better constructed and keeps on working well. The thing with antennas. Most people dont pay them any mind. The ones on the dog collars are all chewed up and frayed. The ones on the handhelds are bent. Many say they work fine that way and some actually do. I am not going to loose range on a several hundred dollar system because of a fifteen dollar or less antenna. More importantly loose my dog.

Old Post 07-11-2019 07:03 PM
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

quote:
The difference is mainly over time, brand new out of the box there may only be a slight difference. You have to cut them open to see the difference in quality. The garmin is a smaller wire around a center. It is subject to bending and cracking. The 14” flexible that most dealers sale is better constructed and keeps on working well. The thing with antennas. Most people dont pay them any mind. The ones on the dog collars are all chewed up and frayed. The ones on the handhelds are bent. Many say they work fine that way and some actually do. I am not going to loose range on a several hundred dollar system because of a fifteen dollar or less antenna. More importantly loose my dog.

Good point. Thanks for the reply and I’ll probably place an order with you here shortly

Old Post 07-12-2019 12:07 AM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote