UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I've put epsom salts in my potted flowers. He plowed up the garden, but I think he's making it into a food plot for the deer. They got more of it last yr than we did.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-11-2017 05:09 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Angry

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF SOW BUGS OR ROLLIE POLLIE'S, THEY ARE MUNCHIMG ON MY STRAWBERRIES

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 05-15-2017 01:20 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

You can try diatomaceous earth it seems to work on most pest but you will have to reapply after rains, I use it frequently in my quest for organic gardening. Roll up newspapers and place them around in your beds first thing in the morning check it for bugs, they seem to catch all sorts of unwanted critters. I just looked up other organic ways to get rid of them on strawberries and most recommend a product called Sluggo Plus, it's a granule you sprinkle around the beds that kills slugs and rolly pollies. You could also try Seven dust if you don't mind using it.
Wish I had some strawberry plants! My family goes pickin at a local strawberry farm and there is nothing better than some of grandma's homemade preserves on buttered toast in the morning.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-19-2017 05:05 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

THANKS JEN, WE ARE GOING TO TRY TO FIND IT

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 05-19-2017 04:12 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We got the tomatoes mulched yesterday. Put down a few layers of newspaper then straw on top. I'm waiting for the peppers to get a little bigger before doing them. Basil, parsley and marigolds were planted with the tomatoes, supposed to be beneficial to them and help with pest we'll see how that goes lol. The peppermint , spearmint, Echinacea, lavender, lemon balm, lambs ears and bee balm (my medicine and for oils plants) I planted in areas around the perimeter of the yard with hopes the will spread and come back every year. The rest of the herbs cilantro(which is self seeding is on its 3rd year and is a must for good salsa), thyme, rosemary, garlic, oregano, marjoram, sage and a few others are planted in pallets in the little enclosed garden. The pallets I removed every other board and then filled with dirt to make rows. The little garden is slightly raised beds some made with the pallets some with rocks and others with old timbers. I used an old telephone pole cut up and made a rectangle filled it in with dirt then fenced it in to keep the rabbits out, which didn't work but did make a nice little garden for the beds that don't require tilling. It a path down the middle I put wood mulch on for walking.
Rex Ridge I read last night that you can take Irish Spring soap and place it in old tube socks to hang by fruit trees, berries and around your garden to help keep deer away, something to try, although it sounds like your husband is trying to draw them in lol.
Mom's big garden in the bottom is finally coming up nicely but would be better if we could get a little less rain and a week of sunshine. Just about everybodies plants around here were about to float away and the ground has been saturated since the end of April.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-22-2017 09:30 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We've put soap or hair in knee highs and tied them to the trees, but I didn't use Irish Spring. Maybe I'll get some the next time I'm in town to put on thr Gala tree. Most of the trees are taller and they don't bother them until the apples are ripe, then they stand on their back legs and eat them. The Gala tree is short so they pick at it all the time. Chuck doesn't wouldn't care if the ate every apple in thecorchard, but I'd like to get a few of some of the Galas, Fujis, Golden Delicious and Granny Smiths, if we get any.

Old Post 05-23-2017 04:57 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Makes me hungry for some apple crisp!
Tip for the day...weed control around borders, trees or anywhere you don't want to use round-up. Several times in the past I have killed shrubs or flowers in my yard by the wind carrying weed killer even on calm days also I don't like the idea of using round-up where my grandbabies play. This year I used farm/livestock salt and it has worked great. Sprinkle the salt anywhere you don't want to weedeat. For larger areas you can mix regular salt, vinegar and water in your sprayer.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-25-2017 08:07 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Grandma is ticked!! My uncle just sprayed weed killer on part of the fence row she and I had planted. Her lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, dill and garlic are now dead. I don't think he is allowed back in the yard with his sprayer. She had placed little signs with each one marked that he apparently didn't pay any attention to. Says he didn't spray the tomatoes because they were in cages if they die he may too lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-29-2017 08:05 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

LOL...hope the tomatoes make it.
No garden here yet. It's plowed and he ran the disc over it, but I think its going to be a food plot for the deer. Last yr, that's what the garden turned out to be anyways. They ate the tops out of my tomatoes and peppers and they all died.

Old Post 05-29-2017 08:14 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Started maybe finished putting in the garden today.
Didn't plant much: 8 🍅, 8 broccoli, 6 cabbage, 8 peppers, and a doz cantaloupes. Hope to get 🍉, cukes and zucchini in, but need to get some hay mowed first.

Old Post 06-09-2017 04:33 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Glad you got some things in the ground. Maybe the deer will share and not eat it all. I've been thinking of planting some watermelons down by the spring. I saved some seeds from a big watermelon I bought from a young Amish boy last year. It's a little late but our first frost isn't till around Halloween usually.
Mom and Dad have been mowing hay all week. With the rain we have gotten it is a bumper crop. I imagine that Chey and I will be in the hay field this weekend to help out and get it hauled to the barn.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-09-2017 05:06 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Chuck mowed some of our hay today. We only have 5-6 acres to make, but usually we don't have much help so that's enough. I only need enough to feed my horses and we sell some to help pay for twine fertilizer, etc... I had 2 horses, but just put one down. Hoping to get another one.

Old Post 06-10-2017 01:42 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We made over 500 bales of hay...that's easy going to feed one horse. Told Chuck I was done with hay, but he doesn't think so. We still have a couple acres of first crop left to make when we get a decent forecast and then 2nd crop.
Planted almost a 1/2 lb of peaches and cream sweet corn today. ..hard on the back. Can't find zucchini again...I got some round ones. Hope they're good. We planted some 🍉 and eggplant yesterday. The deer came in an nibbled on 5 out of 8 cabbage plants. 😞

Old Post 06-15-2017 02:49 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rex Ridge that's alot of hay fir one horse lol. We are at the Southern Mo Classic $kc hunt this weekend. I am going to Baker's Creek Seed while here I am going to get you some zucchini seeds so you will have them. PM me your mailing address and I will send them out to you. If anyone else has any special request I'd be more than happy to look and see if they have what you need. This place has thousands of seed packs and every old world and heirloom variety you can imagine.
The beetles are back so the war is on!!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-15-2017 04:19 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My daughter and I hand picked Japanese beetles tonight. So far they are just on the roses and 4 o'clocks, I'm sure when they finish eating them they'll move on to the vegetables!
The tomato plants are really growing and starting to bloom. For getting put in the ground late they are doing well. Volunteer okra is popping up all over the little raised bed garden so I have been transplanting quite a few of them into other areas. My 18 mo old grandson pulled several of the zucchini plants I planted in the front flower bed, it seemed like a good idea lol. I'm going to start a few more for replacements, hopefully it's not to late here. My peppers are still really small I'm not sure if they need some kind of fertilizer or if it's still been to wet for them. The beets, carrots, lettuce and peas are all coming up in the garden spot Cheyenne tilled up in a clearing in the woods. None seem bothered that it is partial shade cucumbers are starting on the fence but may need more sun than they are getting there. It has been crazy with weeds though, it is going to have to have some serious mulching done!
We did get to go to Bakers Creek Pioneer Village last Friday so I picked up a few seeds I was needing. I love checking out their test gardens and looking at new (old) varieties you just can't find anymore. I also bought Grandma a couple of packages of lettuce and radishes to replace the one my uncle sprayed with round-up.
Happy gardening everyone,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-20-2017 05:46 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We made our first ever scarecrow today. Chuck put a 3 strand wire fence around the garden last wk, with lots of flags on it to keep the deer out. We planted almost 1/2 lb of peaches and cream sweet corn and the darn crows are pulling it out. The scarecrow was only up an hr before we got a bad storm and it fell over. I told Chuck the crows probably knocked it over. Next time we get to town, we'll have to stock up on shotgun shells. The crows will be in the blueberries next. Usually if he shoots a couple, he hangs them in trees and the rest of the crows stay away.
Thanks for picking me up some seeds, Jen.

Old Post 06-20-2017 06:36 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

R scarecrow fell over while we were at National Redbine Days and the darn crows got a couple of rows of corn.
They'll probably be after the blueberries next. They're just starting to get ripe. I picked a pt to enter in the fair. I entered bee balm and daisies out, too. I wanted to dry bee balm for tea, but Dandy always pees on it....thought I wouldn't like that flavor 😉 so I didn't bother drying any.

Old Post 07-04-2017 06:17 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

R scarecrow fell over while we were at National Redbine Days and the darn crows got a couple of rows of corn.
They'll probably be after the blueberries next. They're just starting to get ripe. I picked a pt to enter in the fair. I entered bee balm and daisies out, too. I wanted to dry bee balm for tea, but Dandy always pees on it....thought I wouldn't like that flavor 😉 so I didn't bother drying any.

Old Post 07-04-2017 06:17 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Went to the fair last night...the blueberries got 1st, and the daisies and bee balm each got 2nds. My friend took out a baby quilt and a denim bag, they both got firsts. She has a sewing machine that embroiders, she makes a ton of stuff with it.

Old Post 07-05-2017 04:15 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rex Ridge that is awesome on your wins at the fair! Did you get your seeds I sent?
We have been gone to Colorado on vacation with my family, 19 of us at one time. Mom rented a house outside Gunnison for last week then Friday through yesterday in the mountains near Breckenridge. It is beautiful country but I'm glad to be home. Cheyenne saw 1 English hound in Breckenridge we never saw any sign of a racoon the whole time we were there, I don't think they cross the Kansas border. I did not see a single garden in that entire state, not even a single special herb garden lol. My tomatoes have grown a foot since I've been gone but the weeds have too! Not sure if I will ever get them pulled we have a hunt out of town this weekend. Chey's flowers around the house are looking great and all the veggies I tucked in his beds are looking good except the peppers. We've still had plenty of rain for this time of year. My aunt called while we were gone and she was picking green beans and cucumbers from mom's garden while we were gone. Mom has a delicious pickle recipe for fridge pickles that I will post for y'all. If anyone has any canning recipes or cooking recipes for our garden produce feell free to post them.

Happy gardening,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-05-2017 07:51 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Received and planted them, Jen. I sent you a PM thank you yesterday.

I have a friend in CO, they moved there 2 yrs ago and love it. She invites me out every time we talk on the phone.

Old Post 07-05-2017 08:23 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

You should go for a visit but it is no place I would want to live. It is beautiful primative country but not enough grass and oak trees for me to ever feel at home.
The beetles made their come back while I was away and not here to hand pick them. I've been on Pinterest looking for homemade organic sprays to treat them with this weekend. I'm the plus side I only found a few this morning and they seem to be happy eating just the roses, 4 o'clocks and morning glories I haven't found any on any of the vegetables. I've got lots of green tomatoes, I'm ready for some fried green tomatoes.
Made cucumbers & onions last night.

Cucumbers & Onions
Peel and slice several cucumbers (I use the ones that have gotten a little to big for making pickles)
Thinly slice 1 red onion.
Stir together the following ingredients until sugar and salt is dissolved
1 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar.
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup sugar (you can use more of you don't want them quite so strong tasting)
1/8 cup salt
Black pepper
Pour over cucumbers and onion in a container with lid, I use a 1/2 gallon jar. Add more cucumbers/onions to the vinegar mix as you eat them.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-07-2017 07:31 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

This weekend I made a homemade miracle grow for the garden. I first put 2 TBSP of Epsom salts at the base of each of the tomato and pepper plant (This is supposed to be an excellent way to add magnesium back into the soil that tomatoes and peppers love) I also sprinkled a little around the squash and okra. Using a 5 gallon bucket I put 1cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of ammonia then filled the rest with water, using a small pitcher I poured around 1/2 a gallon at the base of each plant.
Mom's green beans are going crazy and she has canned near 100 quart. I am in the process of making homemade baby food for my daughter's new little one, I sure hope she likes green beans lol.
My process for baby food green beans..
Wash, snip and snap green beans
Cook until tender, add just enough water to cook them.
Drain excess water.
Puree in food processor till smooth.
Fill ice trays with puree mixture.
Freeze. After frozen store cubes of frozen baby food double bagged in freezer bags until ready to use.
My mom mentioned using small punch cups for bigger servings so try some of those to see how well they work.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-10-2017 04:18 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

When we went to lamaze classes many yrs ago, the coach mentioned making your own baby foos by putting veggies, fruit, etc... in a blender. For almost 2 yrs Chuck kept asking me if I wanted a blender. I never got one until a few yrs ago when I started drinking Margaritas. My friend gave it to me when she got a new one.
Chuck ran the rototiller yesterday and I hoed...got the whole garden done just before we're suppose to have 4 days of rain. Some of the squash are up. Picked 2 qts of blueberries yesterday, more out there, I'll have to go to the Amish tomorrow and see if they want any.

Old Post 07-10-2017 11:06 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rained a little here yesterday and was cooler with a high in the mid eighties, we needed it!
The baby food process went pretty good I am hoping to get her some squash and carrots when they ripen and some apples when they are ready.
Cheyenne has killed 8 copperheads in and just around the edge of the yard since this Tuesday. I am going to make up milk jugs with V shaped slits near the top then filled water and 4-5 moth balls to set around the perimeter of the yard. I found it in Pinterest and willing to try about anything at this point. Our terriers both died of old age a couple years ago and the snakes are taking over! My son said he would move lol. We live in the woods but the yard is always mowed. I've been thinking on getting some guineas but they are more expensive than chickens which my pups running loose always end up killing. I'm thinking the price/chance may be worth it though.
Tomatoes are looking good with lots of big green ones but no red yet, looking forward to that first fresh ripe one. And my okra is blooming. The garden Chey tilled me a clearing in the woods is a weed patch but I can see the beets and carrots popping up. The peas need staked and I don't no if they are going to do much good. The corn we planted at mom's garden is getting close to being ready. She has been letting people come in and pick green beans. It's pickle making time.
My daughter and I went blackberry pickin this evening and only got about a gallon and a half. The thicket about a mile from the house that is usually loaded has been taken over by those stinking Japanese beetles. We ended up with seed ticks and quit early to get home and shower, I may hate those things worse than the beetles lol. We have some spots down on the farm we are going to go try and get some more tomorrow.
After the beetles and the ticks I could go for one of your margaritas!
Happy gardening everyone,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 07-16-2017 at 05:03 AM

Old Post 07-16-2017 04:52 AM