UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup price
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

Pup price

Guys I’m getting ready to breed River next week. She’s done a lot of winning and I’m just curious as to what you think is a fair price. I’ve sold 5 pups already for a price that I’ll let you know after this post is done. But we’re breeding her to Big Money.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Last edited by Night Shift on 08-12-2019 at 05:06 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-03-2019 12:19 AM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Whatever it cost to register how you want and cover shots and worming. Anything more is a man making money off dogs. And that’s where trouble begins!

Old Post 08-03-2019 12:42 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Whatever it cost to register how you want and cover shots and worming. Anything more is a man making money off dogs. And that’s where trouble begins!

What is wrong with a man making money off of dogs?

Old Post 08-03-2019 02:06 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Let's see....
Buy a top female....$4,000
Register her.....$50
Feed her for a year...$200
Shots......$20
Worm her...$30
Tick preventative....$30
Heartworm preventative.... $30
DNA profile her....$120

Stud fee...$300

Register pups UKC...$175
Register pups PKC....$250
Pups shots..... $100
Worm pups....$50

That is about $6,000, so if you sell 6 pups I guess $1,000 each would be a fair price.

Old Post 08-03-2019 04:24 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

That's about right, now one can see why selling pups is a losing deal. You can make more money working at McDonald's. I am thankful to the dedicated breeders that keep us supplied with pups, I would not raise and sell pups at any price that was reasonable. I repeat, there is no money made in selling pups unless someone operates a puppy mill. A respected breeder will never get rich selling pups. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-03-2019 05:40 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Richard

I have a new respect for you. Didn't realize the sacrifice you were making selling those $500 dollar pups and losing 500 on each one. No wonder you are THE KING. You must be a rich man to be able to afford to do that.

Old Post 08-03-2019 01:27 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Pup price

The pup price depends on the person selling the pups. Do ya want as much money as you can get? Are ya just hoping to cover the cost? Are you just wanting a pup from the cross for yourself and some friends? Are you getting all the bells and whistles in multiple registries. All these things add up and determine some of the price.
Me personally I generally breed for my own pups. I would have a hard time justifying paying over $300 for a pup but if I thought it was special enough and wanted the bells and whistles I would maybe pay up to $500 but hey call me cheap or whatever. My reasoning would be that's a lot of money for me weather it turns out good or pushes daisies.

Old Post 08-03-2019 02:03 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I would probably sell them for $750.

We sold the Bella pups for $600 out of basically an unknown stud, and they were all booked in 3 hours.

I sell them high because they are worth it, and because people are less likely to waste a thousand dollar puppy. They'll go through those $300 dollar ones like they are free.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 08-03-2019 at 02:22 PM

Old Post 08-03-2019 02:19 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr River and Mr Richards, I am just trying to "better my breed". I want to see a World Champion Redbone some day.

$300 pup
$50 to pay it up in PP
$100 to pay it up in S/S
$50 gas to meet the buyer for delivery
A "paid up" pup is a $500 pup.

If you think that anyone is making any money selling pups you should try it and keep track of your expenses. The only question is how much are you willing to lose?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-03-2019 at 02:38 PM

Old Post 08-03-2019 02:20 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

I would be more worried about who gets them than selling them. I bred my female to Tucker she had 11 pups I sold 7 of them and still took a big loss after all the paperwork and vet bills.
I thought someone that paid for a pup would give them a good chance but the only ones that ever had a decent chance are the 3 I kept myself.
If I had it to do over I would have just made sure they got in good hands.

Old Post 08-03-2019 04:12 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Richard

I hope you achive your goal and I expect it to happen any time now. You and several red dog breeders seem to be doing your homework and putting forth the effort. Good luck to you all.
p.s. I just enjoy poking the bear every once in a while

Old Post 08-03-2019 06:40 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

Top bred pups should easily be worth $1000 each. But, if you price them too high many good dog trainers won't be able to afford them. My 2 cents would be price them around $500 to $700. I've noticed over the years that if you sell them real high that the guys that have the money to buy them are working too much to have time to train them. If you price them too cheap people who are more interested in a bargain than a top notch coonhound will buy them. So if you want to see the pups make something I would suggest pricing them moderately high.

It costs a lot of money to raise, train, care for, title, breed, and raise pups. Do not feel like you should do it for nothing.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 08-03-2019 06:59 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

I am more interested in who gets them than making a buck.

Old Post 08-03-2019 07:19 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wes Coffman
I am more interested in who gets them than making a buck.

That was my point. If I know a man will hunt them hard, I’ll give him one. If I know they will not hunt them, I wouldn’t sell them one for any amount of money. Never sold a pup and don’t intend to start. If I breed two dogs it’s because I want them or close friends do.
I’ve culled as many $1,000-$1,200 dollar dogs as I have $200 dollar ones. Price tags mean nothing, other than I was dumb enough to fall for it multiple times. I thought higher price equaled better quality but that’s not been my experience. Quality dogs are quality dogs, free or expensive. Money just muddies the water when men sink that much into them most will not cull the junk and it remains in the gene pool for the rest of us to have to deal with.
There is no right answer. Just what this man feels they are worth. I’m not well connected or know as many people as most of you and even I know men that make money off puppy sales. It isn’t hard to find puppies but real hard to find real good dogs. You do the math. Lots of junk getting bred for puppy sales!

Old Post 08-03-2019 08:03 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Culls are everywhere...many people selling pups will tell you they have exactly what you want...

When you finally find the bloodline that works for you then it is best to breed your own from those dogs...this way you get to watch the pups daily and test them...keep 4 pups and then give or sell a few until you have what you think are the best one or two...it’s a win win...

Labor and cost in doing this way does not factor in...selecting the best possible pups is the goal...

Old Post 08-03-2019 08:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

You are preaching to the choir, I am fully on your side regarding pup prices. Quality is never cheap and cheap usually is not quality. Personally, I want quality and have never had a problem with paying for quality. I know that I want nothing to do with raising and selling pups, I leave that up to the dedicated breeders that KNOW what they are doing. Dave

Old Post 08-04-2019 12:50 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

My opinion is when you price them cheap or give them away you have a different class of hunter come to get them ( one that doesn’t hardly hunt) unless you hand pick who gets them but when you pay a good price for a pup you have some incentive to put all the time you can into your investment

Old Post 08-05-2019 01:57 AM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

I'm the opposite. I think most with a lot of pup experience know you never know what you are going to get. Even pups in the same litter have a bunch of personality / performance differences. Unless it is a proven cross why would you waste a bunch of money on a pup that might not turn out? Most with good dogs aren't looking for an expensive pup to gamble on. Honest people who truly hunt their dogs have enough contacts to find a high percentage pup from a cross that doesn't have to be promoted and advertised on the internet or anywhete else.

Old Post 08-05-2019 03:55 AM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dbender
I'm the opposite. I think most with a lot of pup experience know you never know what you are going to get....

I am the opposite, I think that most with a lot of pup experience know that if you "know" the pedigree/dogs then you know what you are going to get.

Old Post 08-05-2019 02:25 PM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Price of Pups

I raised a litter of pups out of Bellars Psycho and Deventers Penney last year and the cost of registration, DNA results, vaccinations, artificial insemination, and puppy chow was $667
per pup and there were 8 pups. I made the cross for my own use and required references of potential buyers of their past history of raising a coon dog. I kept 3 and sold the pups for $1000 for first pick with the last pick selling for $500. Definitely didn't make any profit on the as pups, but hopefully the ones that I kept will be better than one of my older dogs.

Old Post 08-05-2019 03:44 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

$1000 to $1200 is reasonable, but I could understand if you wantrd double that with her being national champion. Like others have said, getting them into right hands is the important part. Just be prepared for guys to back out when it's time to pick them up.

Lone Pine North

Last edited by Lone Pine JB on 08-05-2019 at 04:27 PM

Old Post 08-05-2019 04:25 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Pup Price

I had to keep the pups for 6 months for the DNA results. Pups were handled each day, lead, tied out and let run in fenced in area where I work. They were loaded in a dog box and hauled at least once a week. They all knew their names and would come when called and given a treat. They were not hunted as I didn't want potential buyers to get pups that had been gone through.
The pay off was knowing that the pups had been socialized before going to their new homes.

Old Post 08-05-2019 04:26 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I would probably sell them for $750.

I sell them high because they are worth it, and because people are less likely to waste a thousand dollar puppy. They'll go through those $300 dollar ones like they are free.

Best answer on here ! 1k pups wont set in a pen and go to waste

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 08-05-2019 04:58 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

and people want you to give them a pup for nothing,thats why I am very selective in what I breed to cause I sure in the heck are not getting rich,and that doesn't take in any vet bills in case you need to take one to the vet.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:12 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

1k pups

When 2 fool's met.

Old Post 08-06-2019 12:57 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote