UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The thing about track dogs.........
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

Re: Just a question

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
Would the age of a track have any bearing on how fast a dog worked the track?

IMO it should. The fresher the track the quicker a dog should be able to figure it out. Problem is it is hard to know how old a track is unless you turn out on a coon crossing the road or something like that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:29 AM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

A great track dog to me is the one that has his coon a high percentage of the time. Way to much credit is given to the good scorecard dogs that are consistent cast winners with 10 trees scored and 5 coon seen and 5 circled. FAST wins hunts, thats a fact of life as long as trees keep growing leaves, but to assume a first tree dog is a fast trackdog is flawed thinking. JMO

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:35 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

So

If we went hunting and you did not take a dog and my dog struck and just mosied along with the track and a while later treed with the coon what would think. !- good track dog, 2-fair track dog, 3-cant get out of a rain shower,

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:37 AM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

And thinking that 5 circle trees will do much winning is also flawed thinking.

Note I made a point of saying fast tree dog WITH A COON.

Look at the scorecards that are winning UKC hunts. The ones that win around here have alot of plus tree points and very few minus or circle points.
Case in point. UKC hunt Friday night at Howe, In. NtCh winning score had 75+tree and four 125+ trees. No circle trees, no minus.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Last edited by JiM on 07-25-2011 at 01:44 AM

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:39 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
And thinking that 5 circle trees will do much winning is also flawed thinking.

Note I made a point of saying fast tree dog WITH A COON.

Yep if he's treeing 5 circles and 5 coons and still beats ya. Something ain't right. Now one circle slick and 2 coons. I can see that lol.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:42 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Re: So

quote:
If we went hunting and you did not take a dog and my dog struck and just mosied along with the track and a while later treed with the coon what would think. !- good track dog, 2-fair track dog, 3-cant get out of a rain shower,

From the information you provide i would make no judgement at all.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:43 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Then

does the speed of a track dog rely on the age of the track?

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:45 AM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Re: Then

quote:
does the speed of a track dog rely on the age of the track?

Absolutly

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:48 AM
Dentre
UKC Forum Member

Track speed

Jim what about a dog that opens a couple of times and than shuts up and catches the coon on the ground in our big corn fields in Iowa. You guys are talking about first tree, but what about catching on the ground. I think if they are catching them on the ground they are running hard to. Does that mean they have track speed or are they smart.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:51 AM
Dentre is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dentre Click here to Send Dentre a Private Message Find more posts by Dentre Add Dentre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

So

If old sport strikes a track and blows out of the country then it would be safe to say he was on a hot track. and on the other hand he struck and had a hard time miving the track it may be a old track. If we agree on this then what conclusion can we come to about a TRACK DOG.?

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:53 AM
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I think it boils down to the difference between fast and good. And that difference is accuracy. Everybody wants that dog with both so we can win the world.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:58 AM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

John

I enjoyed posting with you. I do agree that you and you alone know what kind of a track dog you own. some of the dogs we hunt against are better and some are not quite as good. NOW that brings us t the handlers, As for me I do not believe in a SLICK handler they are honest or a cheat PERIOD. But we were talking about track dogs not handlers.

Old Post 07-25-2011 02:07 AM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Track speed

quote:
Originally posted by Dentre
Jim what about a dog that opens a couple of times and than shuts up and catches the coon on the ground in our big corn fields in Iowa. You guys are talking about first tree, but what about catching on the ground. I think if they are catching them on the ground they are running hard to. Does that mean they have track speed or are they smart.

I see so few caught on the ground that it doesn't really seem to be part of the equation. Maybe because the coon around here are hounded so much that they almost always climb something at the bark of a dog. But obviously if you got one that is catching a bunch, he has gotta be fast on the ground.

Old Post 07-25-2011 02:12 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

??????????

How many dogs will even hunt together. That's the only way to know. If they do make a tree togrther once do they do it again. More than one tree has to be made to truly determine whose faster. A dog that's gets to the tree first with company and then stays by himself the rest of the night cannot be judged. That would be a nice one but you couldn't make a determination.

Old Post 07-25-2011 02:27 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

JiM,
I have to say that I respectfully disagree. Arguably the fastest track dogs around are the coyote or fox dogs. And if you could get a coyote dog to run junk [coon] he would likely outrun many of our coon dogs. But when he got close to the tree, the superior locating ability of our modern coondogs would give the coondog a high likelyhood of getting to the actual tree first. IMO, the fast high scoring coonhounds of today are what they are because of speed of locating, and I think that there are fast track dogs that are slow locaters, and slow track dogs that are fast locaters. And vice versa. And when you have that combo of both fast on the ground, and fast locating then you have a dog to brag about. Most of us tote around dogs that are stronger in one area than the other, and we work them long enough and hard enough that they figure out the other part too.
Now a real fast track dog might get enough of a lead that he can be a bit of a slow locater and still get first tree- I think that happens a lot, but as others have pointed out, there are dogs that are mediocre track dogs that can consistently slide in there for first tree by being a quicker locater. In my early years of hunting I had a combo of a fast track dog and a quick tree dog. The grandson of Rock RIver Banjo would completely out track my Lone Pine female, but once they were near the tree she took over- always got first tree on a coon that she could not even track in the beginning.

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:00 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

I think that most any hunter that has seen enough dogs go , can make a fair judgement on track speed by distance traveled on track and time used to get treed.

But Jim is right.
Any dog that is getting a good share of first trees ending in plus points , probably ain't no slouch.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:04 AM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Well heck Truely, I expect the fastest are greyhounds and the slowest are prolly bassets but I'm talking about coonhounds.

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:12 AM
l.lyle
Banned

Hunt in the day time and SEE. the day we put garims on coons alot of people will be trading. Imagination don'y play tricks on you. Think about it>. You could tell to the second how old the track was the dogs struck and also if the coon is up that tree. Cheap Coon Garmins will change many dog owners.

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:14 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

What it boils down to is, is the dog fast enough for it's owner to keep it? lol

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:24 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Track Speed?

Running track or feeding track?
Clean open woods, thick woods, fields?
Briars, Grapevines, Cut over Timber?
Hilly? Flat? Mountains?
Ponds? Creeks? Lakes?
How humid? How dry?
Moon Cycle? Barometric Pressue? Storm Coming?
Rain? How heavy? How recent?
What are the coon feeding on?
What are the temperature conditions?

There are a lot of variables in the woods and conditions we hunt in. I've only mentioned a few.

And, don't forget that the coon we are running is also a variable. Not all coon think the same, act the same, and run the same. Coon don't all smell the same either---some will leave more scent or less scent, or stronger scent or weaker scent (these are different).

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:38 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

Re: Track Speed?

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
Running track or feeding track?
Clean open woods, thick woods, fields?
Briars, Grapevines, Cut over Timber?
Hilly? Flat? Mountains?
Ponds? Creeks? Lakes?
How humid? How dry?
Moon Cycle? Barometric Pressue? Storm Coming?
Rain? How heavy? How recent?
What are the coon feeding on?
What are the temperature conditions?

There are a lot of variables in the woods and conditions we hunt in. I've only mentioned a few.

And, don't forget that the coon we are running is also a variable. Not all coon think the same, act the same, and run the same. Coon don't all smell the same either---some will leave more scent or less scent, or stronger scent or weaker scent (these are different).

The worst thing that affects my dog is humidity and pollen. Extremely high humidity and pollen can make for some sorry tracks

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:41 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john nannemann
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Hill
you want a fast track dog?? get yourself a chop mouth track dog

amen

Old Post 07-25-2011 04:21 AM
john nannemann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john nannemann Click here to Send john nannemann a Private Message Find more posts by john nannemann Add john nannemann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john nannemann
amen
lol telling ya

Been following these walker dogs since 1983,and love every min of it !!!!

http://minnesotastatecoonhunters.webs.com/

Use SunSpot Lights, so bright its like the sun came out at night !!!

Old Post 07-25-2011 04:22 AM
Jim Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Hill Click here to Send Jim Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Hill Add Jim Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

From JiM:
"I think the only good way to judge a track dog requires you to have something to compare your dog to. It seems to me the easiest way to make such comparisons is simply which dog gets treed first AND HAS A COON"....

JiM, what percentage of coon that are treed in Indiana do you think were tracked to the tree? Compared to coon that are winded/located or some other version of a layup coon?

I think a lot of us that hunt in parts of the country where there is more tracking involved think that a fairly high percentage of Indiana [northern at least] are treed with little tracking involved. IMO I don't really consider it "tracking" if a dog gets treed within 100 yards of where it first opened. I mean, that coon could have been tracked, but many parts of the country a "track" would mean at least a 1/4 mile chase.

Old Post 07-25-2011 07:15 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

I wish a track did mean a chase. I love a race but so many times my dogs take a trail for a quarter of a mile and once the coon realizes the dog is on his trail, up a tree he goes. I guess that would indicate a good trail dog but without another dog going head to head on a trail or a hot track there is just no way of knowing. Then all you have is two dogs to compare, one might be slow and the other medium. All that can be determined is which of the two is faster, but it doesn't say either is fast.
Generally, dogs on a cld trail are not moving that fast and all are bunched up together and it probably comes down to the best locator if it just climbs. A hot running race gives the dogs a chance to put distance between themselves at times. Even with two fairly even good track dogs the temporary leader will still make momentary losses, usually by overrunning, and the other will pick it up. That dog should open up and tell the other dog, and you, he has it and you should hear more out of that dog till he makes a misturn and so forth. Two dogs working together can definitely cover more ground with faster overall trackspeed. I do understand when you are hunting against another dog it is easy to pat yourself on the back and decide that dog is just riding your dogs back. Maybe it is but it ought not be saying much. However if both or all three dogs are yours you get a clearer grasp on the concept of working together. At this point you will tell me that since they are mine that I am just making exscuses for the other two. Not so, I hunt about six dogs in many different multidog combinations as well as by themselves. I can pretty well tell which is in the lead the most in he marsh, another might lead more on a cold track and another might lead more when it gets fresher. Any one can do it by itself, it just takes longer on rough track and long running coons. Popups and short chases shouldn't take long at all and any single dog should be looking good..

Old Post 07-25-2011 08:20 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote