UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Anybody ever fed a raw diet????
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SOUTHERNSTYLE
UKC Forum Member

Anybody ever fed a raw diet????

What are the pros and cons to feeding a raw diet??

TRAIN EM ALONE!

PKC CH GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' MIDNIGHT FLY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-22-2016 03:49 PM
SOUTHERNSTYLE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SOUTHERNSTYLE Click here to Send SOUTHERNSTYLE a Private Message Click Here to Email SOUTHERNSTYLE Find more posts by SOUTHERNSTYLE Add SOUTHERNSTYLE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Littletown
UKC Forum Member

You might want to google "raw feeding for dogs", or "pros and cons of feeding raw food to dogs", etc.

You will spend HOURS with all of the information out there on this topic, and there are also Facebook pages about feeding raw to dogs - also called a "species-appropriate diet". Any specific question you have will probably have MANY answers to it, because there are so many different ways that people have found to do this, & some do it very well.

Whatever you decide to do about feeding your dog, please research the topic DILIGENTLY, before you actually make any changes. Otherwise, you may end up with vitamin & mineral deficiencies, and even worse. I have watched several of my breeder-friends go from commercial kibble to feeding raw; some did it carefully, with good results. But others failed miserably, and eventually went back to feeding kibble.

Good luck; let us know what you end up doing...

Old Post 05-22-2016 04:39 PM
Littletown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Littletown Click here to Send Littletown a Private Message Click Here to Email Littletown Find more posts by Littletown Add Littletown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Cost is the number 1 con.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-22-2016 04:55 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

It can b done very economical.
Ur ethnic (Asian) markets r where u will find "raw" appropriate diet food.

U name it they got it..... brains, giblets, spleen, tendons, etc .
I live in Michigan. But travel to Milwaukee once a month, I stock up $40-50.....worth of what I call organ meat, is what it cost me.

Old Post 05-22-2016 06:58 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

My buddy feeds mostly meat scraps and bones from o local abbittoir. Littetally fills his truck for free takes it home sorts it and freezes it.

Been feeding his dogs for free for years and they look fine.

Old Post 05-22-2016 07:36 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jap's cr kennel
UKC Forum Member

I know a deer processor I take all the scraps I was told by a vet to feed some dry food every once in a while cause in the wild dogs wolves etc also get nutrients from for and intestines from what the animal ate so I buy cheap dog food and give the some every couple days kennel clean up is nice less waste

Old Post 05-22-2016 11:39 PM
jap's cr kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jap's cr kennel Click here to Send jap's cr kennel a Private Message Find more posts by jap's cr kennel Add jap's cr kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenny Paul
UKC Forum Member

I only feed mine chickens. Get them from farmers that pick them up outta their chicken houses, dogs love it and it helps farmers get rid of them

Old Post 05-23-2016 01:50 AM
Kenny Paul is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny Paul Click here to Send Kenny Paul a Private Message Find more posts by Kenny Paul Add Kenny Paul to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Winter a yr ago was a particularly rough one. I got some bulk chicken quarters for 59 cents a lb. Could buy it in 40 lb cases. I got 160 lbs for under $100. Put 3-4 pieces to a bag and in the freezer. Fed us for a yr whenever we wanted chicken plus the dogs.

Got a 20 lb bag of rice at Walmart for 7 or 8 bucks don't remember, still got a 1/4 bag left. I'd cook up enough rice for a week and mix in sweet potatoes and a bag of frozen vegetables and feed with chicken. Fed that mixed with a little dog food. Was cheap enough and dogs did good on it, but kinda a pain.

I'm trying a different route now that's a lot less work and from all I can find on it is excellent for dogs. I'll let you know in a month or 2 if it's working out.

Old Post 05-23-2016 03:19 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

muskrats,,,,thats right muskrats.years ago when there was a good fur market,i would go to a fur buyer close to me and he would save the fresh muskrats that he skinned and i would stack them in a deep freeze that was outside in a shed.place a rat then a piece of wax paper.stack them like cord wood.every day i would throw a rat in my dog pen and thats all i fed till i ran out of rats.my dogs were as healthy as could be.

Old Post 05-23-2016 03:20 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Original
UKC Forum Member

Yes and my dog's looked great. I stopped due to our traveling with them and it's hard to pack and keep a week or more frozen when you don't have a freezer. I got mine from a local pet food supplier. Cost me on average $0.35 a lb. My hounds ate about 2lbs a day.
You wand to feed 2-3% of their ideal body weight but like with commercial dog food every dog is different. Make sure you understand what is needed to make it a healthy diet. They should be getting about 80% meat, 10% organ (no more than 5% liver) and 10% raw bones and no more than 50% of their diet should be one protien.
I fed about 20% venison, 20% beef, 10% salmon, 30% chicken necks or backs, 10% turkey mix, 5% liver and 5% other organ. I also added tripe as it aids in digestion. The bone will help keep the poop solid and offer calcium. If the poop comes out white, you need to feed less bone, if it's not as solid as you'd like, feed more.

I found that the dogs had less poop, the poop didn't stink, and it'd crumble and disintegrate after a day or two. There are many pros but one con is the amount of time it takes to portion out the meals. I spent a good 3-5 hours every few weeks just rationing out the food, and it took 2 days for my 50lb blocks of meat to thaw and in the winter I had to bring it in the house and the place I got our meat from got their meat from usda plants, meaning the meat was not fit for human consumption and had to be "denatured" before it could leave the plant. Most was denatured with a red dye but the beef was with charcoal and it made it stink to high heaven. At first I'd rinse it off but it seemed to have no ill side effects on the dogs so I stopped.

I also would talk to taxidermists and got a LOT of meat from them. Just make sure you freeze any wild game for 6 weeks or more to kill off any parasites that they may have.

Good luck with this if you try it, it's definitely a great option if you have the time. There are many Facebook groups dedicated to this and most people are very helpful.

Last edited by The Original on 05-24-2016 at 01:23 AM

Old Post 05-23-2016 04:18 PM
The Original is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Original Click here to Send The Original a Private Message Find more posts by The Original Add The Original to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chainsaw
UKC Forum Member

Deer meat

I get a freezer full of deer meat from a local processor for free hes happy to have it out of his way . I boil it in a turkey fryer just to be safe .but I couldn't count the times I have seen a dog eating a dead deer and not had any problems . biggest con I have seen it takes a little more time I did the math on it last year saved 327.21 in one years time .that was buying propane to boil in so raw would save more $$$$.

Old Post 05-24-2016 01:22 AM
chainsaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chainsaw Click here to Send chainsaw a Private Message Click Here to Email chainsaw Find more posts by chainsaw Add chainsaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote