UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog not staying treed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CHRIS PARKS
UKC Forum Member

Dog not staying treed

I have a 19 month old female that is wipeout and lipper bred that I am messing with. She will get treed and trees good but when you get about 100 yards from her she will leave and starts running track again. I have tried hunting her with my older dog but she is independent and tries to stay by herself. I was told the previous owner had someone hunting her for awhile and they brought her back saying she wouldn’t stay treed. Don’t know if they done something to her or what to cause this. I just wanted to see if any of y’all had any suggestions. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-11-2020 07:01 PM
CHRIS PARKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHRIS PARKS Click here to Send CHRIS PARKS a Private Message Find more posts by CHRIS PARKS Add CHRIS PARKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I had a English female brought to me last spring she had sat in a pen till she was almost 4 years old and never been messed with. Didn't take long for her to run track but had know idea coons climb. But she started to tree but would get off tree and try to run track as soon as she saw me. But eventually she started to lock down she made a fair dog. The owner came and got her said he was satisfied.

Old Post 01-11-2020 09:10 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

Try to get there before she leaves or get her to come back and pour the praise to her, lots of petting and don't be afraid to be loud, keep her excited, most dogs want to please their owner. Can't hurt.

Old Post 01-11-2020 09:27 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog not staying treed

quote:
Originally posted by CHRIS PARKS
I have a 19 month old female that is wipeout and lipper bred that I am messing with. She will get treed and trees good but when you get about 100 yards from her she will leave and starts running track again. I have tried hunting her with my older dog but she is independent and tries to stay by herself. I was told the previous owner had someone hunting her for awhile and they brought her back saying she wouldn’t stay treed. Don’t know if they done something to her or what to cause this. I just wanted to see if any of y’all had any suggestions. Thanks
You are allowing her to repeat the same mistake over again, don't turn her loose. Let your other dog, tree a coon, LEAD her to the tree, tie her about ten feet back where she can see you praise the other dog, make a big deal of it. If you take the coon, don't let her have any of it. Do this a number of times until she gets to treeing good on the lead, then Id hunt her with the old dog hoping she will stay treed with him.
when she gets to this stage, play it by ear and see how it goes, but don't get in a hurry, these things take time.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-11-2020 09:31 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dog not staying treed

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
You are allowing her to repeat the same mistake over again, don't turn her loose. Let your other dog, tree a coon, LEAD her to the tree, tie her about ten feet back where she can see you praise the other dog, make a big deal of it. If you take the coon, don't let her have any of it. Do this a number of times until she gets to treeing good on the lead, then Id hunt her with the old dog hoping she will stay treed with him.
when she gets to this stage, play it by ear and see how it goes, but don't get in a hurry, these things take time.

good advice here !

Old Post 01-12-2020 12:29 AM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If she was mine I'd live trap a coon. Find a place where there are very few trees. One in the middle of a field would be good if you can. Have someone help you by being there to release the coon. Keep the dog back behind the trap a few feet. Make sure the trap is pointed at the tree. Have your buddy release the coon. Hold your dog back and let it see the coon go up. As soon as the coon hits the tree release the dog. When she starts to tree get in there and leash her up. Have your buddy shoot the coon out dead while you stay with the dog praising her up. Make absolutely sure that dog doesn't get loose before she can get ahold of that coon.

Old Post 01-12-2020 12:38 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgoodson
UKC Forum Member

coon?

Are you sure she is on Coon sounds like she is running a cat. You might try walking into her with your light off.

male ch grnt ch goodsons rowdy bocephus
NT CH Lippers LIP Lock Lizzy (lipper semen x War creek Anna)

Old Post 01-15-2020 09:24 PM
jgoodson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jgoodson Click here to Send jgoodson a Private Message Click Here to Email jgoodson Find more posts by jgoodson Add jgoodson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: coon?

quote:
Originally posted by jgoodson
Are you sure she is on Coon sounds like she is running a cat. You might try walking into her with your light off.

Yup. I'd agree that could be a possibility. I've had that happen. If so, I'm surprised she isn't picking the track back up.

Old Post 01-15-2020 09:37 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote