UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ankle Fusion! Anyone had it done?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bruce hammontre
UKC Forum Member

Ankle Fusion! Anyone had it done?

Busted my ankle up near 30 years ago and it has gotten so bad with Arthritis . I got to where i could not hardly hunt the last 2 years so just had it done. been 7 weeks not walking as of yet but soon. If you had it done were you able to get back in the woods without the pain? Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-31-2016 04:00 AM
bruce hammontre is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bruce hammontre Click here to Send bruce hammontre a Private Message Click Here to Email bruce hammontre Find more posts by bruce hammontre Add bruce hammontre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natgear1982
UKC Forum Member

Fusion

Had mine fused in February of last year. Still don't have it lined out. To be honest, it could be worse than when I started. Still hunt, although you pay for it, especially the next day. I've went through orthotics, special shoes, etc... The best thing that has helped me is a brace that is called a figure 8 brace. Really helps me. Hate to admit it but I hunted off the four wheeler and my crutches, lol. Also hunted a cast in a walking boot. Probably not the smartest thing I've done but I'm not good at setting around. My wife finally just started buying more rubber stoppers for my crutches cause I would lose them in the mud.! I get around fine with a limp. The outcome is probably different for everyone. But now I have six screws and a part of my hip in there. Wish you the best of luck. It was rough going through it.

Handsome Cooper

Old Post 03-31-2016 06:15 AM
natgear1982 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natgear1982 Click here to Send natgear1982 a Private Message Find more posts by natgear1982 Add natgear1982 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Bartley
UKC Forum Member

I had my right ankle fused in 1991. I waited until May 2015 to get it redone because the first was was not done correctly. Wish I would have done it 20 years ago. Best thing I did. I can hunt now with no pain and wake up the next day with little to no pain. My advice is to go to the best ankle/foot orthopedic surgeon you can find, someone who worked with world class athletes. Too many others out there who will do this surgery but don't have the be expertise.

Blueticks bred to run to catch and catch what they run!

"Believe in your greatness, honor your greatness, for the sake of ourselves and our children," Howard Glasser

“We are the free and unconquerable people of the United
States of America” - Eleanor Roosevelt, 12/7/1941

Old Post 03-31-2016 03:47 PM
Jim Bartley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Bartley Click here to Send Jim Bartley a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Bartley Find more posts by Jim Bartley Add Jim Bartley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bruce hammontre
UKC Forum Member

I am not alone !

Thanks gentlemen .
The pain after the hunt and during the hunt had gotten so bad i nearly quit? I hope this gets me back in the woods. I did a good bit of hunting by myself and was and am a little nervous about not getting out of the woods.

Old Post 03-31-2016 06:32 PM
bruce hammontre is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bruce hammontre Click here to Send bruce hammontre a Private Message Click Here to Email bruce hammontre Find more posts by bruce hammontre Add bruce hammontre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cowan john
UKC Forum Member

ankle fused

had my ankle fused with 5 screws in 2011 there was lot of pain for about two weeks then slowly got better no weight on ankle at all for 8 weeks and i think my buddies got me out huntings and under a tree about 4 months i walk a lot better but still have some pain but before i could not hunt the pains to bad

Old Post 03-31-2016 09:03 PM
cowan john is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cowan john Click here to Send cowan john a Private Message Click Here to Email cowan john Find more posts by cowan john Add cowan john to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Wife's cousin had it done...he was a big, fat, donut eating cop that got to the point he could hardly walk. Never much walked anyway...he got it done and said if he knew it would work this good he would have never waited. He almost waited too long. From what I see it is best not to wait too long once you are told you need it.

Old Post 04-01-2016 01:28 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natgear1982
UKC Forum Member

One more try!

Laying in the hospital bed after another surgery on my ankle. Hopefully this time it works out better. Took some screws out and added a few more from different angles, even went in the back beside my tendon. Time will tell. Already want it to be over so I can get back in the woods.

Handsome Cooper

Old Post 06-27-2016 08:29 PM
natgear1982 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natgear1982 Click here to Send natgear1982 a Private Message Find more posts by natgear1982 Add natgear1982 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote