UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many divorce's?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
greenfrog
UKC Forum Member

How many divorce's?

Just wondering how many guys have been divorced over their dogs and coonhunting? I was married to a good women once and I use to hunt 3 to 5 nights a week,every week. She gave me fair warning that if I didn't start staying home and take her places she was going to leave. Well I kept hunting because of my addiction to a good hound and coonhunting. She left as she said she would and that was 35 years ago. Since then I've been married to a couple sorry one's. A good wife is harder to find than a good hound.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-20-2016 03:24 AM
greenfrog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenfrog Click here to Send greenfrog a Private Message Click Here to Email greenfrog Find more posts by greenfrog Add greenfrog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAT Mafia
UKC Forum Member

I am lucky mine never bats an eye and is into the hounds around the house. She has put up with me 20 years now.

Old Post 05-20-2016 04:41 AM
RAT Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RAT Mafia Click here to Send RAT Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email RAT Mafia Find more posts by RAT Mafia Add RAT Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Married once 37 years ago; still have her and still love her. I lucked out and got a great one.

Had one dog get eaten up by some stray dogs and spent 3 years under vet care (3 times a week for over a year). She told the vet that she would pick up extra shifts at work if need be to pay the bill.

Old Post 05-20-2016 06:42 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fcblackandtans
UKC Forum Member

Wife

Has she got a sister billy?😂

Old Post 05-20-2016 11:54 AM
fcblackandtans is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fcblackandtans Click here to Send fcblackandtans a Private Message Find more posts by fcblackandtans Add fcblackandtans to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Married for 39 years now......I'm up north (Mi.) and SHE'S back at home looking after my hounds & a litter of pups.
Man.....GOD has blessed me......! NEVER BEEN divorced
dogs ain't worth it !
But I have seen @least 5 of my coonhunting friends get a "D".

Old Post 05-20-2016 12:03 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

A man will devot his time, in the area that's more important too him!
Before I gave my heart too Jesus christ I hunted 6-7 nights a week!
I would leave my young wife at home crying 😖but GOD has gave my a new heart! Wife is more important than the hounds!

Old Post 05-20-2016 01:54 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

I never got into the mindset that dogs were worth all other costs. But if you would ask my wife of near 24 yrs she would probably tell you dogs is the least of my faults she puts up with. Ha.

Old Post 05-20-2016 02:20 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Fcblackandtans, yes she has two sisters but both are also happily married. God and my family both come before coon hunting, always have and hopefully always will.

Old Post 05-20-2016 02:44 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

PICKED A GOOD ONE

Beem married for over 53 years and go hunting anytime I please. CHOOSE WISELY MY FRIEND then you to can have the best of both worlds.

Old Post 05-20-2016 03:22 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

Mine absolutely never has a problem with me coon hunting. I think she sees it as good clean fun, better than me setting in a bar somewhere but I don't let hunting get in the way of family either. If she wants me to go somewhere or something needs done I just don't hunt that night.

Old Post 05-20-2016 03:41 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan J
UKC Forum Member

Winning is costly. I'm on my third one. Hunting takes over me and believe me I tried to quit. I cant do it. I only hunt 3 to 4 nights a week now. But, it's hard to stay home. I learned my lessen the HARD way. its $1500 a month plus insurance now that reminds me buddy you better slow down.

Old Post 05-20-2016 03:53 PM
Ryan J is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan J Click here to Send Ryan J a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan J Find more posts by Ryan J Add Ryan J to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I've been married 42 years but have hunted only the past 15. when my wife is feeling ok my hunting is ok. if she's in a bad way, nothing I do is ok. after all this time i'm still trying to figure it out. I've been in marriage counseling for the past year. not sure it helps or not. as a Christian it's for better or worse, especially at my age.

Old Post 05-20-2016 05:35 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Life is about balance and limits, the sooner you learn it the better you are. If you want to be a dedicated 5 night a week coonhunter, dont' get married.....seems simple, but so many people expect a woman to just sit home and wait while they are out tromping the woods to all hours of the night.....9/10 in 2016 it just doesn't work.

Reverse the situation and see how you would like sitting home while you wife was out 5 nights a week.....I bet most of us would find "something" to occupy our time also.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 05-20-2016 05:49 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Good post Ron. It took me til I was 40 to find that balance. Takes a special kinda woman to put up with a chronic coon hunter.

Old Post 05-20-2016 05:59 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How many coonhunters are out in the woods because they are happier there than they are at home? Staying at home is not going to "fix" that. Getting a new wife that you are happier with at home will usually will "fix" that. If you are going to coon hunt "a lot" then you had better find a wife that is happy with herself and enjoys her own company. If it takes someone else to "please" her or she is not happy by herself then it isn't going to work. And a good wife sure is hard to find but you don't have to stay at home to please a "good" wife.
You need to convince your wife that she is a member of the "team" and include her. My wife loves "our" dogs. She always wants to know how they did and how our hunt went. She thinks that it is her job/responsibility to take care of them and my job/responsibility to hunt/train them. I just wish that we could reach that "balance" where I hunted the dogs 3 nights a week while she stayed home and rested and then she hunted the dogs 3 nights a week while I stayed home and rested.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 05-20-2016 at 06:42 PM

Old Post 05-20-2016 06:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I have been married 20 years, I can go when ever I want and she doesn't bother me. Every once in a while I over step the line and she gets after me, but that's normally when I'm coonhunting 4 or 5 times a week. Running rabbit dogs 4 mornings a week and trying to slip some fishing in between. So I cant blame her.

I have known 3 different guys that were divorced over coon hunting and all three quite hunting after they got divorced.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-20-2016 06:40 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

20 years of marriage and wife has no issues with my hunting. She knew about it before we ever married. When you give glory to god everything else falls in place

Old Post 05-21-2016 02:59 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

Been married 36 years and no issues. The wife knew I hunted and approves of me hunting. If you live right and treat them right it will not be an issue, get them involved!

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 05-21-2016 03:16 AM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Balance it.

I'm on my first marriage of 24 years. You better balance it the best you can. I have to back off from hunting and stay home a few nights now and then to keep her halfway at piece with it. I've seen several divorces happen over Men hunting too much. I tried to warn some of them to stay home from time to time and keep the wife happy, they'd say oh she doesn't mind me hunting. I'm glad mine always let me know when enough was enough. Because some of them don't say much and boom they are gone.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 05-21-2016 05:29 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdcooner
UKC Forum Member

Any other "young" guys getting slack over hunting 4-5 nights a week? I'm 30 and been married for 4 years now. We've got a 2.5 yr old daughter and 4 month-old son and I know I have been hitting it hard right now, but I feel like I've got a really good dog and am tuning him up for some hunts. I just got told tonight that I need to be home more. She's a stay at home mom and we live on an acreage so she's with just our children all day and for the most part I'm her only adult interaction. On top of that i work 10 plus hours a day so I am gone a lot. I do make it a point that I do not leave to go hunting until the kids are asleep for the night. But I am trying to learn how to balance it out, she wants a few nights a week to work in her garden and I know I need to give her that. But man is it tough when you have a good hound and a guy gets the itch to hunt every night, honestly I'd hunt every night of the week if I could. She's ok with 3 sometimes 4 nights a week, but sometimes that doesn't feel like I'm doing my hound justice. I'm just a young guy that truly loves 3 things, my wife, my children, and my hounds.

Old Post 05-21-2016 05:44 AM
fdcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fdcooner Click here to Send fdcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email fdcooner Find more posts by fdcooner Add fdcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chainsaw
UKC Forum Member

Divorce

My first wife never had any interest in hounds she went with me a time or two when we were dating that marriage ended but it wasn't due to hunting that's another story. After that I dated some nice ladys and always took them on a coon hunt for the most part they enjoyed going on a different kind of date anyone can take a woman to dinner and a movie. I'm about to get married again and she loves the hounds and hunting.she has her own hobbies and I support her in them.

To the young guy getting told he needs to stay home more.try to think of ways to get the hole family involved in it.if she doesn't want anything to do with the hounds you can't make them like it.but a walk with the hounds AND the Family will mean more in the long run then all the grnite dogs in the world.just some advice from a divorced guy...

P.s when the hunting is slow or the young dog is acting like a idot it's nice to have something pretty to look at

Old Post 05-21-2016 07:36 AM
chainsaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chainsaw Click here to Send chainsaw a Private Message Click Here to Email chainsaw Find more posts by chainsaw Add chainsaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by fdcooner
Any other "young" guys getting slack over hunting 4-5 nights a week? I'm 30 and been married for 4 years now. We've got a 2.5 yr old daughter and 4 month-old son and I know I have been hitting it hard right now, but I feel like I've got a really good dog and am tuning him up for some hunts. I just got told tonight that I need to be home more. She's a stay at home mom and we live on an acreage so she's with just our children all day and for the most part I'm her only adult interaction. On top of that i work 10 plus hours a day so I am gone a lot. I do make it a point that I do not leave to go hunting until the kids are asleep for the night. But I am trying to learn how to balance it out, she wants a few nights a week to work in her garden and I know I need to give her that. But man is it tough when you have a good hound and a guy gets the itch to hunt every night, honestly I'd hunt every night of the week if I could. She's ok with 3 sometimes 4 nights a week, but sometimes that doesn't feel like I'm doing my hound justice. I'm just a young guy that truly loves 3 things, my wife, my children, and my hounds.
what's more important a good hound, a good loving wife and kids? Our wife's don't want too be second!

Old Post 05-21-2016 02:19 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fdcooner
UKC Forum Member

Re: Divorce

To the young guy getting told he needs to stay home more.try to think of ways to get the hole family involved in it.if she doesn't want anything to do with the hounds you can't make them like it.but a walk with the hounds AND the Family will mean more in the long run then all the grnite dogs in the world.just some advice from a divorced guy...

P.s when the hunting is slow or the young dog is acting like a idot it's nice to have something pretty to look at [/B][/QUOTE]

My wife doesnt have much interest in the hunting aspect of it but she does love dogs as much as I do and will help take care of them. Every night when i get home my 2.5 year old daughter helps me feed the dogs and clean the pens, she loves doing it and insist on carry the bucket of feed, she demands i let her carry it. Its part of our routine now and I love that she wants to help. We also take the dogs for walks on our gravel road we live on to help get us all out together. I know i have a great wife, she pretty much lets me do as I please, i just am having a hard time adjusting to the being reined in part, we were together for 4 years before we married and had children and did what we wanted when we wanted and she never complained when i was gone and i never did when she was gone. BUT now we have children and i love them to death, and the more I think about it the more i realize what Ive missed out on with the kids. And i am learning how wrong of me it is to have moved her out in the middle of no where and hour from her family and she have no adult interaction all day while im working 10 hour days 6 days a week then i leave around 830 when i get the kids to bed and leave her alone even more. We discussed a give and take last night where i hunt 3 nights a week and can leave 2 weekends a month to go to hunts out of area and over night. I'd say shes being more than fair and thats what it is now. Shes a beautiful woman that deals with a lot of crap from me, time for me to stop being so selfish. A good hound doesnt replace a good woman.

Old Post 05-21-2016 03:47 PM
fdcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fdcooner Click here to Send fdcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email fdcooner Find more posts by fdcooner Add fdcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

HAPPYLY COONHUNTTIN FOR 35 YEARS

I WAS 25 MY WIFE WAS 18 WHEN I STARTED GOIN WITH HER,SHE WAS A COUNTRY GIRL GUNS,DOGS AND HUNTIN WAS HER THING ,I FIRST ASKED HER TO GO OUT WITH ME I ASKED HER TO GO SHOOT TRAP WITH ME ,SHE SAID YEA ,THAT WOULD BE FUN.WHEN WE GOT TO THE TRAP RANGE SHE PULLED A BENNILI SUPER TRAP TRAP GUN OUT OF HER GUN CASE ,,{I KNEW I WAS IN TROUBLE ,,SHE RAN 38 TARGETS STRAIGHT WITHOUT A MISS. THAT STARTED IT ALL ,SHE LOVES TO DEER BOW HUNT SHE DONT COON HUNT AS MUCH WITH ME MUCH BUT I CANT KEEP HER OUT OF HER DEER STAND ..SHE WAS A KEEPER ! AND I LOVE HER MORE NOW THAN EVER BEFORE ,,AND WHEN I ASKED JESUS CHRIST INTO MY LIFE IT EVEN GOT BETTER,,HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,,RON

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 05-21-2016 04:11 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plastic
UKC Forum Member

My wife rides to woods with me

OUTLAWS HICKORY

Old Post 05-21-2016 07:33 PM
plastic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plastic Click here to Send plastic a Private Message Find more posts by plastic Add plastic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote