UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best Thermal Vision for the Money?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Best Thermal Vision for the Money?

Hoping someone one here can help me pick out a good thermal monocular or binoculars for what I need…willing to spend up to 1500.00 but I’m thinking 7 to 8 hundred dollar range…

I would like decent battery life and really good thermal vision to about a quarter mile…will be hunting coyotes and mostly hogs…

I don’t need a bunch of gadgets, just the basics to keep it dependable and maybe extra battery time…water proof would be a plus…

Also a decent night scope for a 22-250 or 243…

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-25-2023 05:40 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TN Quick Check
UKC Forum Member

I did a fair amount of research before I bought my Taipan TM19 it cost$1600. It is good for about a 100 yards. The distance your wanting your talking $3000 to $4000 at least to be able to tell what your target is.

Old Post 02-26-2023 01:25 PM
TN Quick Check is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TN Quick Check Click here to Send TN Quick Check a Private Message Click Here to Email TN Quick Check Find more posts by TN Quick Check Add TN Quick Check to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Pulsar Axion XM 30S is the best for the money. You can see videos of it being used and tested on youtube.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 02-27-2023 02:57 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

AGM ASP-Micro TM-160 Thermal Monocular
This thermal works just fine for coon hunting, and won't break the bank.

Old Post 02-27-2023 03:17 PM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

question ........

I looked through two differnet models one night buddy hunting.
One guy had a 19 and the other guy had a 25 . They wasnt arguing about which is better but I did look through both ( coon in squirrel nest) cause i was wanting to investigate to see if one was better than the other. It seemed to me the 25 was way better .
For you all who know about these things , could the other guy with the 19 have settings not been right ? OR is a 25 actually better ?

Thanks !

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 02-27-2023 06:59 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TN Quick Check
UKC Forum Member

You can only adjust the focus at one end on the 19, on the 25 you can adjust the eye piece too.

Old Post 02-27-2023 07:07 PM
TN Quick Check is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TN Quick Check Click here to Send TN Quick Check a Private Message Click Here to Email TN Quick Check Find more posts by TN Quick Check Add TN Quick Check to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I looked at and used several of buddies before I settled in and bought one, and to me you just can’t beat the 25 for the $$. I don’t need anything better than what I’ve got.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 02-27-2023 07:34 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjennings
UKC Forum Member

Is it the ASP 25 or the AGM Taipan 25?

Grntch ch Goldch Tree Shakin Jed
Grntch Silver ch Stylish Dirty Dave

Old Post 02-27-2023 09:00 PM
mjennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjennings Click here to Send mjennings a Private Message Find more posts by mjennings Add mjennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Mine is the ASP 25, they discontinued them. But if you can find one I like it better than the Taipan 25, they was the same clarity to me, but the ASP had a wider view than the Taipan.

Here’s a video I took with mine, I know there’s better ones out there, but this one is good enough for me.
https://youtu.be/fZQZbM58mVQ

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Last edited by jkidd1 on 02-27-2023 at 10:03 PM

Old Post 02-27-2023 09:51 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coonbone

I've been looking at videos of this Micro-TM-160 on youtube. Looks like it would be great for coon hunting.

Old Post 02-28-2023 04:12 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:

X2... You're not going to be counting his whiskers with it, but you'll know if he's there or not.

Old Post 02-28-2023 02:44 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KYBlue Cooner
X2... You're not going to be counting his whiskers with it, but you'll know if he's there or not.
To save $800, I'll just skip the whisker counting.

Old Post 02-28-2023 02:55 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyRingo20
UKC Forum Member

Anyone used the agm tm10?

Old Post 02-28-2023 07:29 PM
JohnnyRingo20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyRingo20 Click here to Send JohnnyRingo20 a Private Message Find more posts by JohnnyRingo20 Add JohnnyRingo20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I bought one of these. I couldn't find a coon with it. I saw six coons while using it and nothing showed up on this micro. Last night one was showing me 2 eyes and nothing on the thermal.

Old Post 03-30-2023 12:54 AM
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I bought one of these. I couldn't find a coon with it. I saw six coons while using it and nothing showed up on this micro. Last night one was showing me 2 eyes and nothing on the thermal.

I'm using the one i told everyone about. I use the red hot setting on the thermal. It works great. If your not seeing heat with the thermal from the coons you've seen, the cap is still on the end of the thermal, or you have one that is broke. Can you see the tree, through the thermal?

Old Post 03-30-2023 02:29 AM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Flint
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TN Quick Check
You can only adjust the focus at one end on the 19, on the 25 you can adjust the eye piece too.

You can adjust eye piece and end on a 19 I own one

Gr Nt Ch "PR" Flint's Terrible Tiny
(Tammy X Wootens Ohio River Duke)
Gr Ch Gr Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Rat Poison
( Rat Attack X Hot Pepper)
Gr Nt Ch Gr Ch "Pr"Flint's Pine Knot
(Iron Eagle X Hot Pepper)
Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Jody
Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Big E
(Rat X Tiny)
Ch Nt Ch "Pr"Flint & Chilzers Rat's Boy
( Rat X Pepper)
Nt Ch Ch "Pr" Torch's Hot Pepper
(Torch X Tammy )
=4 wins to GR Nt(1999 Southeastern Treeing Walker Days High Scoring Opposite Sex Winner)
Nt Ch "Pr"Torch's Hot Son
(Torch X Tammy)
Gr. Nt. Ch. "Pr" Flint's Spider Monkey -2 time double cast winner at TWBFA Days
(Gr Nt Ch Honey Creek Spider x Nt Ch Gibbies Easy Money)
Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slingin Daisy May
(Big E X Slobber Slingin Poison)
Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slinging Iron Butterfly
(Gr Nt Ch Gander x Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slinging Daisy May)
Nt Ch Flint’s Tiger Lilly
(Gr Nt Ch Martin’s Hardwood Solo x Hoy’s Treetop Mandy)
Nt Ch Flint’s Sod Buster
(Camo Man x Slobber Sling Daisy May)

Old Post 03-30-2023 03:24 AM
Steve Flint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Flint Click here to Send Steve Flint a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Flint Find more posts by Steve Flint Add Steve Flint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I bought the agm taipan 19. I’m happy with it so far, the only thing I don’t like about it is the fact that it doesn’t create coons that aren’t there 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 03-30-2023 04:20 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

I had to play with the settings on mine before I found it reliable. For me, the purple/yellow (don't know what its called) setting works best. And sometimes I still have issues with the contrast. One thing I found works is when you look up the tree, use your off hand to "dull down" the tree. Put your hand flat on top of the thermal and start to lower your pinky over the lens. If the lens barely picks up the bottom of your finger, the tree won't be as bright and the coon will show up better. Sorry if my explanation isn't very good. Give me a call if need be and I can try to explain it better.

Old Post 03-30-2023 02:47 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I'm using the one i told everyone about. I use the red hot setting on the thermal. It works great. If your not seeing heat with the thermal from the coons you've seen, the cap is still on the end of the thermal, or you have one that is broke. Can you see the tree, through the thermal?
I can see the tree and I can see my mules in the pasture, but I can't see a coon in a tree when I'm looking at the coon. I guess I'll have to save 100,000 more pennies.

Last edited by shadinc on 03-30-2023 at 11:54 PM

Old Post 03-30-2023 03:49 PM
J.R.__Ratliff
UKC Forum Member

I have the AGM Taipan 10 you definitely can’t beat it for the price. I gave $750 for mine but I got it when they first came out on the market. I have seen them for around $550 now like on Amazon and other places. Here is a video I seen on YouTube that convinced me to get it.

https://youtu.be/WjQ-4MDA67M

Old Post 04-02-2023 08:31 PM
J.R.__Ratliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R.__Ratliff Click here to Send J.R.__Ratliff a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R.__Ratliff Visit J.R.__Ratliff's homepage! Find more posts by J.R.__Ratliff Add J.R.__Ratliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote