UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rear dew claws in bench show?
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

Allen, why do we have breed standards if you can show and possibly make a bench champion out of an off standard dog? I'm not just talking about dew claws but things like droopy eye lids, thin chest, bad feet. You see them all the time and I wonder how in the world they made ch or grch.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-2015 09:42 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Showing a dog with dew claws is like taking the ugliest girl in school to the senior prom yea you could do it but why would you !!

Even if you really like an ugly one, you shouldn't take her to the prom. Jmo

Old Post 10-09-2015 09:44 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Lol

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
So in other words. It IS NOT a disqualifying fault.

That's funny. Did anyone let Shadinc know its not a disqualifying trait? Lol

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 10-10-2015 12:01 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

Hahaha told ya so

Mike Hopkins
$Backwoods treeing walker$

Old Post 10-10-2015 12:04 AM
Bigsmo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigsmo Click here to Send Bigsmo a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigsmo Find more posts by Bigsmo Add Bigsmo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
calblu
UKC Forum Member

Blue eye(s), same deal as rear dew claws. Not preferred for most breeds but not specifically listed as a dq.....until the breed clubs vote to make it a dq.

Don't take life too seriously -- nobody gets out alive!

Old Post 10-10-2015 02:41 AM
calblu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for calblu Click here to Send calblu a Private Message Click Here to Email calblu Visit calblu's homepage! Find more posts by calblu Add calblu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Lol

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
That's funny. Did anyone let Shadinc know its not a disqualifying trait? Lol
Yes, I read it, Mike. In one of your posts, you said I shouldn't be a judge. Well, I'm not. I never even showed a dog in a bench show. But, for clarity, I think UKC should change the wording from "dewclaws removed" to "dewclaws preferably removed". It was fun anyway.

Last edited by shadinc on 10-12-2015 at 02:52 AM

Old Post 10-10-2015 05:11 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Lol

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Yes, I read it, Mike. In one of your posts, you said I shouldn't be a judge. Well, I'm not. I never even showed a dog in a bench show. But, for clarity, I think UKC should change the wording from "dewclaws removed" to "dewclaws preferably removed". I was fun anyway.

I totally agree with you. I actually feel they need removed! Just looking for infection and injury when hunting them. You should become a judge. More judges the more eyes we have grading these hounds. We just need to get the breed associations to put it in the rules Dewclaws is a disqualifying trait.it was a fun thread and just so you know I think all hounds should have championship points and hunt to show.

Old Post 10-10-2015 05:17 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J I Allen
Allen, why do we have breed standards if you can show and possibly make a bench champion out of an off standard dog? I'm not just talking about dew claws but things like droopy eye lids, thin chest, bad feet. You see them all the time and I wonder how in the world they made ch or grch.

One man's "off standard" dog may be another man's beautiful dog. I have often heard it said that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Maybe that is why the same dog doesn't win every bench show even when the same dogs are shown. I guess that the dogs they were showing against had droopier eyelids, thinner chests or worse feet. It isn't that hard to figure out, just like some of the dogs who make Nt Ch or Gr Nt Ch. One mans Gr Nt Ch may be another mans cull. I have hunted with Gr Nt Ch's that the owner thought was the best dog in the world and I thought to myself that I would not own the dog. And I am sure that some have thought the same of my dog. I am sure that it is the same for bench show dogs. And I am glad that y'all have this rear dew claw thing figured out now.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-10-2015 at 06:01 PM

Old Post 10-10-2015 05:51 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
I don't show dogs but found this thread interesting. I read it probably 3 times and I still don't know if dew claws are allowed or not. lol

I'll ask my bench show judge buddies.

Why do you care? Champ?

Old Post 10-10-2015 08:22 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

Richard, it doesn't make any difference how pretty you think your dog is, if it doesn't meet the breed standards he shouldn't place in any show. I like your thinking, so if I show up at enough nite hunts with these 3 worthless dogs of mine, they will say Joe your dogs don't meet the standards for a nite champion, but since you show up at all the hunts we're going to make your dogs nite champions. I think that's a good idea, might make more people show up at the hunts.

Old Post 10-11-2015 12:13 AM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J I Allen
This is a good point. If the two ugliest dogs in the world show against each other five times, one of them is going to be a champion.

Old Post 10-11-2015 11:29 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

The breed standard clearly states in each and every breed that the dogs must have the ability to trail and tree coon. Two of the breeds even say they should be good swimmers. So if were using breed standards then 99% of the show dogs would be DQ'ed before they stepped into the ring. As a whole the hunting dogs fit the breed standards far better then the show dogs. Bottom line is put a show dog that looks pretty beside a hunting dog with dew claws. If that show dog can't prove it can track and tree coon which dog better fits the breed standard of a "coonhound" that's simple.

Old Post 10-11-2015 02:58 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Sure don't look so bad on the hardwood!!!!!

Old Post 10-11-2015 03:12 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But the lack of the ability to track and tree a coon is not a disqualifying fault. I can't believe that y'all think that ugly girls don't have the right to go to their Senior Prom. Apparantly y'all think that only the "pretty" girls have the right to go. What about the "ugly" boys? Do they have to stay home too? Maybe they should have seperate proms for the "pretty" people and the "ugly" people. What if the Captain of the football team was "ugly". Could he go to the "pretty" Prom or would he have to go to the "ugly" Prom? What if the "ugly" football team Captain was dating a "pretty" girl. Would they go to the "pretty" Prom or the "ugly" Prom. And I wonder who would judge who the "pretty" girls and guys were and who the "ugly" girls and guys were? Would the "prettiest" girl at the "ugly" people Prom still get crowned the Queen? What if a "pretty" girl went to the "ugly" Prom just so she could win the Queen crown?

Bench shows are just like night hunts. Some Nt Ch's can tree a coon quick and some it takes all night to tree one. But they both can tree a coon. When you get in a cast where it takes all 3 dogs all night to tree one coon. The "quickest" one can still win.

What if a bench show dog has the ability to tree a coon but you have to walk him/her across a track? Would that count? There sure are a lot of variables or questions here. And it seems that everyone has a different "standard" or trait that they put more emphasis on. To some it is dew claws and to some it is "ability to tree a coon". To some it is color and to some it is the length of their ears. If every judge had the same "preferences" then the same dog would win every show.

But at least we do know now that rear dew claws are not a disqualifying fault no matter what a bench show judge may tell you.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-11-2015 at 03:59 PM

Old Post 10-11-2015 03:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
But the lack of the ability to track and tree a coon is not a disqualifying fault. I can't believe that y'all think that ugly girls don't have the right to go to their Senior Prom. Apparantly y'all think that only the "pretty" girls have the right to go. What about the "ugly" boys? Do they have to stay home too? Maybe they should have seperate proms for the "pretty" people and the "ugly" people. What if the Captain of the football team was "ugly". Could he go to the "pretty" Prom or would he have to go to the "ugly" Prom? What if the "ugly" football team Captain was dating a "pretty" girl. Would they go to the "pretty" Prom or the "ugly" Prom. And I wonder who would judge who the "pretty" girls and guys were and who the "ugly" girls and guys were? Would the "prettiest" girl at the "ugly" people Prom still get crowned the Queen? What if a "pretty" girl went to the "ugly" Prom just so she could win the Queen crown?

Bench shows are just like night hunts. Some Nt Ch's can tree a coon quick and some it takes all night to tree one. But they both can tree a coon. When you get in a cast where it takes all 3 dogs all night to tree one coon. The "quickest" one can still win.

What if a bench show dog has the ability to tree a coon but you have to walk him/her across a track? Would that count? There sure are a lot of variables or questions here. And it seems that everyone has a different "standard" or trait that they put more emphasis on. To some it is dew claws and to some it is "ability to tree a coon". To some it is color and to some it is the length of their ears. If every judge had the same "preferences" then the same dog would win every show.

But at least we do know now that rear dew claws are not a disqualifying fault no matter what a bench show judge may tell you.

The only reason I wouldn't take the sweet little ugly darling to the prom, is thd fear of her getting a complex with all those pretty ones around

Old Post 10-11-2015 04:37 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Lol, love it

Wow, that about says it all there. I think I would go to both proms!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

Old Post 10-11-2015 04:58 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Some of those ugly girls had rich family's I always got the poor ones lol !!

Old Post 10-11-2015 05:21 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Cowan
UKC Forum Member

bad judge

it time to turn in the name of judge and have it done with

Old Post 10-12-2015 02:41 AM
John Cowan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Cowan Click here to Send John Cowan a Private Message Click Here to Email John Cowan Find more posts by John Cowan Add John Cowan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Cowan
UKC Forum Member

bad judge

it time to turn in the name of judge and have it done with

Old Post 10-12-2015 02:41 AM
John Cowan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Cowan Click here to Send John Cowan a Private Message Click Here to Email John Cowan Find more posts by John Cowan Add John Cowan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I went to the prom with an ugly, poor girl. And she had dewclaws.

Old Post 10-12-2015 02:57 AM
calblu
UKC Forum Member

I'll take a rich ugly guy over a good looking poor guy any day! Then I could buy a good looking Nite Ch.

Old Post 10-12-2015 03:22 AM
calblu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for calblu Click here to Send calblu a Private Message Click Here to Email calblu Visit calblu's homepage! Find more posts by calblu Add calblu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Bring those dogs with dew claws to my show I will give them a win ,most likely they will have no competition because no one is showing around here anymore,and the ones that do well thats another subject lol

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 10-12-2015 03:54 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
calblu
UKC Forum Member

On a sidenote, a dog being shown with a disqualifying fault is supposed to be written up by the judge and that information sent to UKC. If there are judges who are dq'ing dogs for things that aren't dqs as listed in the standard, I'd think it would come to UKC's attention pretty quickly and they'd be in contact with that judge.

Old Post 10-12-2015 06:17 PM
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

wjoey, so breed standards mean nothing to you. It may not be a DQ that's reported to UKC, but that dog does not meet the standards for that breed. Again since my dogs aren't comp dogs if I bring them to your hunt will you give me a first place so I can make them a nite champion.

Old Post 10-12-2015 07:17 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Breed Standards describe the "ideal" dog. As we all know, there aren't very many "ideal" dogs. Any dog that doesn't have a disqualifying fault fits the breed standard even if it is not ideal. Mr Allen as long as your dog can tree a coon, then he has the opportunity to win first place if he is the only dog there. But, not being able to tree a coon is a disqualifying fault in a night hunt.

Old Post 10-13-2015 04:25 PM