UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Elite Handlers---
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Elite Handlers---

Any one else laughing at these "elite" young guns who if you took their Garmins away would be totally lost??? I have watched enough to see that the good houndmen call their hound by their voice, not looking at a screen that tells you which way it went or when its treed. As one guy said, "handlers were a lot better years ago."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-29-2024 01:44 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't bother me-most of em' can probably hear their dogs at the same time they look at the Garmin. It's not replacing anything- judge has to hear what the handler hears. It's fun for me to use my Dogtra with the Google maps and see exactly how the Hound is moving.

Old Post 03-29-2024 04:15 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Are you sure?

8-A handle just has to tell the judge when dog strikes and trees.

Judge then records it on the card. I have never had a judge say, “wait I didn’t hear it” they just record it on the card. At the tree showing the raccoon is different. And if you can’t find it then the game starts “where might it be?”

Wonder what would happen if the judge was the only one carrying the garmin that would show dog barking and treed?? (Just asking for a friend)

Last edited by OLD TIMER on 03-29-2024 at 12:55 PM

Old Post 03-29-2024 12:43 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Are you sure?

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
8-A handle just has to tell the judge when dog strikes and trees.

Judge then records it on the card. I have never had a judge say, “wait I didn’t hear it” they just record it on the card. At the tree showing the raccoon is different. And if you can’t find it then the game starts “where might it be?”
I
Wonder what would happen if the judge was the only one carrying the garmin that would show dog barking and treed?? (Just asking for a friend)

I've seen plenty of times a judge can't hear and won't grant a call. Young boy from SD was in a big hunt last year- his dog got deep and out of hearing..... Regardless what was on his Garmin he wasn't able to score his dog and was essentially out of the competition. Thought it was the world hunt, or something, can't remember off top of my head.

I will say I agree with you in that I've always thought tracking collars should be mandatory and the judge should be the only one holding the receiver- using it to confirm handlers calls. Technology is about to the point if they used Pathfinder systems it could be live fed of the screen for spectators.

Old Post 03-29-2024 01:27 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

What—

Do you think the chances of that happening??

Thanks for your replies—loading up and heading out to exercise some coyotes

Happy Easter

Old Post 03-29-2024 01:52 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

72% over the next ten years.

Old Post 03-29-2024 02:16 PM
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

IF YOU TREE YOUR DOG OF THE GARMIN AND THE JUDGE CANT HEAR THE DOG YOU GET A BIG MINUS AND THEY SHOULD....IF THE DOG IS DEEP ASK THE JUDGE IF HE CAN HEAR MY DOG B 4 U TREE HIM

Old Post 03-29-2024 06:44 PM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
griff
UKC Forum Member

I am getting hard of hearing. Where I live in sd coons can go a long way. I don’t comp hunt. I like to see who does what, where they are, how far, if treed, and how to get back to the truck without getting lost.
Trees are scarce and some would rather go to water than trees. I know I have saved my dogs life a few times by getting there quicker before they got drowned. I got back into Night hunting because there are no squirrels out here like when I lived in the ozarks.
I think a fella should know his dog. I converted my fiest intoa coon Hunter, and I can tell by his bark when that lazy old dog slick trees. Without the tracker I probably wouldn’t be in the game.

Old Post 03-29-2024 07:20 PM
griff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for griff Click here to Send griff a Private Message Click Here to Email griff Find more posts by griff Add griff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Elite Handlers---

quote:
Any one else laughing at these "elite" young guns who if you took their Garmins away would be totally lost??? I have watched enough to see that the good houndmen call their hound by their voice, not looking at a screen that tells you which way it went or when its treed. As one guy said, "handlers were a lot better years ago."

In my opinion looking at a Garmin should be banned unless time out is called or there is danger of them getting on a road, timeout should be called if this happens also.

Old Post 03-29-2024 07:35 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ridgerunner1
UKC Forum Member

It’s a Great and amazing tool hell I prob have 8 of them… I only run stinky bears anymore and I throughly enjoy watching a pack of dogs work together to get the job done BUT..

Each of y’all posting on this thread, no it’s gets took advantage of in the competition world…
Some of these great handlers and dogs now wouldn’t be nothing without the thing..get deep and lonely . Would be get deep and withdrawn…

Old Post 03-30-2024 12:45 PM
ridgerunner1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ridgerunner1 Click here to Send ridgerunner1 a Private Message Click Here to Email ridgerunner1 Find more posts by ridgerunner1 Add ridgerunner1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Ridgerunner1

I compare these “elite” hound people to today’s “elite” fishing people.

You look at these boats today and they look like they just raided a Bass Pro store with all the “stuff”. No different than all the belts and vest full of “stuff” from Conkeys on todays hunters.

When I went fishing with my Uncle in the 50s and 60s we had a boat, motor, fishing rod and bait (worms and minnows). He taught me how to “read” the lake.

Same was true in these same years when I was taught how to “read” the track from just the voice of the hound. Our equipment was a flashlight, .22, lead and if we were really big time there was a plate on their collar with our name and phone number.

So I feel blessed to be old and so glad that I had the chance to learn to love this sport from the voice of the hound instead of a handheld screen

Happy Easter

OT

Old Post 03-30-2024 01:47 PM
last chance
UKC Forum Member

To me Garmin is a tool that can be helpful if we listen to our hounds,use the Garmin to mark a spot when you're not sure what the hound is doing! It's nice to see if the hound is across the river.I don't need it to tell me my hound is getting close to a road because my fellow hounds man that is guiding me should have enough common sense to let you know.If we paid more attention to the lay of the land as we're going to the hunting spots and less time looking at a screen things are pretty simple!

Old Post 03-30-2024 02:40 PM
last chance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for last chance Click here to Send last chance a Private Message Find more posts by last chance Add last chance to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Does anybody's ears close when they look at a screen? I'm pretty good at looking and listening.

Old Post 03-30-2024 03:20 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Elite Handlers---

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
In my opinion looking at a Garmin should be banned unless time out is called or there is danger of them getting on a road, timeout should be called if this happens also.

I have always supported no Garmin during a cast. I would propose they go back to that in a heartbeat. A lot of folks are lost without it!

Old Post 03-30-2024 03:38 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
last chance
UKC Forum Member

Don I would be willing to bet a person would know their dog a lot better if they wasn't staring at the Garmin 24/7!

Old Post 03-30-2024 04:25 PM
last chance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for last chance Click here to Send last chance a Private Message Find more posts by last chance Add last chance to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc?

You’re in the final 4 for a $50,000 check. You’re looking at your screen in your hand and you see the icon get up on the tree on the screen. Does your hearing get a lot better?

Old Post 03-30-2024 05:41 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Shadinc?

quote:
You’re in the final 4 for a $50,000 check. You’re looking at your screen in your hand and you see the icon get up on the tree on the screen. Does your hearing get a lot better?
Nope. But it doesn't get worse. Is your hearing better when you're listening to radio than when you're watching TV?

Old Post 03-30-2024 09:25 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
last chance
UKC Forum Member

Don is Ryan Bergeron kin of yours?

Old Post 03-31-2024 12:31 AM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc

Tyler Swift on radio or TV--Yep, a lot better on TV

Old Post 03-31-2024 12:57 AM
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I recall a hunt that a Garmin would have been very handy to score a tree.
Situation..Nite Ch. cast with non hunting judge. At the end of the hunt, a dog trees to the west of the cast. We were all on a logging road and since the judge was the only one required to see the coon, he offered to let us just wait for him and the handler to get back. So, off they go. The dog shuts up and before the 2 minutes would have caught him; he starts treeing to the south from the cast who were waiting. Evidently, they did not realize he had moved. We could see the lights when they searched the tree. They returned and one cast member remarked that it was a shame he had moved. The judge had no idea. If they had marked it on the Garmin; there would have been no doubt.

Old Post 03-31-2024 12:58 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by last chance
Don is Ryan Bergeron kin of yours?
I do not know Ryan Bergeron. Is he from south Louisiana?

Old Post 03-31-2024 01:02 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Shadinc

quote:
Tyler Swift on radio or TV--Yep, a lot better on TV
You're a dirty old man. I'll bet you're not even listening.

Old Post 03-31-2024 01:05 AM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

As Grandpa would say--

I'm OLD but I'm not DEAD!!

Old Post 03-31-2024 01:29 AM
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AndyMiller
IF YOU TREE YOUR DOG OF THE GARMIN AND THE JUDGE CANT HEAR THE DOG YOU GET A BIG MINUS AND THEY SHOULD....IF THE DOG IS DEEP ASK THE JUDGE IF HE CAN HEAR MY DOG B 4 U TREE HIM

Wrong if the judge can't hear your dog he can't take the call there's no minus given out.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 03-31-2024 06:33 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

If I’m the judge you would get minus
If can’t hear him the 2 minute rule will be applied

Old Post 03-31-2024 07:37 PM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote