UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question about thyroid and heat cycles
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

Question about thyroid and heat cycles

I was wondering if low thyroid would cause a female to either not come in heat or just really screw up when she cycles?

I have not had her thyroid checked yet but she used to be regular every six months but now she hasn't been in for at least a year.

Thanks.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2016 01:46 AM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid issues will sometimes effect there heat cycles

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 05-24-2016 01:55 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question about thyroid and heat cycles

quote:
Originally posted by Pastor Mike
I was wondering if low thyroid would cause a female to either not come in heat or just really screw up when she cycles?

I have not had her thyroid checked yet but she used to be regular every six months but now she hasn't been in for at least a year.

Thanks.

JMO
Low Thyroid level effects about everything in a hound.Got 2 that are on Thyroid pills{2x a day}
Life changing results......once problem was diagnosed and level brought up to 2.5-3.0 range.

Old Post 05-24-2016 08:34 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Absolutely will have an affect!

I've got a female that has a belly full of pups right now. Before taking regular meds, her heat cycle was wacky & irregular. Since taking meds, regular timing on cycles with regular heat symptoms.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 05-24-2016 08:46 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

Thanks. What symptoms caused you guys to go and get their thyroid checked?

RIP

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 05-25-2016 01:19 AM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

Mike,

It has been my experience that the older they get the more they need to be medicated if they are hypothyroid in order to maintain a regular heat cycle. It may not be as noticeable in a younger female. They might vary a month or two one way or the other but they usually won't start skipping cycles until they get a little older. The good news is that usually after medicating them it seems like they become much more regular.

Like many things, the degree to which you see symptoms will vary from dog to dog according to their thyroid level but also just because all dogs are different.

Telltale signs-

1. Dog does not eat like they used to. They may still eat but will pick at their food.

2. Dog drinks more water than usual

3. Dog acts hotter than usual

4. Dog's coat begins to look dull and hair begins to look wirey/shabby. Some folks say they will loose some hair but I've never seen this.

5. Dog is not as active in the lot as they used to be. They might still be somewhat active but are just not quite theirselves

6. Dog acts strange in the woods.

Dog A- big hunting, deadly accurate hound that is a strong track dog- The dog would get struck but wouldn't finish a track and would just keep on hunting, sometimes 2-3 miles before I rounded it up. If the dog did get treed, it would usually be slick.

Dog B- medium hunter, deadly accurate that is a quick tree dog and average track dog. Started only hunting out about 100-200 yards, stood around, would come back to me, etc. When the dog would start a track and it bogged down would grab a tree. Before I noticed this, the dog was deadly accurate and would hunt out 800 yards- 1/2 mile or so most times.

It seemed like both of their "styles" became exaggerated when they weren't feeling good. The good news is that after treatment, both returned to their normal ways.

Some of these signs will be subtle while sometimes they are very evident. The unfortunate thing is that many of these symptoms are synonymous with tick disease that is so common here where we live. If the vet tells me their panel came back positive for lymes, I request a thyroid panel done also. What I have found is that many vets are quick to diagnose them with tick disease but more apprehensive to test younger dogs for thyroid problems. They are surprised when their thyroid levels come back low. Make sure you request they do a FULL thyroid panel (I think its called a T4 thyroid panel if I remember correctly)

Good luck! It's not really a big deal at all if you think much of the dog which I know that you do. i know how highly you think of your hounds and two pills twice a day in a hotdog is an easy fix to improve the quality of your dogs life and return them to the performance level they were once at. Many folks will tell you not to breed a dog like that but what they don't realize is that many big time, world championship and truck winners are on thyroid meds. It's not a big deal.

Let me know if I can help.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Last edited by deadeye ruck on 05-25-2016 at 02:02 PM

Old Post 05-25-2016 01:53 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Simon. I will give you a call maybe over the weekend.

RIP

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 05-25-2016 06:26 PM