UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Terrible Twos
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Terrible Twos

Anyone have any experience with dogs going through their terrible twos. What are some signs or things they do when going through this phase? How long does it last and should you hunt them through it or put them up?
Got 2 about 18 months old acting up now after I’ve shot a few coons down to them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2019 12:24 AM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlottDawg
UKC Forum Member

It last till you work em through it . It wont get fixed in a pen . Just hunt em give guidance and enjoy . Thats the fun and excitement of a young hound , once their broke everything is kinda boring

Old Post 11-13-2019 01:53 AM
PlottDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PlottDawg Click here to Send PlottDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email PlottDawg Find more posts by PlottDawg Add PlottDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Backsliding at two or 3

Agree with PlottDawg, but If you have been hunting them real hard, a two week stay in the pen helps with some issues.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-13-2019 04:42 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Thanks PlottDawg for the help just trying to get some opinions from seasoned hunters before I mess them up. jdgher thanks I have been hunting them A lot here lately I’ve given them 3 nights off so far.

Anyways though what are some things you’ve seen your prospect do that made yourself say “their going through there terrible twos” I was hoping a few people will tell a few quick stories on how there hound was misbehaving for you to know they started this “terrible two” phase... I was hoping it doesn’t last a year or so lol

Old Post 11-13-2019 12:04 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

My old female went through a spell when she got around 1.75-2 years old where she started running tracks backwards. Seemed like every tree she made there for a while was a den tree. I finally put 2 and 2 together and if i could tell the den was empty i would switch her lightly and send her back the way she came and more times than not she would hit the same track and run it the other way and have a coon at the end. About 3-4 times of that and she’s never looked back.

Old Post 11-13-2019 12:51 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

I absolutely believe dogs go through terrible twos. The last two I've started did and came out of it. The dog I'm currently starting is going through this now. I hope he comes out of it.

In my opinion it is a confidence / independence thing. They develop so much confidence and independence in that time frame they make bad decisions. One more year of maturity and they are back to concentrating on those things we train for.

Old Post 11-13-2019 01:52 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

yes she has been running tracks backwards and treeing in a den a lot. back and forth sometimes, treeing and leaving the tree. Getting hung on a track. Think she got on a deer now just a lot happening at one time seems like. When she was first starting out she was looking real nice and when she would settle down and tree she would have the meat. She would check a tree for a second and make a circle around it but she would come back she wouldn’t leave
Thanks for the replies hopefully I can get a few more stories out of y’all

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:00 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have 1 that has been hunting deer instead of coon. It sure has put a damper on getting quality work done. Usually just a correction or 2 has been good enough on a few of the latest pups I trained but not this one. I have knocked him off plenty just in the past week.

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:17 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Pamjohnson I had one one time that started easier than any dog i ever seen she was out of dreamer. She would cut a flip when i shocked her at full force and she would just keep running it the collar wouldn’t make her stop. when you say you’ve knocked him off plenty this week what do you mean exactly?

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:30 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Correcting him using the collar. He does quit that track and go about hunting or return which ever he feels like doing mostly depending on his distance at the time of correction. I'm sure we'll get it figured out after awhile.

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:37 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Have you been correcting with the collar when you think he’s on a deer or you wait till you see it cross so you know he’s not on a coon? Sometimes she will run a coon track fast similar to how she sounds running a deer but it’s usually a few minutes before I know for sure if there on a deer or not

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:40 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

My experience has been that the 3rd year is when you really begin to see solid consistency and when they seem to get their head screwed on straight regarding trash. Of course this assumes one has done their due diligence and broke the dog off trash.

Personally I can't stand a trashy hound but I know some folks that it really doesn't bother them much when their hound trashes. By the 3rd year I usually have those issues resolved. If I can't get them broke they don't stay with me.

It's a true joy going to the woods with a broke hound that is a solid performer. Those kind don't live long enough. Seems like they grow old quickly!

Old Post 11-13-2019 03:20 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

This 1 just turned a year old about weeks ago. I have seen the deer on some occasions but not always. I prefer to see the offgame before I push the button but I am sure I have not shocked this one while running a coon yet.
I understand why some folks don't care if there dogs run offgame and that's fine with me. I personally don't care for that style of dog. My area has to much offgame and I don't enjoy wasting my time.

Old Post 11-13-2019 06:01 PM
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

I always heard turning them out on a deer you see in a field is the best way to go to break them because you know there on it then.

Old Post 11-13-2019 06:29 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Mine just turned two. I don’t like hunting male dogs but that’s all there was seems like training a female is easier. I am sure that between now and spring me and him will have a bunch of disagreements.

Tar

Old Post 11-13-2019 06:36 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wlewis323
I always heard turning them out on a deer you see in a field is the best way to go to break them because you know there on it then.
this is sound advice. If I do that I also prefer to keep hunting right threw not just throw them back in the truck.
Also you questioned the track's I have shocked my dog on. I don't go bye the speed of the track. It's not a good indacater for me. It's a combination of things learned over time. I still make mistakes but my gut feeling with experience is right more than wrong.

Old Post 11-14-2019 02:56 PM