UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The " New" Competitive Edge
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
The kicker is that the close dog cannot check in and when being recut for 2 hours they are likely to run out of coons to tree. A dog that only hunts out a few hundred yards is limited in it's sucess by it's hunting style, the terrain and coon population of the area. Some places deep is a necessity and some hunting locations not so much. We hunt a few where a dog may 800 yards before they ever get struck. A hunter is and will continue to be more successful hunting a dog that hunts until called in and trees coons wherever they are near or far. These dogs are not limited by they're hunting style.

A tree them as they come to them dog (accurately) and faster than the rest (track speed) is the best bet for consistent success the new no leash lock should highlight this even more.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-19-2019 04:03 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Redneck brought into the equation of where the dogs are being dropped at. Throw in the experience level of the guide guiding you to know where to take you. The moon cycles and the temperature plus is it a late round or early round. You then have a whole bunch of circumstances that your dogs has to overcome or get the benefit of hitting it just right.

In the old days it was frowned on to have a guide set up to give any handler an advantage. Different story today. Many of the guys on the competition circuit have hunted so much they can guide themselves in many locations with permission. Just the way it is and nothing wrong with it. You have to have coon and they should be moving if your going to put points on a card.

Good owners and handlers know exactly in which conditions their dog shines in. Some shine bright in most of them but some don't do so good in some of them either.

If close hunting was my cup of tea. I would probably not own a full blooded hound. Some type of cur of fiest maybe. You want a fast car you get one with horse power. You want an economical car to just get around, then you find one of those. You don't buy a race car and hope for it to have a lawn mower engine. Because your scared to go fast.

Old Post 11-19-2019 04:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How many dogs in the big money hunts have had the 15 started on them? In the past you didn't know but with play by play we now know. If you are walking to those deep dogs, the close hunters should have plenty of woods to hunt. You never stand still for 15 minutes anymore.

Old Post 11-19-2019 04:49 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Been thinking about all that has been said and I think there may be some confusion on what a close or medium hunting dog is and and what a deep hunting dog is. What I want and really consider a necessity is a dog that hunts the close area well and then just keeps getting deeper if he hasn't found something. Now I don't know if you call that a close hunting dog or not. Have no use for a dog that gets deep just to be deep but don't like one that goes 400 yards and comes back and is thru.

Old Post 11-19-2019 05:05 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Redneck brought into the equation of where the dogs are being dropped at. Throw in the experience level of the guide guiding you to know where to take you. The moon cycles and the temperature plus is it a late round or early round. You then have a whole bunch of circumstances that your dogs has to overcome or get the benefit of hitting it just right.

In the old days it was frowned on to have a guide set up to give any handler an advantage. Different story today. Many of the guys on the competition circuit have hunted so much they can guide themselves in many locations with permission. Just the way it is and nothing wrong with it. You have to have coon and they should be moving if your going to put points on a card.

Good owners and handlers know exactly in which conditions their dog shines in. Some shine bright in most of them but some don't do so good in some of them either.

If close hunting was my cup of tea. I would probably not own a full blooded hound. Some type of cur of fiest maybe. You want a fast car you get one with horse power. You want an economical car to just get around, then you find one of those. You don't buy a race car and hope for it to have a lawn mower engine. Because your scared to go fast.

Bruce I think your using quid quo pro !! You said it your self say your guiding your own cast. Then you been there a week before the hunt and you own ole babble deep and alone. And you make sure there are no close coons for a dog to tree behind ole babble deep and alone. Then it’s a horse race to see who gets to that one coon or circle slick is that the definition of a real coondog to you. Would you be confident you could feed your family with hides with that dog.

With that I yield.

Tarbaby

Old Post 11-19-2019 05:11 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar unfortunately I think your mind might be a little clouded. I have been around these hunts for many years. Drove miles in trucks with fellow hunters. I never heard one say they wanted to guide so they could guide in thin coon or they wanted to be taken to thin coon. My circle of competition always said the more coon the merrier it will be. We evaluated the leaves on the trees as we got close to the hunting location. We wanted thin or no leaves and plenty of coon. That is a FL boys dream, because we always have leaves and few coon.

Old Post 11-19-2019 05:48 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Tar unfortunately I think your mind might be a little clouded. I have been around these hunts for many years. Drove miles in trucks with fellow hunters. I never heard one say they wanted to guide so they could guide in thin coon or they wanted to be taken to thin coon. My circle of competition always said the more coon the merrier it will be. We evaluated the leaves on the trees as we got close to the hunting location. We wanted thin or no leaves and plenty of coon. That is a FL boys dream, because we always have leaves and few coon.

Are you denying that happens ? And are you denying keeping others on the leash ( closer hunting coon treeing dogs ) is part of the strategy ?

With that I yield

Tarbaby

Old Post 11-19-2019 05:55 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I knew better.

Old Post 11-19-2019 06:13 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Tar, I knew better.

With that I yield lol.

Tarbaby

Old Post 11-19-2019 06:18 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
How many dogs in the big money hunts have had the 15 started on them? In the past you didn't know but with play by play we now know. If you are walking to those deep dogs, the close hunters should have plenty of woods to hunt. You never stand still for 15 minutes anymore.

It does happen but not very often.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-19-2019 07:31 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Wont have to breed for closer hunting dogs. Same as most of the alone and deep dogs are made so will people tone there dogs and train them to hunt out to distance they want. You tone a dog a bunch most time it will take some the hunt out of them. We have the tools to mold dogs a lot different ways. Brains, Nose and Hustle and a good handler wins the hunts under any rules. But them are 3 things hard to come up with in one package.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 11-19-2019 07:45 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bryantaylor1979
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion I would take a dog that just takes them as they come. I have won more cast than you can count because my dog trees as they come, usually close (within 300 yards) and on a recut still put coons up at that yardage. Point being if the dog puts up coons close why go deep? 90% of the time he is split treed by himself. On a bad night he might get 0.7 of a mile with a coon. Point being that those type of dogs can put up 2 maybe 3 coons to a dog that goes in a straight line deep passing up coons just to tree a one coon in a hour. I want a dog that takes them as they come and not be able to watch him go in a straight line on the garmin for 1/2 a mile before his nose hits the ground. I used to have a dog that wouldn't tree any closer than 900 yards each cut. He was accurate as hell but did get beat more times due to a dog that puts coons up close. Also look at all the hunt time waisted for walking. Just my opinion.

Old Post 11-20-2019 04:23 PM
bryantaylor1979 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bryantaylor1979 Click here to Send bryantaylor1979 a Private Message Click Here to Email bryantaylor1979 Find more posts by bryantaylor1979 Add bryantaylor1979 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote