UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
firesmith25
UKC Forum Member

Question?

In the English breed what causes a dog to have a blue/green eye. Does it have to do with breeding and does it help for picking a pup? Thanks Smitty.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-21-2018 11:09 PM
firesmith25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firesmith25 Click here to Send firesmith25 a Private Message Click Here to Email firesmith25 Find more posts by firesmith25 Add firesmith25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question?

quote:
Originally posted by firesmith25
In the English breed what causes a dog to have a blue/green eye. Does it have to do with breeding and does it help for picking a pup? Thanks Smitty.
some of the pups in my bodie dogs litter had one blue eye . bodie was out of botae . does your female out of botae have a blue eye ?some like them .some call it a fault . it is a gene based trait that might pop up from several generations back is what i have been told from folks that have raised more pups than i have. i have saw walkers and blue ticks with same trait (blue glass eyes ).

Old Post 02-22-2018 03:17 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firesmith25
UKC Forum Member

Yes she is out of botea I just breed her I was plan on keeping a few and wonder if it would be a good of keeping one if they have different eyes. Thanks Smitty

Old Post 02-22-2018 11:17 AM
firesmith25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firesmith25 Click here to Send firesmith25 a Private Message Click Here to Email firesmith25 Find more posts by firesmith25 Add firesmith25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Landon

quote:
Yes she is out of botea I just breed her I was plan on keeping a few and wonder if it would be a good of keeping one if they have different eyes. Thanks Smitty

A blue eye or watch eye is a recessive gene that shows up in English, Walker and Bluetick breeds. It is a recessive gene which means both the stud and dam have to carry it. Years ago some breeders would cull pups for having a blue eye their reasoning being they thought it might represent there being a cur, collie or non hound blood back in the pedigree. Whatever you believe it has no effect whatsoever on the dogs ability. If you don't want them I will take all the blue eyed pups if you have!!

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 02-22-2018 04:30 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firesmith25
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone had luck with those kind of dogs with a different eye.

Old Post 02-22-2018 04:36 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Has anyone had luck with those kind of dogs with a different eye.
i hunted several times with jed finlleys trader hound . trader had two blue eyes . he always looked good to me .jed won a lot of hunts and money with him.

Old Post 02-22-2018 11:46 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote