UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog possesive of coon.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
boone creek
UKC Forum Member

Dog possesive of coon.

I have a dog that is extremely possesive of a coon when he gets it in his mouth. He is also nuts on the lead when you shoot one out and it hits the ground. He busted my lead the other night trying to get at one, while we were skinning it. My real concern is hunting by myself and trying to pack out a hide. He'll try and take your hand off (not on purpose but if it gets in the way of the coon). I guess the real problem is trying to get him to leave a dead coon alone. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to cure this problem?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:01 AM
boone creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for boone creek Click here to Send boone creek a Private Message Click Here to Email boone creek Find more posts by boone creek Add boone creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike_Flores
UKC Forum Member

A cheap backpack to keep your hides or whole coon in goes a long way toward lowering your aggravtion. Bill Boatman used to sell a jacket with a snap up button compartment to carry your coon out...might still carry it.

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:06 AM
Mike_Flores is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike_Flores Click here to Send Mike_Flores a Private Message Find more posts by Mike_Flores Add Mike_Flores to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog possesive of coon.

quote:
Originally posted by boone creek
I have a dog that is extremely possesive of a coon when he gets it in his mouth. He is also nuts on the lead when you shoot one out and it hits the ground. He busted my lead the other night trying to get at one, while we were skinning it. My real concern is hunting by myself and trying to pack out a hide. He'll try and take your hand off (not on purpose but if it gets in the way of the coon). I guess the real problem is trying to get him to leave a dead coon alone. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to cure this problem?

Thats why they make clubs

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:09 AM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boone creek
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the tip. My other problem is getting it away from him after it hits the ground. I guess I could keep him tied back, but it's nice to let him have one occasionally as a reward.

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:11 AM
boone creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for boone creek Click here to Send boone creek a Private Message Click Here to Email boone creek Find more posts by boone creek Add boone creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Christie
UKC Forum Member

i had several dogs like this..the thing that worked for me is shoot one down to him and sit down and let him chew it til hes done then leash him up and walk him away..let him eat it if he wants this will teach him to leave it alone when its dead..i have done it and it works..he might destroy the coon but its worth it to get him to stop..

HOME of
Grnitech"Northern Rednecks Smokin Joe"(frozen semen)2011-2012 ,2014 Performance Sire( ACHA Grnitech)(grand 16 finalist 2011 at A.O.)(ACHA MI. State champion2012)(High scoring dog and 1st place Grnitech Saturday night at English days 2012)(2 cast wins and High scoring English at 2012 Plott Days)(Qualified for the world 2012)( 1st place Grnitech and 2nd place over all at the Georgia state hall of fame hunt 2012)(Qualified for the world 2013)

GrNitech Ch Northern Rednecks Jasmine(Over all winner of the Larry Wilcox Tribute hunt)(2013 3rd place at the English days Champions of champions)
Cast win 2017 Autumn Oaks

Nitech PR'Northern Rednecks Outlaw (Hoss x Jasmine) 2016 Michigan state youth champion

PR' Northern Rednecks X-trem Rush ( Crow x Jasmine )

EMAIL: northernredneckkennels@gmail.com
Northern Redneck Kennels on Facebook

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:12 AM
James Christie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Christie Click here to Send James Christie a Private Message Click Here to Email James Christie Find more posts by James Christie Add James Christie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark A Warnecke
UKC Forum Member

Boone Creek. Once you shoot the coon out, if he won't let it go , I leash the dog and head back to the truck letting the dog drag the coon. If it has any size to it he will get tired of it and drop it, it may take a couple times. But after he drops it and you pick it up if he wants to rip it out of your hands thats where a stout stick across the nose comes in. The drag method has worked for me several times. Good Luck!!!!

