UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question: What % of dogs ?
Vote on the question below
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
1% 10 8.33%
5% 39 32.50%
25% 48 40.00%
50% 23 19.17%
Total: 120 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
longshot
UKC Forum Member

Question: What % of dogs ?

What percentage of adult coondogs will fire in at least 500 yards by themselves and strike and tree a coon and stay treed for at least 30 minutes ?

Vote in the poll.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2013 01:44 AM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LIL-E
UKC Forum Member

From what I have seen around here very few.

Old Post 04-02-2013 01:53 AM
LIL-E is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LIL-E Click here to Send LIL-E a Private Message Find more posts by LIL-E Add LIL-E to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigman816
UKC Forum Member

bingo

Just a couple nights ago, I took my Bingo dog and a friend had his black female. We let dogs tree for 5 minutes before we went to them. Unbeknown to us, we had to cross a ravine, and it took about 15 minutes. It took another 5 to get to the dogs. They never skipped a beat! We find the coon, and he ends up getting stuck in the tree for over ten minutes before he finally fell. Dogs were treed a total of 34 minutes. 20 minutes before we got there. This is something that we do on a regular basis, so it is not uncommon for our dogs. They have split within 35 yards of each other several times, and neither have pulled. Now, Im sure that the next time I take him, he'll pull. LOL.....Anyway, just my thoughts.>>>Jim Harper

'PR' Mar Mack Blue Queen
R.I.P.---
CH 'PR' Beavercreek Stonecold Blu Bozo

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:27 AM
pigman816 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigman816 Click here to Send pigman816 a Private Message Click Here to Email pigman816 Find more posts by pigman816 Add pigman816 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Around where I grew up huntin a dog better dang well stay alot longer than 30 minutes or you would never see a coon cause most times it took longer than that to get to them after they treed, plenty of 3 hour or longer trees by the time you could get to them. Never had any issues with any of them not treeing long enough.

Now the firing in there 500 yards by themselves, plenty I hunted with won't do that. Don't believe it just see how many ask that last dog not to withdraw so their dog don't have to hunt by itself LOL.

I honestly do think the number of dogs that will go hunting by themselves has gotten better over the years, alot better. When I first started in the 80's and early 90's everybody pack hunted and it was rare to see a dog that would really go good by itself. Now it's pretty common.

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:40 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I agree with you Mark. I don't think the majority of hunters go hunting alone often enough for their dogs to develop those abilities. I hunt alone 95% of the time which explains why very few dogs make the grade at my place.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:42 AM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

Yep Travis, I think a lot of guys just "assume" their dog will do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Now the firing in there 500 yards by themselves, plenty I hunted with won't do that. Don't believe it just see how many ask that last dog not to withdraw so their dog don't have to hunt by itself LOL.

Ain't that the truth. I've heard several say " Oh, you might as well cut yours loose too.

500 yards really isn't very far but it's suprising how many dogs wont do it or if they do , it takes them a half hour when alone.

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:52 AM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dirtdevil
Banned

These polls always make me feel sorry for folks ... having to hunt with everyone else's non-hunting , slick treeing , trashy dogs , lol ...

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:59 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smartin0022
UKC Forum Member

From what I've seen about 1 in 4 can go out run a track and tree a coon alone and hold 30 minutes. If they can't hold for 30 minutes they ought a be pushing up daisies and never reproducing.

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:00 AM
smartin0022 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smartin0022 Click here to Send smartin0022 a Private Message Click Here to Email smartin0022 Find more posts by smartin0022 Add smartin0022 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Howard
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question: What % of dogs ?

quote:
Originally posted by longshot
What percentage of adult coondogs will fire in at least 500 yards by themselves and strike and tree a coon and stay treed for at least 30 minutes ?

Vote in the poll.

What age like 5 plus in age adult? Got one here that will do it regular, but goes as far as needed, will strike close etc. not afraid of the dark! Thought that was the normal for a dog that trees coons from the truck, but we don't walk em much, they need to go huntin or they will not stay here, got to have GO!. But determination and desire has alot to do with that, but jmo.

PKC CH County Line Big'N, Natural (RIP) Independent.
County Line Sod Buster (Big'n x Bev)$ Brains, Accurate a Pleasure to hunt..
County Line Alittle Ambraw Pepper(Big'n x Jenny)
Line bred Pups Buster x Pepper 12/09/16
Working to rebuild some of the old Ambraw blood line.
(618) 214-1695

LUCK-Is when opportunity & Preperation Meet

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:02 AM
Randy Howard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Howard Click here to Send Randy Howard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Howard Find more posts by Randy Howard Add Randy Howard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

If they wanna live at my house long tbey better go deeper and stay till I get there.

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:02 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dirtdevil
These polls always make me feel sorry for folks ... having to hunt with everyone else's non-hunting , slick treeing , trashy dogs , lol ...

You'll feel sorry-er when you drive half way across the country only to try out a dog that doesn't clear 200 yards on the Garmin...

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:06 AM
Randy Howard
UKC Forum Member

Surprised

Very surprised to see the 5% and 25% votes.

(618) 214-1695

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:12 AM
Randy Howard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Howard Click here to Send Randy Howard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Howard Find more posts by Randy Howard Add Randy Howard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dirtdevil
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by longshot
You'll feel sorry-er when you drive half way across the country only to try out a dog that doesn't clear 200 yards on the Garmin...

Been there , spent all summer one year trying out Walker dogs with a buddy ... some well bred dogs that guys wanted a chunk for . He'd ask if he could bring my old no name B&T along to try em' out and they'd jump on that , lol ... I was honestly surprised at how many $1,500 dogs from high powered studs would run behind Raider babbling and if they did tree , it would be 50yrds away on a slick because somebody had tried to shock the independence into them .

But , that's what we got for trying out the dogs they didn't wanna keep instead of hunting with the ones that they didn't wanna sell ...

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:14 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smartin0022
UKC Forum Member

Re: Surprised

Why? look at the stats bud. 3,000 pups 40 grand notes and 25-30 nite champions and they call em a reproducer! Stats show way lower percentages!

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Howard
Very surprised to see the 5% and 25% votes.

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:16 AM
smartin0022 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smartin0022 Click here to Send smartin0022 a Private Message Click Here to Email smartin0022 Find more posts by smartin0022 Add smartin0022 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Howard
UKC Forum Member

smartin0022

Well if you put it that way LOL.

(618) 214-1695

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:19 AM
Butler Creek
UKC Forum Member

i got three here that will that range from 13months to 7 yrs i honestly dont know why someone would want one that wouldn't JMO but i have seen dogs that wouldnt go 200 to 300 yards alone

GRNITECH PKC CH BUTLERCREEKS HARDWOOD PANIC
GRAND AT 17 MONTHS...QUALIFIED FOR 2013 WORLD AT 14 MONTHS

QUALIFIED FOR 2015 WORLD HUNT

CH NITECH BUTLERCREEKS HARDWOOD KISS

CH NITECH Hardcore Hooker

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:52 AM
Butler Creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Butler Creek Click here to Send Butler Creek a Private Message Find more posts by Butler Creek Add Butler Creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

I don't care how many they can tree hitch hiking if they don't go alone they won't stay here have gave away several that people said your crazy that's a coon dog. If it were a true coon dog it would not have to have something take it hunting. If Ukc and pkc would make a dog go alone and tree a coon on its own there would be a lot less useless pups out there but that's not gonna happen they would lose too much money. Guys will always make excuses why they want hunt alone truth is they if it ain't in them they want hunt.

Old Post 04-02-2013 04:32 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smartin0022
UKC Forum Member

It has to do with how you train them too. I take mine in thunder, lighting, frog drownders, ice, snow, sleet, hail, heat and cold. My dogs are all trained in every condition to ensure they can do it in every condition. No better feeling than cutting em in a hunt and your dog is the only one that will hunt when the others come back to the truck! 500 yards or 5 miles I want them to tree coons no matter what if I unsnap it it better get to doing its job(treeing ringtails).

Old Post 04-02-2013 04:38 AM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

To eat my food everyone in my kennel and pups included that are here !!! 500 yards isn't very far at all in thin coon and to me in order to be called a coon dawg your requirements need to be more stringent!!! Jmo

Old Post 04-02-2013 06:02 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

But what your asking and seeing is not out of the normal not many dogs today will hunt alone and out of the 12-14 pups I started over the last ssvn years 1 would hunt hard and had that desire I cake it and that was a wipeout pup and I couldn't stand her mouth!!! Heart and desire are a hard to find trait these days in the over tree power that a lot have bred for these last ten years and it sucks!!!! By the way none of those pups is at my house at this time!!!

Old Post 04-02-2013 06:08 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fcblackandtans
UKC Forum Member

bowling

x-2 Mark, I know the percentage that have lived past me and it's bad!

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:17 PM
fcblackandtans is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fcblackandtans Click here to Send fcblackandtans a Private Message Find more posts by fcblackandtans Add fcblackandtans to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toejam
UKC Forum Member

Question I have is what % of these message board warriors would go to a hound 500yds deep treed alone in the dark by themselves ?

Here at cohulla creek kennels we breed for the show, the show that goes on in the timber.!

John R. Isenhower 706-313-3965

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:45 PM
toejam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toejam Click here to Send toejam a Private Message Click Here to Email toejam Find more posts by toejam Add toejam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smartin0022
UKC Forum Member

Lol I hope all of them but I doubt it.

quote:
Originally posted by toejam
Question I have is what % of these message board warriors would go to a hound 500yds deep treed alone in the dark by themselves ?

Old Post 04-02-2013 02:58 PM
Randy Howard
UKC Forum Member

toejam

25%

(618) 214-1695

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:15 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by toejam

In high school, most everyone thought I was nuts for hunting by myself in an area known as a body dump area. I sort of liked the idea they thought I was nuts.lol

As for the poll, if a dog didn't hunt by itself and stay treed by two, it isn't living at my house!

Aim small miss small

Old Post 04-02-2013 03:19 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote