UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Dog
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coon Dog

I have coon hunted a long time and been fortunate enough to have owned 3 dogs that I called a COON DOG by themselves and with any thing you put them with. I have seen and hunted several good dogs, but only owned 3 Coon Dogs. My hunting buddy has owned a bunch of good dogs , but he says he has only had 3 COON DOGS. I think the higher your standards and the more honest one is in evaluating what they have, the fewer actual COON DOGS one has owned or seen. There are several men on this forum board that I know have high standards and pretty much ALL of them say the same thing, they have owned and seen very few real COON DOGS. Most of those who have owned or hunted with a COON DOG are never satisfied with anything less, I know that I feel that way, heck I have gave away decent dogs that just did not meet my standards, that other folks thought were really good dogs. COON DOGS spoil a man, but are few and far between, at least in my book. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-06-2020 03:34 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I've seen several folks over the years that were spoiled by that one really special dog. They tried to replace it but just never could and ended up giving up.

Remember.............if they were all special you'd have to call the special ones something else!

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:04 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dan

Good advice, but being a practical man I know the odds of me getting another COON DOG are very slim. My last COON DOG died this past December at age 14, he was retired at age 12 and my interest has been going down hill since. I tore my ACL a couple of months ago and really don't want to do surgery unless it's the last resort. I am wearing a brace, but don't think that I can hunt these mountains . I still own a couple of decent dogs, just not what makes me want to hunt every night. My knee may be the excuse I need to quit, but my heart may not let me. Dave

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:26 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Good advice, but being a practical man I know the odds of me getting another COON DOG are very slim. My last COON DOG died this past December at age 14, he was retired at age 12 and my interest has been going down hill since. I tore my ACL a couple of months ago and really don't want to do surgery unless it's the last resort. I am wearing a brace, but don't think that I can hunt these mountains . I still own a couple of decent dogs, just not what makes me want to hunt every night. My knee may be the excuse I need to quit, but my heart may not let me. Dave
I know the feeling Dave, I'm in the same place as you.

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:52 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Because of being a handler for one of the biggest retailers of used coondogs I had my lead on a lot of well known dogs most because they got some age on them and didn’t have the zip that those major players wanted and they hunted younger dogs. I owned 2 true coon dogs in 40 years. But I probly had my lead on about 10 and can’t no way count how many really nice ones I hunted.

But really now that I look back the most impressive ones were females. It don’t work out I get stuck with the male pups but I like to hunt females.

Tar

Old Post 04-06-2020 01:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Exceptional Coon Dogs Identifiers

I've been fortunate enough to have owned 3 in my life. What set them apart besides dominating the dogs that I hunted them with was:
*When they struck there was never a thought of IF they would tree the coon, just where.
*Even though they may not look great they always looked better than the other dogs.
*They could identify one coon from another. They could "count" coons and tree every coon that they crossed while trailing the first coon. They would not switch from a feeding coon track in the snow to a red hot track.
*After treeing a coon when hunting with other dogs the other nice dogs would no longer try to tree a coon on their own and just pack. Loner dogs became pack dogs.
*They could tree any kind of a coon and were not affected by where you hunted them or what the weather conditions were. They were consistent every time you cut them.
*They were extremely intelligent with a strong desire to please.

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:28 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar/Ken Risley

I know both of you guys know what a COON DOG is and that both of your post were indicative of what a guy with high standards has seen or owned. Granted there are some handlers that have hunted multiply dogs from different owners that may see more COON DOGS that the average hunter would. Bottom line is that there are not many that you can call a COON DOG and that be the case. A COON DOG does indeed spoil a man and makes it hard for one to settle for anything less, but I am so grateful for have seen and hunted the 3 that I owned over these 50 plus years of hunting. Looking for another COON DOG definitely kept me going for all those years. Age and health have caught up to me now and a real COON DOG would just be wasted in my kennel. I may be able to hunt the flat lands, but my mountain hunting is likely over. I hope to at least get to hunt with another COON DOG don't matter who owns it. Dave

Old Post 04-06-2020 06:32 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Dave,
I can feel your pain buddy , it seems like you and I are on the same track lol. I always hunted the mountains but now just the creek bottoms and then I have to have someone with me because I can't make most trees. I've been saying lately that getting old and broke down is the hardest thing I've ever done!

Old Post 04-06-2020 06:50 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt

Yes Sir., I know what you are saying. I was in pretty good shape until I fell and tore my ACL. I found out that things can change and change fast when it comes to ones health. Our mountains are very steep up here and you better be in good physical shape if you hunt these mountains. I hope to be able to travel and still coon hunt in the flat lands up North like Indiania and Ohio. Dave

Old Post 04-06-2020 06:58 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I live in the foothills of lookout mountain and have always hunted the mountains but after 2 bad knees and a bad hip I can't even hunt from my house without an ATV and a buddy. It sure has cramped my style almost brought it me to a halt!

Old Post 04-06-2020 07:04 PM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I've been trying to replace a female that I owned 20 years ago with no luck so for.

Old Post 04-06-2020 08:47 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clovis

They are few and far between unfortunately, my first COON DOG WAS in my twenties, my second COONDOG was in my forties and my 3 COONDOG was in my late sixties, not a very good average by any standard. I guess I was fortunate to have had 3, some folks never have any. The first one spoils you and you never are satisfied with anything else, I have owned a lot of decent dogs, but was always looking for another COON DOG. Dave

Old Post 04-06-2020 09:11 PM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I've owned dogs that in other people's eyes where coondogs but when you have owned that 1 real coondog that you have hunted with night after night them good ones just don't satisfy. Here's the funny thing I bought her from a dog trader everyone said I was the only one to get over on him. I didn't feel I beat him as I payed a fair price for the dog and she was worth every penny.

Old Post 04-06-2020 09:42 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clovis

I learned years ago that the price of a dog does not determine how good it is. I have bought and paid high prices for dogs that just did not meet my standards and a couple very cheap that made really good dogs. Dave

Old Post 04-06-2020 10:07 PM
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Tar. Would you name those two dogs you called coon dogs

Old Post 04-07-2020 12:28 AM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Grchgrntch yadkin tar deacon and 2000 $$$ world champ patoka lake bozz. Just didn’t have many bad nights anybody could handle them and win ( and they did ) but they could be beat they were the only two I owned. I judged them on their weekly performance at home not just in the hunts. Tar rattler was 10 yrs old when I hunted with him but he was a coondog and he was loud. Lipper was a machine that’s why 35 yrs later people still try to replicate him. Utchmans blue super glue owned by gene degrafied moved around like no other blue dog I ever hunted with and never seen him on an empty tree. Timber rattler had age on him but I liked him. The whitey dog trader was out of was a coondog. I could mention many more but they were 40 yrs ago and most wouldn’t know who they were.

Tar

Old Post 04-07-2020 12:40 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SLR
UKC Forum Member

X

Been at it close to 60 years only seen 3 never owned one myself two were walkers one female one male but the best was a mixed up male my dad owned in the early 60’s he would tree every coon in the bunch the first one that went up and the next etc. never would look at a caged coon and would shake a dead coon once was like let’s get the next one

Old Post 04-07-2020 01:33 AM
SLR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SLR Click here to Send SLR a Private Message Click Here to Email SLR Find more posts by SLR Add SLR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've got it in my head to make one. Only seen a couple, and never owned one. I'm 40 yrs old and I've hunted since I was 14. Been around alot of good dogs, hunted a really good one all this winter. I've never been good with pups, but for some stupid reason I've got it in my head to try to train something special. Maybe I'm just now getting patient enough. My dad always said a man should wait till he's 40 to try to train a mule, maybe the same could be said for a coondog...

Old Post 04-07-2020 02:06 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I think it's a matter of perspective. They're all gonna make mistakes never been a perfect one and never will be. If I've got one that makes the kinda mistakes I can live with and don't make them often I'm gonna consider that a coondog while somebody else may not. Been a lot of dogs come thru here in the last 30 years and ive only kept a few longer then two years. I've come to learn if I'm 75% satisfied with a dog 75% of the time most people will consider them well above average or better. I don't run the roads like I used to but still expect the dog I'm huntin behind the house to do the same as I did the ones I used to throw in the truck and drive 24 hours each way to compete with. Perspective, expectations and being honest with yourself. It's only a dogl

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 04-07-2020 at 01:43 PM

Old Post 04-07-2020 02:46 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

So in your quest to find that one in a million top dog that turns everybody's head, how many of you have sold what you had for what you just knew was going to be better, only to find out you wished you had the one you sold back?

Old Post 04-07-2020 03:27 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

No regrets here. I guess the quest is a big part of the thrill for me and I've always got satisfaction in selling somebody a dog they were happy with. If I kept all the good ones the chances of finding the real good ones get slimmer. Once I've identified a fault or wrinkle I can't fix I'm ready to move on.

Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for lol.

Old Post 04-07-2020 03:37 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Been alot of times that I've knowingly traded good for new, just for the sake of having something new to hunt and figure out. I like something different, even if it isn't quite as good as what I had...

Old Post 04-07-2020 03:42 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cory Highfill

You are definitely one that if and when you say it's a COON DOG it will be a COON DOG. You are one of the most honest guys around, I would take your word about any dog based on your honesty and you knowing what a COON DOG is. Some are honest, they just don't know what a COON DOG is and some are just dishonest. I sure hope you get one trained that I can buy before I get to old and crippled to enjoy one. Dave

Old Post 04-07-2020 07:50 AM
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I have had 4 that was nice but nothing ever exceptional so called COON DOG. Had 2 that could possible made COON DOG list. First got ehrlichia at almost 3 years old. She had been blowed up with E collar and after about year working with her was just getting start see her potential when she got sick. Second I sold at 17 months old and could been really special but need down payment for house. Have had 2 other including dog I'm hunting now and he will still improve. Already been %50 cast winner but just has few holes that will ever keep him from hitting the COON DOG list.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-07-2020 08:33 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nathan

You described a lot of dogs that are almost a COON DOG, but are lacking in some way ( holes). That's exactly why the list of real COON DOGS will always be a short list, especially when those making the list know what a real COON DOG IS. I would say from your post that you know what a COON DOG is, I hope you find or make one. Dave

Old Post 04-07-2020 09:07 PM