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:25 AM
Mark A Warnecke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A Warnecke Click here to Send Mark A Warnecke a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark A Warnecke Find more posts by Mark A Warnecke Add Mark A Warnecke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by boone creek
Thanks for the tip. My other problem is getting it away from him after it hits the ground. I guess I could keep him tied back, but it's nice to let him have one occasionally as a reward.

grab him in the back of the flanks both sides it cuts his
air off he will let go

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:40 AM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneekcowboy82
UKC Forum Member

dog

Boot to ribs

Home of G@G Full Throttle English coonhounds

Where the Full Throttle females stay

Where coonhunting is a way of life and memory's are made

Bob&Amanda Gilbert and the boys
Devon13
Aj11
Logan 10
Wyatt 7

Delhi Illinois
618-494-2341
Home of
PR G@G Full Throttle Tadpole co owned with Paul Glover

Old Post 12-10-2010 06:47 AM
redneekcowboy82 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneekcowboy82 Click here to Send redneekcowboy82 a Private Message Click Here to Email redneekcowboy82 Find more posts by redneekcowboy82 Add redneekcowboy82 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakenda creek b
UKC Forum Member

I had a dog like this when she was young.I would shoot the first coon out for the night and she would be done,i would throw it in front of the dog box and close the tail gate and she would be in the truck when i got back from the next drop.I just sarted pinching her nose and telling her 'dead coon',we had some long educational walks back to the truck just me,her and the dead coon.I never got to ruff with her.

Old Post 12-10-2010 06:52 AM
wakenda creek b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakenda creek b Click here to Send wakenda creek b a Private Message Click Here to Email wakenda creek b Find more posts by wakenda creek b Add wakenda creek b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ladycoonhuntr
UKC Forum Member

we teach ours "dead coon" and "drop it" and in my opinion i would try to nip this behavior....its comparable to food agression in my book.... noone needs a hand bit even accidently....you may have to get a little forceful to get the point across.....like another poster said it may take a boot at least the first time ....and its not that you dont want the dog to have it, i mean it IS a reward but hes getting overexcited about it.....even coondogs can learn some basic commands like sit, down and stay and HEEL and these can help in instances like yours

on the other hand will the dog carry it out for you? i used to hunt with a REALLY old female that was like that, and she would even put it in the truck for you....and only when you were at the truck would she let you have it. I swear its like she didnt trust you to carry it out LOL

CH Hayseed's Sweet Talkin Sadie
Steele Farm Marly
Steele Farm Tucker

PR Mitchell's Whiskey In a Jar
May 14,2006 - Feb 13,2010

Old Post 12-10-2010 07:21 AM
ladycoonhuntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ladycoonhuntr Click here to Send ladycoonhuntr a Private Message Find more posts by ladycoonhuntr Add ladycoonhuntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

I have only ever seen one that was as bad as the one described here. His owner did everything he could think of to get the coon away from him but nothing seemed to work very well. If we piched him he would let go but go right back. Two people couldn't get a coon away from him. Big ole blue dog. He finally traded him off. He would poop in the dog box too. You must have ended up with him!

Old Post 12-10-2010 12:45 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Smith
Banned

If the dog knows you are the boss ... he'll be more than happy to let the coon go when told ... a good green switch and just sting his nose with it til' he lets go will work ... and do it EVERY time he jacks with you .

If you just want to know how to get the coon out of his mouth , but don't care if your dog is the boss .... then that is easier ... just do like the bulldoggers do to get pitbull unhooked.

Take a hammer handle looking stick and get it in the corner of his mouth and down his throat a little ... do not pry .. trip his gag reflex and he'll spit the coon out .

The are called breaking sticks ... and folks just assume you break a dog's hold but that is totally wrong ... all you gotta do is make him gag ... thus "breaking" the two dogs apart .. not breaking the dogs jaw .

Old Post 12-10-2010 12:49 PM
Justin Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Smith Click here to Send Justin Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Justin Smith Add Justin Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

an old timer tought me this , when a dog does not wanna let go of the coon just blow in his ear they will let go everytime, it may not be the safest way but it works

Old Post 12-10-2010 12:59 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

showed the blow in ear trick from buddy this year been coonhunting since 1972 and they say you can't teach old dog new tricks???????

Old Post 12-10-2010 01:09 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

You kids ain't never seen one like this!

Old Post 12-10-2010 01:16 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

i AGREE w/ JUSTIN 100%

Old Post 12-10-2010 01:17 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bandithunter
UKC Forum Member

The first thing I teach a young dog is, when it's dead it's mine. A little late for that in this case. What I would do is grab him by the collar and choke him down till he drops it, if need be till he blacks out. If he makes another attempt to grab it, put the juice to him, all the way to high if need be. Once he learns that if you hold the coon it's off limits,problem solved. Pounding on him could open another can of worms you don't want to see.Ya don't have to beat a dog to get him to do what you want. I too say dead coon and they drop it.I also use it to call them off a tree when summer hunting, dead coon means it's over , lets go boys.

Old Post 12-10-2010 02:03 PM
bandithunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bandithunter Click here to Send bandithunter a Private Message Click Here to Email bandithunter Find more posts by bandithunter Add bandithunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by delta nightlife
an old timer tought me this , when a dog does not wanna let go of the coon just blow in his ear they will let go everytime, it may not be the safest way but it works

Seen a guy try that one time.
He lost about half of his face.

I can't believe ANYBODY would be that STUPID !

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 12-10-2010 02:58 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

I have used Mark's method for quite awhile. You have to start on a dog young. If you get to blowin' in their ear, pinching flanks, and choking them off (in the police k/9 world choke off build better bites!!) you can sometimes get into knock down drag out fights with an animal that has four strong legs and a good set of jaws. I let a couple of strong willed dogs carry a coon as far as they want to. Believe me..they will tire of it and let it go. When they drop it tell them "dead" or dead coon". After a couple of long drags they start letting go as soon as you tell them. I'm too old to wrastle with a young dog. Wear 'em out first!!

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 12-10-2010 02:58 PM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

Stompin their guts in, makin them pass out, shockin em till they drop it. I dont do any of that but I do cut me a good green keen limb and and make it burn till they understand what I want from them. The less they understand the bigger the limb. You can inflict more than enough pain without bruising their rib cage.
I like to grab em by the ears if they are clamped down, those ears can hurt em.

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Last edited by Lee Stocking on 12-10-2010 at 03:30 PM

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:00 PM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42

Shh!!! Let em live and learn!!!

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:01 PM
Joey

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42

Exactly I have seen two guys bit on the face trying that.

All of these suggestions might work for a little while but teaching him that you are the boss and you mean what you say is the only real way to break him.

Old Post 12-10-2010 03:35 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slough
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Stocking
Stompin their guts in, makin them pass out, shockin em till they drop it. I dont do any of that but I do cut me a good green keen limb and and make it burn till they understand what I want from them. The less they understand the bigger the limb. You can inflict more than enough pain without bruising their rib cage.
I like to grab em by the ears if they are clamped down, those ears can hurt em.

I like one with some leaves still on it. The swishing sound as you swing it works well with the switching the dog is recieving. Works on youngins too

Old Post 12-10-2010 04:00 PM
Slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slough Click here to Send Slough a Private Message Click Here to Email Slough Find more posts by Slough Add Slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

blow in the ear on a young dog works you can keep your e collars dogs that get trained with e collars are only good with e collars a dog trained right needs no e collar let me put e collar on you and see what i can make you do my dogs try to please me and know when they don't if i had a dog that loved to run deer i would sell a deer hunter same with cats, possum, yotes, fox, bear, besides that if there good at it there worth as much or more life's too short to stand around and shock dogs many a dog ruined with a collar imo

Old Post 12-10-2010 04:16 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JDS
Banned

A good green switch is the best training tool in my book. It works on alot of different things, leading, possums, slicks, ect, ect. Just strike'em across the muzzle and they will learn. It doesn't cause injures and is cheap too.

336-509-0997
Scott King
www.goshenswampkennels.com
NtCh Chandler's Hardtime Zombie
GrChNtCh Wilbur's Little Grizzly (Sadie)
GrNtCh Hillbilly Red
Beaver Creek Wild Cat (Cougar x NtCh Mainstreet Barb)

Old Post 12-10-2010 04:29 PM
JDS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JDS Click here to Send JDS a Private Message Find more posts by JDS Add JDS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote