UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Alpha 100 Help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Alpha 100 Help

I'm trying to help a friend fix his Alpha and am looking for more expertise.

The guy tells me he has never deleted a track in the 5 years he has owned the system so I'm surprised its even working at all.

But the problem I'm having is trying to delete the archived tracks. Every time I hit the archived tracks to go in to them the hand held turns off.

Anybody have any idea why it might be doing this??

This unit also has never had a software upgrade.

Any help would certainly be appreciated

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-04-2020 08:21 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Also have a TT15 Mini that the charging light stays Red on all the time. You cannot turn it off. It's the same age as the hand held.

Any help appreciated

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 12-04-2020 08:38 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You need to start taking some of the old stuff out of there. If archived tracks isn't working. Take the saved dog tracks and the handheld tracks out. If it has a map card in it take that out. If you are still having problems with the archived tracks do a master reset and see what that clears out.

As far as the mini. I might not understand you. The red charging light is the same as the on light. That red light stays on when? Just when your charging and doesn't go out when hooked to a charger. If you take it off the charger what does the light do and can you turn the unit on and off.

Old Post 12-05-2020 12:43 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Bruce-Alpha Help

Thank You Bruce for being so willing to help us all out.

I did hook the hand held up to my computer, and i did delete all the hunts since 2016 This guy runs beagle and runs them once or twice a day almost every day since 2016, so Yes I was there quite a while cleaning up some of the old stuff he had on it. It does now come on and link up faster, but still will not show the maps (Birdseye) once you zoom in beyond .8 mile. As soon as you zoom to .5 The birdseye disappears and the screen turns green It will flash for a moment where you can see the birdseye trying to come on the screen but then goes back to green. Again once it is set at .8 the birdseye stays on. I did notice it is calling for TWO software updates. If memory serves me correctly it is running on 5.7 or something close to that. I have not yet updated as I have not yet had access to the proper computer. What I have done with the cleaning out of files I have done on my apple computer, and I know bad things will happen if I try to install software upgrades from an apple computer, at least that was the last information I had so I heve not yet upgraded the software. I will get to a different computer in the next couple days and see if that corrects the map loading problem.

Sam did tell me he has recently purchased the chip that has Garmin Huntview Topo Ohio v2.5 and Garmin Huntview Parcel -Ohio v2.80 but has not yet been able to get it to work. Hopefully once I get the two software updates completed, it will fix that problem for him.

The system stopped shutting down when I erased all the archived tracks so at least we are making some headway.

As for the TT15 mini staying on all the time, Sam told me it started doing that a while back, He ordered a new batter and installed it. AS soon as he connected the power to it that red light came on and will not go out until the battery is completely dead. You cannot turn it off, that red light stays on until the battery goes dead. Sam said he can put it on the charger and it will turn back on RED and he can charge it, but it never turns green, and you cannot shut it off, and I don't believe it will link and or connect to the hand held. I'm gonna check them for software upgrades as well, and I'm sure it needs updated as he said the collars he purchased at the same time that he bought the unit and they have never been connected to a computer, so I'm certain they will need a software upgrade as well. My truck broke down hunting last night and I have spent all my time since then trying to get it back up and running, but I do plan to do these upgrades tomorrow

Again I sure appreciate all your help with this

I did a little search and seen other folks was having this same issue back in 2016 with the hand held shutting off, when trying to delete archived tracks, and Gar,in staff were unable to correct the issue with the hand held, they simple cleared out the tracks from a computer, but the device continued to shut down when trying to delete those archived tracks. I didn't know if that problem has since then been corrected.

You had suggested the guy in 2016 to trade it in and pay the 150.00 for a refurbished one. I'm wondering if that may still be the best advice for my friend Sam

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Last edited by Rocketman55 on 12-06-2020 at 04:52 AM

Old Post 12-06-2020 04:48 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The 15 mini probably needs to get swapped out with garmin. If you have the handheld working and have updated it the hunt view should work.

These handhelds start shutting down when they get overloaded with info. Curious question. When he got his handheld did it come with the mini as a combo system or did he buy it separate and the collar separate. The handhelds are not all the same. There were handhelds that came out with the TT10 bundles that had an operating system half the size of the ones out today. What is the first 4 letters and numbers of the serial number.

Old Post 12-06-2020 10:01 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I so very much appreciate your help. Yes I upgraded the software on the hand held and it is now working fine.

As for the TT15 mini collars he told me he had bought them all at the same time. He has 4 Mini collars, I updated three of them today as well and those three are working fine, but the one that stays red and won't power off or on i couldn't do anything with so I will pass on to him your recommendation of trading it out.

Thanks Again

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 12-06-2020 08:50 PM
benderb4
Banned

color. if it were mine . if you are handy. open it up gently clean turn on button .i had one did same thing and a little speck of dirt was the problem

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 12-06-2020 09:39 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote