UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting speed ?
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

So my question is what did you MPH fellas do before garmin? Your beep beep collar didn't tell you mph did you guess ? Zap him when you thought it wasn't moving fast enough?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-2019 12:55 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Thats a tough one

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
So you don't cut down old logging roads or cut in open fields?

What's a field? I've heard of these things, but only see them when I leave this place. ha.

I use logging roads quite a bit when I'm trying to get one to get deeper and/or quicker but coons rarely cross a logging road it seems, best case is I have a logging road or 3 close to a creek.

Either way 4-5 is my preferred minimum on the "average" IF it appears they are hunting or close to getting a track up and moving. I like 2 types of hounds, 1 that has the uncanny ability to show me coons in strange places that others can't smell (at whatever speed it takes him to strike one)...or those wide open suckers looking for an easy one (but it's been years since I've had OR seen one of those that do it well, despite what I read or hear how much everybody else has one). Again, that's here, I'm sure them edge runners are a blast on pocket woods.

Old Post 12-17-2019 01:35 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
So my question is what did you MPH fellas do before garmin? Your beep beep collar didn't tell you mph did you guess ? Zap him when you thought it wasn't moving fast enough?

Drove 40 mph trying to find them ?

Tar

Old Post 12-17-2019 01:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Here is another thought. What does a dog hunt like when cut loose without or with company? I have seen some that will hunt a lot faster when cut loose with a dog . Others that only hunt as fast as the other dog or dogs. Some that don't hunt till it literally out runs the rest of the other dogs. Some that won't hunt with another dog. Some that won't hunt till there alone. Plenty of handlers/owners that never even understand how there own dog works. That's why speed isn't everything. To many variables.

Old Post 12-17-2019 02:06 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Way too many variables for a black & white answer.

If ole blue decides to get out of the light I consider it being productive & a run away To get treed is cause for celebration, & to actually have a coon in the tree is a bonafide Holiday!

Regardless of area/terrain, some dogs just seem to tree more coon than others.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 12-17-2019 06:10 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

You had to guess, but you had slow to fast same as now but no real way to measure speed other than a watch.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-17-2019 07:09 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
You had to guess, but you had slow to fast same as now but no real way to measure speed other than a watch.
yes Sir I was there pre garmin and pre beep beep ! And we had dogs that treed coon then also.....

Old Post 12-17-2019 07:26 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
yes Sir I was there pre garmin and pre beep beep ! And we had dogs that treed coon then also.....

It wasn't that many years ago and I didn't have a tracking system. But like Bruce pointed out, it will open your eyes to things if you're looking for it.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 12-17-2019 11:19 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I sure like to see them making big swings and Averaging in the double digits all the time. Sometimes in the flooded river bottoms they will slow down but then I still like to see them close to 10 mph. I turned a dog loose last winter in a bottom and he was 900+ yards treed before I could walk back and shut my tailgate. Went 18 mph across there. If a guy had one that did that all the time he would have something. They just don’t hardly make them though. I wish I had my name on the one I saw do it.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 12-17-2019 11:30 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Like most others are saying, terrain is a major factor in speed. I live in WV where there are no corn fields or patch woods, just cut over timber and 80/90% wooded area that's polluted with grape vines and honey suckle vines. We do have some open standing timber but this time of the year, the only thing the coon use them for is to den in. They feed in the thickets and that's usually where you end up. Also we have big hills and hollers to go with it. I am hunting a little female right now that will absolutely ware you out. If the coon aren't moving, you will walk to a tree somewhere and it won't take long for her to get gone and over the ridge and she don't need company to do it! I love her, I just wish I'd had her about 25 years ago when I was younger but then I wouldn't have had a tracking system, lol. Most of the time she goes about 4-6 mph in this terrain but she has gone faster and slower. That's plenty fast enough for my area! She doesn't hunt thorough enough to suit me but if there's a coon within reasonable distance, it's in trouble cause she has her head in the air all the time. I believe a dog would be hard pressed to average 15+ mph in my area and be productive, jmo. I do like to see one get gone quick and make things happen but to each his/her own.

Old Post 12-18-2019 12:49 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
Like most others are saying, terrain is a major factor in speed. I live in WV where there are no corn fields or patch woods, just cut over timber and 80/90% wooded area that's polluted with grape vines and honey suckle vines. We do have some open standing timber but this time of the year, the only thing the coon use them for is to den in. They feed in the thickets and that's usually where you end up. Also we have big hills and hollers to go with it. I am hunting a little female right now that will absolutely ware you out. If the coon aren't moving, you will walk to a tree somewhere and it won't take long for her to get gone and over the ridge and she don't need company to do it! I love her, I just wish I'd had her about 25 years ago when I was younger but then I wouldn't have had a tracking system, lol. Most of the time she goes about 4-6 mph in this terrain but she has gone faster and slower. That's plenty fast enough for my area! She doesn't hunt thorough enough to suit me but if there's a coon within reasonable distance, it's in trouble cause she has her head in the air all the time. I believe a dog would be hard pressed to average 15+ mph in my area and be productive, jmo. I do like to see one get gone quick and make things happen but to each his/her own.
Couldn't agree more.

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:37 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Couldn't agree more.

oklared
UKC Forum Member

SOME OF THEM BEATS THE COON TO THE TREE

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 12-18-2019 10:59 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Oklared

Lol. Must be some of those 18mph hounds that are faster than the coon that tree all them slick tree. Hunting in these mountains, you really don't need a speed demon, they All will be treed a LONG time before you ever get to the tree. My dogs trees better have coons when I get there, got no use for a slick treeing dog. Dave. P.S. I want to hunt with one of those 18mph dogs in these mountains and see just how long it takes them to slow down 3 miles in 10 minutes is a mile every 3 minutes and 20 seconds, I bet it won't take long to slow them down. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 12-18-2019 at 11:47 PM

Old Post 12-18-2019 11:42 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Oklared

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Lol. Must be some of those 18mph hounds that are faster than the coon that tree all them slick tree. Hunting in these mountains, you really don't need a speed demon, they All will be treed a LONG time before you ever get to the tree. My dogs trees better have coons when I get there, got no use for a slick treeing dog. Dave. P.S. I want to hunt with one of those 18mph dogs in these mountains and see just how long it takes them to slow down 3 miles in 10 minutes is a mile every 3 minutes and 20 seconds, I bet it won't take long to slow them down. Dave

The dog I saw do this was an English dog that we got from Ronnie Stoner. The dog had been in WV for 2 months being hunted there. The reason Ronnie had to go pick him up was the 2 young men hunting him said they didn't want to walk to that dog any more. Not because he was slick treeing but because he could be treed again in a very short time. They told Ronnie he was just too much dog than what they wanted. He's gone now though. My buddy sold him, he got hit in the road. He was hard to beat in a hunt.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 12-18-2019 11:57 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

I like a fast dog, but I want them to hunt the area that I put them in. No straightf line hunters for me. I would not want to hunt the English dog you mentioned in these mountains, maybe 20 years ago, not these days. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-19-2019 01:08 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Just because they are moving at 15-20 mph doesn’t mean it’s in a straight line. Some do, so cast around a lot . Mph has nothing to do with distance away from you .

Old Post 12-19-2019 01:31 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Just because they are moving at 15-20 mph doesn’t mean it’s in a straight line. Some do, so cast around a lot . Mph has nothing to do with distance away from you .

Could did just that. He didn't move anywhere near a straight line. He literally would hunt around you. But he just moved at 18+. 1 minute he'd be in front of you the next he'd be behind you, then back in front of you. He'd go deep but not without hunting the area out first. This is also the dog I saw run down and catch a deer in a hunt. He was a wild wild unit for sure. Only thing I really didn't like is he was a barker. He barked in the box, on the lead, and after being cut loose. But you always knew where he was, lol.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:18 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Lots of dogs that people claim are averaging 15 mph, are getting credit for their collar being turned on for the trip to the woods. That 60 mph 20 minute trip really helps their average...

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:58 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Lots of dogs that people claim are averaging 15 mph, are getting credit for their collar being turned on for the trip to the woods. That 60 mph 20 minute trip really helps their average...

Was waiting for someone to finally say it. The fastest dog I’ve ever seen trail a track can’t do that on a rigged bear from the truck! Must be some greyhound blood in some of these dogs!

Last edited by Ghost14 on 12-19-2019 at 05:15 AM

Old Post 12-19-2019 04:40 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Speed

Cory, I figured just what you fingered, collar has truck time involved. Heck a horse can't run like that for any great distance. 18 mph is going a mile every 3 minutes and 20 seconds, how long or far could any animal maintain that speed? To average 18mph they would have to run even faster at times.. I have racking horses that can rack over 20 mph, but not for any real time or distance. On a 20 mile ride, you would not average over 5 to 6 miles an hour or kill your horse in the process. 6 miles per hour is a mile every 10 minutes or s steady pace without stopping to rest. Been there done that to many times on a horse to even think a dog can average any better over a 2 to 3 hour hunt. Now a dog can run fast for short distance, but CANNOT maintain any real speed. Dave

Old Post 12-19-2019 05:40 AM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Two hounds turnt loose together, one travels 12 mph for 5 minutes, one messes around for 5 minutes goes 50 yds and trees a coon. After shooting the coon out it's been 15 minutes and 12 mph is treed 3 miles away. Now guess which hound I enjoy hunting.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 12-19-2019 05:54 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

After reading this post, I watched my dog's speed last night. I turned my nice methodical 4 mph female loose last. She had been up for 4 days. She went blasting through the woods at 7 mph. When she got 1 mile away without a bark, she ran out of woods. So, I toned her and she came back in. Next drop she only went 3 mph and treed a coon at 300yds. I sure liked that better than her 7 mph run.

Old Post 12-19-2019 01:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
Two hounds turnt loose together, one travels 12 mph for 5 minutes, one messes around for 5 minutes goes 50 yds and trees a coon. After shooting the coon out it's been 15 minutes and 12 mph is treed 3 miles away. Now guess which hound I enjoy hunting.
Your making way to much sense for this thread! Be careful! Lol

Old Post 12-19-2019 02:45 PM