UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rear dew claws in bench show?
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HaleyCreasman
UKC Forum Member

Not a disqualification, but not ideal.
Simply put, if you have two dogs of equal or close conformation/standard, but one has rear dew claws and one doesn't, the win is going to go to the one that doesn't have them.
You shouldn't have been disqualified for it, but as inexpensive as it is it would be easier to just have them removed.

-2015 English Days Puppy Class Winner Thurs. & Fri.
-2015 UKC Shriner's Hospital Benefit BMOS

CH 'PR' Taylor Made Thundering Magic [ENG] "Molly"
||BIMBS RBIMBS CCH CH 'PR' Whiterock Mountain Red Ruger x GRCH 'PR' Hill's Little Dolly - co-owned with Lesa Watson||
-2015 TN Youth State Championship BFOB
-2015 UKC RQE BFOS

'PR' Thunderstruck "Grace" O'Malley [ENG]
||GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Spanky's Hillbilly Stinger x CH 'PR' Thompson's Hillbilly Carrie||
CH 'PR' Thunderstruck "Jewel" Weed [Plott]
||Bias Bred||
'PR' Thunderstruck Rittercruz "Ivy" & 'PR' Thunderstruck Fistful Of Dollars "Joe" [Plott littermates]
||AKC CGCH GCH CH UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' C-Cruz Mob Boss Vito's Gotcha x AKC CH UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' County Line Eleanor||
GRCH Thunderstruck Silver "Nugget" [ALH]
||GRNITECH GRCH Stampede's Camo Dazzle x GRCH By Faith Blessed Assurance||
-2015 Grand American BMOB
-2015 Winter Classic Senior Class Winner
-2015 Winter Classic Overall High Scoring ALH Male
-2015 SETWD BMOB, Fri. & Sat.
-2015 Macon Co. CHA Benefit BMOS, Sat.
-2015 Peach Classic CH Male, Fri. & Sat.
-2015 Peach Classic Overall High Scoring ALH
-2015 Plott Sectional CH Male
-2015 UKC RQE CH Male
-2015 English Days Overall High Scoring ALH
-2015 PlottFest CH Male
-2015 WNC Houndsmen GRCH Male
-2015 Shriner's Hospital Benefit GRCH Male

Thunderstruck A Holy Terror [ALH] "Cas"
||GRCH GRNITECH By Faith Coat Of Many Colors HTX x CH Striker's Bawlin' Blitz||
Thunderstruck H&A's Indigo Skies [ALH] "Sky"
||WSHOWCH CCH GRCH Elburn's Indigo x R&A's Lilly Of The Valley - Co-owned with Adena Fussnecker||
'PR' Thunderstruck Super "Fly" [ALH]
||Gurley Creek Buddy x Gurley Creek Half Stack Susie||

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-08-2015 06:15 PM
HaleyCreasman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HaleyCreasman Click here to Send HaleyCreasman a Private Message Click Here to Email HaleyCreasman Visit HaleyCreasman's homepage! Find more posts by HaleyCreasman Add HaleyCreasman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
But what if they do DQ them. Then what????
Then he won't have to ask why a dog with a 3/8 over bite is a champion. He was concerned why a dog with an over bite could be a champion. If any dog has a defect so severe that a qualified judge would ask how it got to be champion, it should be disqualified. What's the point in letting the dog continue to compete?

Old Post 10-08-2015 07:27 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

This post

Lol, funny

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 10-08-2015 09:34 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I reread this whole thread and I didn't see anything funny. And I've got a great sense of humor.

Old Post 10-08-2015 10:47 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Go back and read

Your responses. That's where I'm finding the humor!

Old Post 10-08-2015 11:23 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

So you obviously think every registered dog should be a bench champion.

Old Post 10-09-2015 12:43 AM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Bench champions

No I do not think that at all. Especially if they have a Disqualifying trait. I actually feel a hound should compete in the field, complete a 2 hour hunt, finish with plus points to be able to show. I know that will start a discussion but remember it's jmo...

Last edited by MIKE CARDER on 10-09-2015 at 01:03 AM

Old Post 10-09-2015 01:00 AM
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Had the same deal happen to me. In fact there was a dog with a bad bite there also. But the dogs teeth did touch, I looked myself( I am also a BS judge). There were only 2 females at the show and the BSJ DQ'ed both of us. I showed the judge the breed standards where it was not a DQ for my BNT having rear dew claws. I the time I think it said "free of rear dew claws". She flipped out on me. I called UKC they told me to write a letter to them with all the info that they would put it on her record if they get 2 or 3 letters on the same judge they will review them and can pull there BS lic. They did in fact already have a letter for the very judge I had issues with.

Old Post 10-09-2015 03:00 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Had the same deal happen to me. In fact there was a dog with a bad bite there also. But the dogs teeth did touch, I looked myself( I am also a BS judge). There were only 2 females at the show and the BSJ DQ'ed both of us. I showed the judge the breed standards where it was not a DQ for my BNT having rear dew claws. I the time I think it said "free of rear dew claws". She flipped out on me. I called UKC they told me to write a letter to them with all the info that they would put it on her record if they get 2 or 3 letters on the same judge they will review them and can pull there BS lic. They did in fact already have a letter for the very judge I had issues with.
Exactly what did "free of rear dewclaws" mean to you? Your dog shouldn't have had to be DQed because it shouldn't have been entered.

Old Post 10-09-2015 03:15 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Exactly what did "free of rear dewclaws" mean to you? Your dog shouldn't have had to be DQed because it shouldn't have been entered.

But then again we have established have the dew claws is not a DQ offense but then there a people like yourself that make the rules up instead of knowing them.

Old Post 10-09-2015 03:34 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
But then again we have established have the dew claws is not a DQ offense but then there a people like yourself that make the rules up instead of knowing them.
I didn't make up anything but I know how to read. There is no degree of having dewclaws. This is not a judgement thing. It's black and white. You might have "established" it's not a DQ offense but, until the wording is changed it is a DQ offense.

Old Post 10-09-2015 03:45 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Question

Well show me in the rules where it says Disqualified for having them. Show me? Oh that's right it don't say that. But it does say it for several other traits. So if it doesn't say it, you are just making the rules up as you go along.

Old Post 10-09-2015 04:06 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
Well show me in the rules where it says Disqualified for having them. Show me? Oh that's right it don't say that. But it does say it for several other traits. So if it doesn't say it, you are just making the rules up as you go along.
If a dog has dewclaws he doesn't meet breed standards. It's really not that complicated. It doesn't say dewclaws may be removed or even should be removed. It says dewclaws removed. You may not want to DQ him but, he can never win a show, so why would you enter him? Nowhere in the rules does it say a dog with one eye in the middle of his head is DQed but.................

Old Post 10-09-2015 04:17 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Read slowly

There are several reasons a hound is DQ'd having dewclaws is not one of them. Until it is written then its not. So what YOU are saying is if a hound does not meet the breed standards, judgment, or not they can not be shown. Ears, coat, height, eyes, tail, chest, back, hindquarters, feet? Unless you are picking just one thing. Which that's what it sounds like. I don't agree they should not have them, but until they do change it. Or UKC changes its stance they can't be DQ.

Old Post 10-09-2015 04:26 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

So you would award a dog with dewclaws a win even though the rules say no dewclaws?

Old Post 10-09-2015 04:36 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Yes

If that was the only Non-disqualifying fault and were the overall best hound. If you wouldn't then you shouldn't be a judge.

Old Post 10-09-2015 04:59 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Showing a dog with dew claws is like taking the ugliest girl in school to the senior prom yea you could do it but why would you !!

Old Post 10-09-2015 05:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

I totally agree

I agree they shouldn't have them, but until its a disqualification then its okay. A hound shouldn't have them. But some do and some bitches always throw pups that do. But just clip them off and move on. My thing is people just making rules as they go.

Old Post 10-09-2015 05:37 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

UKC. Its friday. We need a answer here. Dont be afraid.

Old Post 10-09-2015 06:12 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Breed standards

So let me ask this, if a hound does not meet the breed standards, should you be able to hunt it?

Old Post 10-09-2015 06:23 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I am not going to put words in anybody's mouth been doing this a long time. Some people have really talented dogs they put in the night hunts usually they title really fast some maybe just ok dogs but either they just like them or that's all they can afford but they keep participating in the hunts and sooner or later Lady Luck smiles on them and they get their wins !! So as far as the bench some dogs just finish really quickly some just struggle to get they're wins but the important thing is not to discourage anybody from participating if somebody's dog has a major fault I just don't give them the win and later away from everybody I usually explain why because if you don't they might not even know why they are loosing when I get beat I just take it like a man and go to the next one sooner or later I will get my win !!

Old Post 10-09-2015 06:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
UKC. Its friday. We need a answer here. Dont be afraid.

Afraid? Just letting everyone have a friendly discussion.

I vote not a DQ. It's an interesting part of the breed standard to me because by saying they should be removed acknowledges that it's not uncommon for the breed to have them. It's almost like whoever drafted the standard was simply recommending they be removed so working dogs did not become injured. (Plus they are just plain ugly)

But yeah the standard calls for no dew claws just like it calls for a broad skull and a tail without flag. That doesn't mean they are DQ if they have faults unless the fault is specifically listed as a disqualifying fault.

Last edited by Todd K / UKC on 10-09-2015 at 07:06 PM

Old Post 10-09-2015 06:58 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

I don't show dogs but found this thread interesting. I read it probably 3 times and I still don't know if dew claws are allowed or not. lol

I'll ask my bench show judge buddies.

Old Post 10-09-2015 07:04 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
I don't show dogs but found this thread interesting. I read it probably 3 times and I still don't know if dew claws are allowed or not. lol

I'll ask my bench show judge buddies.

I'll make it as simple as humanly possible for you Champ..... lol.

Yes, a Treeing Walker with dewclaws is allowed to be shown in a show.

However, know that the judge will likely consider it when making his or her selections.

That puts you out, right? lol.

Old Post 10-09-2015 08:40 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

So in other words. It IS NOT a disqualifying fault.

Old Post 10-09-2015 08:52 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote