UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rear dew claws in bench show?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

Rear dew claws in bench show?

Can a treeing walker with rear dew claws be shown in a bench show or will it to be disqualified? I'd like Ukc's answer on this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2015 06:21 PM
Bigsmo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigsmo Click here to Send Bigsmo a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigsmo Find more posts by Bigsmo Add Bigsmo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

I've looked in the rule book and not seen where it's a disqualifying factor

Old Post 10-05-2015 06:33 PM
Bigsmo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigsmo Click here to Send Bigsmo a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigsmo Find more posts by Bigsmo Add Bigsmo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muddymike55
UKC Forum Member

is this the real big smo??? just wonderin!

Old Post 10-05-2015 07:09 PM
muddymike55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muddymike55 Click here to Send muddymike55 a Private Message Click Here to Email muddymike55 Find more posts by muddymike55 Add muddymike55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
imacorgimom
UKC Forum Member

If it's a dq, it will be in the breed standard.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Bree...onhound01012011

It says when describing hindquarters, "dewclaws removed", but it is not an eliminating fault or a disqualification.

Home to a bunch of short dogs who occasionally allow me the honor of holding the other end of their leads!

Last edited by imacorgimom on 10-05-2015 at 08:07 PM

Old Post 10-05-2015 07:55 PM
imacorgimom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for imacorgimom Click here to Send imacorgimom a Private Message Click Here to Email imacorgimom Visit imacorgimom's homepage! Find more posts by imacorgimom Add imacorgimom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rear dew claws in bench show?

quote:
Originally posted by Bigsmo
Can a treeing walker with rear dew claws be shown in a bench show or will it to be disqualified? I'd like Ukc's answer on this.
Look. Under hindquarters,,,it says dewclaws removed

Old Post 10-05-2015 10:13 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Lol I'm sure the real big smo wouldn't be on the ukc forum. Funny tho cause me and the wife passed his bus that had big smo written on the side in either Ohio or Indiana on our way to world couple weekends ago.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 10-05-2015 10:26 PM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muddymike55
UKC Forum Member

You ever heard his music Kenny? I actually kinda like it but I'm different lol

Old Post 10-05-2015 11:34 PM
muddymike55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muddymike55 Click here to Send muddymike55 a Private Message Click Here to Email muddymike55 Find more posts by muddymike55 Add muddymike55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

Wish ukc. would come on here and make an official ruling on it... it also has other standards about feet, tail, coat, dew claws, ears. .etc... only thing it says under disqualifications are undershot or overshot, Unilateral or bilateral. Cryptorchid, Viciousness. Or extreme shyness, Albinism. Deaf. Or blind... my dog would of won best of show ..was the best dog by a landslide, but was denied because of rear dew claws.and was told he could never be showed at the club again!!

Old Post 10-06-2015 01:01 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by imacorgimom
If it's a dq, it will be in the breed standard.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Bree...onhound01012011

It says when describing hindquarters, "dewclaws removed", but it is not an eliminating fault or a disqualification.

Exactly what part of "dewclaws removed" do you not understand?

Old Post 10-06-2015 01:56 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

So what you saying is if they have Dewclaws they are DQ'd. Since it also says under feet compact and well padded, with a cat-like appearance. Toes are well arched with strong nails" they are DQd if its not like that.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:12 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

My vet removes them for $60 that's the route I would go !

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
So what you saying is if they have Dewclaws they are DQ'd. Since it also says under feet compact and well padded, with a cat-like appearance. Toes are well arched with strong nails" they are DQd if its not like that.
"Well padded cat-like" is subjective. "Dewclaws removed" is direct. No one would say, 'Well his dew claws are slightly removed". '.

Old Post 10-06-2015 02:21 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

No sir I was talking about a show in Florida... never attended a show in Mars hill

Old Post 10-06-2015 04:50 PM
David Webb
UKC Forum Member

Apology

Sorry for hijacking on your thread

Grand Night Tight as a Cord

Old Post 10-06-2015 06:46 PM
David Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Webb Click here to Send David Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email David Webb Find more posts by David Webb Add David Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

After extensive research I have found out that a treeing walker can not be disqualified for rear dew claws in a show. I believe a lot of the show judges need to know the correct rules before judging a show. Cheating someone out of a win at a show is no different than falsifying a score card and their show license should be revoked especially the ones in Florida and Texas. ....or anywhere for that matter!!! Thank you have a nice day!!! :-)

Old Post 10-07-2015 04:15 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Information?

Where are you getting this info. Post it, I agree but unless you show in black and white some won't believe.

Old Post 10-07-2015 05:18 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
imacorgimom
UKC Forum Member

It's all in the breed standard.

Home to a bunch of short dogs who occasionally allow me the honor of holding the other end of their leads!

Old Post 10-07-2015 06:23 PM
imacorgimom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for imacorgimom Click here to Send imacorgimom a Private Message Click Here to Email imacorgimom Visit imacorgimom's homepage! Find more posts by imacorgimom Add imacorgimom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigsmo
UKC Forum Member

I just got off the phone with a lady from the ukc office and she said a treeing walker having rear dew claws was NOT a disqualifying factor and that the judges that do so needs to reread the rule book. So if anyone says or thinks differently needs to read the rule book or even better call ukc themselves as I done.

Mike Hopkins
$Backwoods treeing walkers$

Old Post 10-07-2015 06:39 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Well I guess HE understands and interprets them just fine. You?

Old Post 10-07-2015 09:16 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I still understand "dewclaws removed" as dewclaws removed. Please give me your definition.

Old Post 10-07-2015 09:22 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Dew claws removed

Is NOT a disqualifying trait, (by having them)but rather just a point deduction. If it was disqualifying then it would list it. I hope this helps?

The problem I see here is the fact that some judges judge one way and other judges another. Its hard because we are human and see things differently. I was judging a beagle bench show down in Ky back in 2003 once and got to the Champions and this female had I would say 3/8" over bite, A Champion!!! Why? Well I put it in the show packet and sent it in. Heck she was put together great except that. But the real problem was the previous judges just did what they wanted and did not point it out. Attend the seminars, learn the standards, not just for one breed but all. And for everyone's sake don't say you know when you don't. Never hurts to be humble, I think it makes you smarter..

Old Post 10-07-2015 09:37 PM
DFred
UKC Forum Member

"Breeders and judges have the responsibility to avoid any conditions or exaggerations that are detrimental to the health, welfare, essence and soundness of this breed, and must take the responsibility to see that these are not perpetuated."

I'm not saying that dew claws are a fault. If the standard says they should be removed then obviously they are a health, welfare, essence, or soundness concern. With that said how can this "fault" NOT be perpetuated by cutting them of. They cant, the only way to get rid of dew claws, is to not breed dogs with dew claws. Therefore if they are to not be perpetuated then, according to the standard, dogs with dew claws should be disqualified.

Old Post 10-07-2015 09:38 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dew claws removed

[QUOTE][i]
. I was judging a beagle bench show down in Ky back in 2003 once and got to the Champions and this female had I would say 3/8" over bite, A Champion!!! Why? Maybe she was only shown against dogs with 1/2" over bites and nobody would DQ them.

Old Post 10-07-2015 10:32 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Post the name at U K C

Bigsmo! would you please post the name of the person you talked to they won't care.

Old Post 10-08-2015 03:39 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

But what if they do DQ them. Then what????

Old Post 10-08-2015 04:44 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote