UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How deep should a hound have to go
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

How deep should a hound have to go

Why in the world would anybody want a dog to go 2 or 4 miles or more to tree a coon!! I What are they doing to get that far? I've had bad nights dogs got deeper than usual but not no 3 or 4 miles! Are they hunting? Running junk out of the country or just running ghost from the time they get off the leash!

PR. WOODARDS ALLGRAND ANN ( SPIDER X LIZ PUP)
PR. WOODARDS HARDWOOD DOC ( SPIDER X LIZ PUP)
Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-01-2017 09:42 PM
Randy Woodard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Woodard Click here to Send Randy Woodard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Woodard Find more posts by Randy Woodard Add Randy Woodard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: How deep should a hound have to go

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Woodard
Why in the world would anybody want a dog to go 2 or 4 miles or more to tree a coon!! I What are they doing to get that far? I've had bad nights dogs got deeper than usual but not no 3 or 4 miles! Are they hunting? Running junk out of the country or just running ghost from the time they get off the leash!
absolutely not hunting !!

Old Post 07-01-2017 09:49 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Just happy to be dogs, and if you ain't got to feed it it shouldn't matter.

Old Post 07-01-2017 09:58 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Back in the day dog act a fool like that much they would have found a way for you to take those long lonley death marches by your self while everybody else hunted that's all I am gonna say about that lol !!

Old Post 07-01-2017 10:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

I make walks by myself a lot to my dogs but it's a split tree close or maybe a few 100 yds difference. And sounds like rob might have a dog that likes to hunt the next state! 😆

Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Old Post 07-01-2017 10:53 PM
Randy Woodard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Woodard Click here to Send Randy Woodard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Woodard Find more posts by Randy Woodard Add Randy Woodard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Who has dogs that go that far? Nobody I know of.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:00 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I make walks by myself a lot to my dogs but it's a split tree close or maybe a few 100 yds difference. And sounds like rob might have a dog that likes to hunt the next state! 😆

No robs dog will go if he needs to but he don't pass up no coon. Granny is 10 yrs old and when coons are not moving she is to much dog for me old crazy heifer lol.

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
cause u have hunted with me a lot right? I can't help it if my ol plug isn't as good as yours randy.

Last edited by rob thompson on 07-01-2017 at 11:21 PM

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:18 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Rob if you want me to brag on him much more your gonna have to pay me lmbo.

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:25 PM
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

Never said I did rob. U said it wasn't my business so sounded like u was one of them! Lol Don't get your panties in a wad. U post something like that u know ull get a response.

Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:31 PM
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

Pay me and I'll brag on him!!

Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:32 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

we use to just say the dogs blew out on us years ago .when they blew out 9 out of 10 times they would all be took of the same tree . now when they blow out they will be alone . years ago the dogs didnt bark all thew the country when they made the way deep . now days they never shut up while getting gone . the dogs of today will have a coon when you get to them so some call them coon dogs . a show dog thats never saw a coon in its life also called a coon dog .lol my style of dog is one that takes the first track comes to trails it up and trees it . closer the better . with or without company not important to me as long as i see a ringtail . dont get me wrong sometimes i have to walk a mile or more but not each time i turn lose . that would take the fun out of hunting for me .i enjoy hearing a dog work a track out and finish it with a coon .

Last edited by thomasg on 07-02-2017 at 12:14 AM

Old Post 07-01-2017 11:53 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Never said I did rob. U said it wasn't my business so sounded like u was one of them! Lol Don't get your panties in a wad. U post something like that u know ull get a response.
oh my panties are warm and ironed smooth, but it is definitely none of mine or your business what another man hunts. Andtar that dog ddoesn't care if anybody brags on him or not, all he cares is I feed him on time!

Old Post 07-02-2017 12:03 AM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

hunt

Don't get me wrong guys !! I want a hard hunting young dog !! because I can and I will make him stay within range of me !!I absolutely want have a young dog hanging around me !! or having one blow out country young or old !I have went thru a bunch that lacked in one area or another!!!

Old Post 07-02-2017 12:31 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

Re: How deep should a hound have to go

quote:

Years ago I wanted one without return but to many trips over a miles ol dog found new home. Around here one goes over 1000 yards often without getting struck and treed isn't looking for a coon no matter how much its won or what was paid for it or who is bragging on it!!!!

Old Post 07-02-2017 12:56 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
No robs dog will go if he needs to but he don't pass up no coon. Granny is 10 yrs old and when coons are not moving she is to much dog for me old crazy heifer lol.
Yadkintar a poodle would be to much for you !! I know !! shut up smart a!!lol

Old Post 07-02-2017 01:09 AM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I hunt large sections of timber, and I often let cabin fever get the best of me in the middle of winter. I have been known to hunt in 2 feet of snow and below zero temperatures. It doesn't happen often, but if the snow is deep a dog may have to cover a bunch of ground to find a coon stirring. The old female I have here doesn't have a problem covering 2 miles to find a track if she has to. She would drive me nuts if it wasn't for my Alpha.

I will admit this only happens in the winter. Most of the year she will get struck and treed anywhere from 100 feet to 1000 yards.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-02-2017 02:39 AM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

More coons now & less hunters than in the last 100 years. I can't figure why a dog would have to go a mile. Most places I hunt if they go over a mile often they'll be ran over before long.

Old Post 07-02-2017 03:33 AM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

I've just seen where people saying dogs went 4 or 5 miles a few times on post on here and of course facebook! Lol A mile walk around here is rough in these mtns. My dogs got a gear but find a coon within a reasonable distance most times. Not enough hunting territory here. To many rds and houses

Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Old Post 07-02-2017 03:52 AM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Till it trees a coon!! 10 yrds or 10 miles I don't care just don't come back until u hear your name!!

Old Post 07-02-2017 07:41 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I've just seen where people saying dogs went 4 or 5 miles a few times on post on here and of course facebook! Lol
I hope all mine from here on out have enough sense to come back before they go a mile. Im fortunate to not have spots that take more than a a few hundred yards to get struck.

Old Post 07-02-2017 12:10 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Till it trees a coon!! 10 yrds or 10 miles I don't care just don't come back until u hear your name!!

After a man crawl on his hands and knees that far here a few times he would change his mind somtimes it takes the dogs 20 minutes to work a coon 800 yards and it will take 1 hr to get to them by time I get back to the truck I have to really think about cutting again we got lot lots of coons but man is it ruff lol.

Old Post 07-02-2017 02:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Maybe there is or maybe there isn't a misunderstanding of a dog hunting hard, blowing out of the country, straight line hunter, road runner. Whatever you want to call it.

If a dog hunts hard and can and will tree a coon right out of the truck, then tree one a few hundred yards and his hard hunting ability takes him a mile if the coon are not moving. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that and that is what separated the winners from the losers many years ago

Like everything else the hard going of the winners are in our genetics today but they are not combined with treeing a coon. The hard going is combined with what I feel should be faults. Going a mile before starting to hunt for a coon, running roads, doing its best to get away from other dogs when there are coon in the area to tree.

Now I know there are areas with fields and wood lines and if hunt those you might favor a dog that works those edges. Nothing wrong with that. As long if they just are not running the edges to get a mile away.

If mine is deep I want him there for one reason. His hard hunting ability didn't find a coon close and he didn't get lonely and started looking for me. He kept looking for a coon.

This isn't rocket science. Hunt your dog and you will know if he is getting deep for a good reason or because it is a fault he has.

Prime example of what I am talking about. Go hunting and dogs tree several coon all around you. You and your buddies think you have found a great spot. All dogs treed, split treed and had coon several times during the hunt. All fairly close. Go same spot 2 days later. Turn same dogs out and nothing. GPS shows a couple dogs working around in the swamp. GPS shows one dog worked the swamp and then started ranging out. The dog ranging out finally found a coon 1.5 miles away and the other dogs are still in the swamp still going back and for and not barking but not producing either. I am not going to fault the dog 1.5 miles away. It is about how he got there on my GPS. It wasn't down the road, it wasn't a straight line. It was hunting. That is what I want as these are HUNTING DOGS.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I had a hard hunting dog pop up from time to time. There was a problem back then. They usually culled themselves as they would get lost and there was no trackers to find them with. I walk hunted one vast area called the Everglades. 17 miles from one road to another. Turn out in the block of woods and try to keep up with a hard going hound. Our pack was just that. A pack that stayed together and treed coon together. The dog that we are looking for today showed up from time to time but didn't last long. It culled itself. I went back many a night to a place we had lost a dog earlier in the week, just to hunt in hopes he heard the dogs barking and would come to them. So with seeing many of a good one without a tracking collar never come back. I feel it is only my responsibility to go as far as it takes to get one today that is wearing a tracking collar. If it going too far because of a fault. Then it won't wear another collar of mine.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 07-02-2017 at 02:56 PM

Old Post 07-02-2017 02:46 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOSH VAUGHN
UKC Forum Member

I don't care how get the dog goes as long as it's not running over tracks to get away from dogs. I've had several dogs that would get treed close to 2 miles if they had to go that far to find 1. You won't see many dogs going a true 4 miles unless they're doing something wrong. I've been with some of the hardest hunting dogs there were and none of them were being found treed 4 or 5 miles away. I've seen some dogs go over a half mile or so before they started hunting. I had 1 like that once. He was a hot nosed dog and he would blow in until he found a red hot track. He was super accurate. When he got up around 3 years old he just started lwaving the country, alone or with dogs. He aleafy hunted a little too hard and fast but what ever went wrong he just started leaving the country every dtop a lot of times he'd never get treed and I'd find him 3 miles away. I think he would have been a thyroid candidate but we didn't know about all that back then.

Old Post 07-02-2017 03:46 PM
JOSH VAUGHN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOSH VAUGHN Click here to Send JOSH VAUGHN a Private Message Click Here to Email JOSH VAUGHN Find more posts by JOSH VAUGHN Add JOSH VAUGHN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOSH VAUGHN
UKC Forum Member

I don't care how get the dog goes as long as it's not running over tracks to get away from dogs. I've had several dogs that would get treed close to 2 miles if they had to go that far to find 1. You won't see many dogs going a true 4 miles unless they're doing something wrong. I've been with some of the hardest hunting dogs there were and none of them were being found treed 4 or 5 miles away. I've seen some dogs go over a half mile or so before they started hunting. I had 1 like that once. He was a hot nosed dog and he would blow in until he found a red hot track. He was super accurate. When he got up around 3 years old he just started lwaving the country, alone or with dogs. He aleafy hunted a little too hard and fast but what ever went wrong he just started leaving the country every dtop a lot of times he'd never get treed and I'd find him 3 miles away. I think he would have been a thyroid candidate but we didn't know about all that back then.

Old Post 07-02-2017 03:46 PM
JOSH VAUGHN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOSH VAUGHN Click here to Send JOSH VAUGHN a Private Message Click Here to Email JOSH VAUGHN Find more posts by JOSH VAUGHN Add JOSH VAUGHN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote