UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > help with over the rail box
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

help with over the rail box

I've started on my box as of now I have no plans for storage but thinking I might want some I guess I can always add it later what type of storage do ya'll prefer for an over the rail? I don't want to hinder the dogs this is what I've got so far the expaned metal will be for a removable divider and doors I will be adding more cross braces on the top and it will have a rigging rail how tall are your rails

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Last edited by Smoking_Bluedog on 11-13-2014 at 02:33 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2014 02:31 PM
Smoking_Bluedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoking_Bluedog Click here to Send Smoking_Bluedog a Private Message Click Here to Email Smoking_Bluedog Find more posts by Smoking_Bluedog Add Smoking_Bluedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

Everybody has different opinions but I like the rails to be at least chest high on the dog. I've seen em a lot shorter, I've seen em without rails and just an eye bolt in the middle of the box to tie dogs to, but personally I like it where it's gonna be chest height on the dogs.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 11-13-2014 10:45 PM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
allisonzc
UKC Forum Member

You want storage put a tool box on top rigging rails about chest high as stated before. I like to put a Reese hitch on front of truck and put a rigging platform up there then you can watch your dogs.

Old Post 11-14-2014 01:59 AM
allisonzc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for allisonzc Click here to Send allisonzc a Private Message Click Here to Email allisonzc Find more posts by allisonzc Add allisonzc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

I like the front rigs better than the box too as far as that goes.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 11-14-2014 02:11 AM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAPOSSUMHNTR
UKC Forum Member

Go ahead and make it a full body box....mount your toolbox in the top of it....mine is set up like that and it's a lifesaver....no such thing as too much storage.

Old Post 11-14-2014 04:49 AM
VAPOSSUMHNTR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAPOSSUMHNTR Click here to Send VAPOSSUMHNTR a Private Message Click Here to Email VAPOSSUMHNTR Find more posts by VAPOSSUMHNTR Add VAPOSSUMHNTR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies

I have been thinking about rigging from the hood since my hood is already beat up anyway

Vapossumhntr I saw a box built like that I think it may have been on ukc it was a nice box. I think i saved a pic of it and started to go with thst design. will I gain anything mounting the toolbox in the dog box? I figured I would still have the same space in the box so just went the way I have so far

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 11-14-2014 09:53 AM
Smoking_Bluedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoking_Bluedog Click here to Send Smoking_Bluedog a Private Message Click Here to Email Smoking_Bluedog Find more posts by Smoking_Bluedog Add Smoking_Bluedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Been lazy on the box but I've went back and added a recessed storage at the back 2" of it is above the box 3 1/4 below for collars and leads ammo it still gives me 24" for the doors may put boxes on the sides haven't got that far yet. What about pvc water storage is it worth it? Any pics of the set up? Was gonna put mine along the sides of the divider had another question but can't think of it right now

Thanks

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 12-02-2014 01:51 AM
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Slow go but finally making progress
Redo

door frame

gonna try to order the diamond plate this week have plans to add more top storage on both sides and rigging rail

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 12-09-2014 11:22 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

you've got a nice shop to work and create things in. I know your box will look great.

Old Post 12-17-2014 02:05 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Thanks it's not my shop but where I work I've been looking around at some welders for home to weld aluminum with.

A pic with a door laid in place I have both doors done now my diamond plate came in last week hope to get some of the diamond plates on this week so it'll start looking like a box lol

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 12-17-2014 02:16 AM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

is the expanded metal, aluminum? if so, what does a sheet cost.? I think it must be pretty expensive.

Old Post 12-17-2014 05:05 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

It is aluminum my boss man orders a good amount a of aluminum I got it at his price which was right under $60 4'x8'x1/8" don't know what it would be somewhere else

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:52 PM
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Well I've got slack on the box but made some progress this week finally stuck some diamond plate lol starting to take shape of a box

got to close the end above the door and make the lid for the storage and may make some covers for the sides will make covers for the end beside the door frame to make it look better

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 01-22-2015 12:05 AM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

that's nice. it's gonna be a $1000 box. You're going to be proud to show off your homemade box.

Old Post 01-22-2015 12:17 AM
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Well I need to put the front in to keep them out from under toolbox wire the back up lights and I want to insulate the top to help with heat any ideas on what to use so the dogs don't mess with it

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 05-24-2015 02:52 AM
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

great work!!! dang nice box.

Old Post 05-24-2015 07:56 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

you are a real craftsman. that's a masterpiece.

Old Post 05-24-2015 05:31 PM
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Thanks fellas I'd like to have a place of my own to build boxes maybe one of these days lol

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 05-24-2015 06:02 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Great job! You are truly a craftsman and very talented. A shame you aren't in Texas.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 05-28-2015 02:44 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Great job! You are truly a craftsman and very talented. A shame you aren't in Texas.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 05-28-2015 02:44 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Thanks I think I've got something to insulate the top with gonna try it see how it works

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 05-28-2015 04:19 PM
thundervalleyoutfitters
UKC Forum Member

help with rail box

You boys making these aluminum over the rail dogboxes. Think about making them adjustable for small and large trucks. It's not that hard and that way you can use them when you trade trucks.. My over the rail box was built in 1994. It's adjustable width wise...I've put it on a 92-94-98 fords a 07 Tacoma and a 2012 Tundra. It's not aluminum. It's light tubing. I keep it on my Tacoma most of the time, but when I travel I put it on my Tundra...Just a thought. Paul

Old Post 05-28-2015 06:57 PM
thundervalleyoutfitters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thundervalleyoutfitters Click here to Send thundervalleyoutfitters a Private Message Click Here to Email thundervalleyoutfitters Find more posts by thundervalleyoutfitters Add thundervalleyoutfitters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Re: help with rail box

quote:
Originally posted by thundervalleyoutfitters
You boys making these aluminum over the rail dogboxes. Think about making them adjustable for small and large trucks. It's not that hard and that way you can use them when you trade trucks.. My over the rail box was built in 1994. It's adjustable width wise...I've put it on a 92-94-98 fords a 07 Tacoma and a 2012 Tundra. It's not aluminum. It's light tubing. I keep it on my Tacoma most of the time, but when I travel I put it on my Tundra...Just a thought. Paul

You have any pics? adjustable frame would be fairly simple what's on the top 2 pieces that over lap? What about the front where the doors are

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 05-28-2015 07:04 PM
thundervalleyoutfitters
UKC Forum Member

help over the rail

Ken The top is wide enough for the full size trucks. When you adjust it for a smaller truck the top hangs to the edge. It gives the hounds a rain roof, but is not too wide to hang over a small truck. No need to adjust the roof. I can't do the picture thing. I use 6" square holes with a divider. I keep mine back to the tail gate, so the front of the box need plywood. It holds 8 hounds and still room for gear or bait. Depth is not a problem. I use a rubber mat for the floor, so on the deep body trucks( like the tundra) I just put a 2x4 under the rubber matt in the front. No need to in the back. Good luck...Paul

Old Post 05-28-2015 10:10 PM
thundervalleyoutfitters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thundervalleyoutfitters Click here to Send thundervalleyoutfitters a Private Message Click Here to Email thundervalleyoutfitters Find more posts by thundervalleyoutfitters Add thundervalleyoutfitters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

bumping for a neat post

Old Post 04-10-2018 09:07 PM
Cliff Thornburg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff Thornburg Click here to Send Cliff Thornburg a Private Message Visit Cliff Thornburg's homepage! Find more posts by Cliff Thornburg Add Cliff Thornburg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote