UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best age to start training on treeing/hunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

Best age to start training on treeing/hunting

Since I am new to coonhounds, I am wondering what is the best age to start a pup with treeing/hunting? I know it's best to start obedience training right away, the pup we are getting from Ken Duncan will be 8 weeks old when we get her. He lets his pups go at 8 weeks if they are being shipped. We have not found someone to get a male from yet though. We are on Ken Duncan's waiting list for a pup, so we won't have her for awhile.

Also, how do you train coonhound pups to tree/hunt if your area doesn't have coons? We found out that there aren't coons here, just skunk. We have deer, wild turkeys, canadian geese, tons of birds here...but we have yet to see any coons. We thought there were coons here because of the land and the woods but we have yet to see any signs of any. We want to keep the coon-hunting in the bloodlines.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-2019 05:16 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

Read Walk with Wick

Iím no expert, but there are lots on here 😁. The Walk with Wick books are good reads and very informative. He recommends waiting until the show interest in a caged coon, and donít try too much other than obedience training before 8 months.

Old Post 03-17-2019 08:12 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

I just bought those 2 books from Mark Zepp who is a vendor on here. Hopefully they will arrive soon and I can read through them

Also, how do you train coonhound pups to tree/hunt if your area doesn't have coons? We found out that there aren't coons here, just skunk. We have deer, wild turkeys, canadian geese, tons of birds here...but we have yet to see any coons. We thought there were coons here because of the land and the woods but we have yet to see any signs of any. We want to keep the coon-hunting in the bloodlines.

Old Post 03-17-2019 08:15 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

You got me there

I guess you could move 😂. That seems odd that you would have all the other animals normally seen in coon habitat, but no coons. I would check for yourself before just taking someoneís word. You could try setting out trail cameras to scout for deer. I always found more Coon than deer, so I got a coondog 😂

Old Post 03-17-2019 08:57 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

My daughter was stationed in Almagardo New Mexico, the few times I visited we always seen coon in the trash.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&Rís Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 03-17-2019 10:10 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Click Here to Email nitehunter2004 Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

if there is no coon in your country.. how do you plan on training a coonhound ..better get a big game hound. jmo

Old Post 03-17-2019 11:29 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jreeves
New UKC Forum Member

Pup

I have an 7 month old out of kens hounds. He will bark at a coon. Trails around when he finds a track, but hasnít opened yet. I have been letting the girls bench show him. He has won 2 best in class and 2 best in breed. He is a really nice hound. He is out of chase and carol. Good luck with your pup.

Old Post 03-18-2019 12:39 AM
Jreeves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jreeves Click here to Send Jreeves a Private Message Click Here to Email Jreeves Find more posts by Jreeves Add Jreeves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

Awhile back I had a very interesting conversation with a man who lived in NM. They do have coons but most are along waterways, rivers ect. They do not live in trees but in holes in the ground because of the extremes in temperatures. He pack hunted with 2 dogs that acted much like bay dogs you would use on other types of game as many of the coons were bayed on or in the ground or in the water as the trees were scarce away from the rivers and very small brush type instead of the hardwoods like we have. They made very few "trees". Water races and field trials were much more popular than coon hunts.

GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA
GRCH GRNITECH PKC GCH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMI-FINALIST. 2016 UKC TOP 20. 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE. 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4. 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION
NITECH PKC CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION

Old Post 03-18-2019 01:23 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

I am not saying there arent any...we just havent seen one live. We have seen plenty of squirrels, wild turkey, mule deer, coyotes, skunks (more so dead on the roads), pheasant, but so far no real signs of coons. No tracks...no nightime sightings..so we arent sure.

And whats weird...we live near the San Juan River. Its only like 250 ft away from our house....this area is like high desert, sandy, lots of cottonwoods, salt cedar, russian olive. No pine trees.

Last edited by tjcc1978 on 03-18-2019 at 01:30 AM

Old Post 03-18-2019 01:27 AM
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Move.... as fast as you can! It would be hard to imagine life without a huntable coon population. You could always squirrel hunt them to though.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 03-18-2019 11:26 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

We are not moving....

Old Post 03-18-2019 02:48 PM
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

Our first pup will be a female. She will be around 8 weeks when we get her, and I know to start obedience and potty training right away. But since we don't seem to have raccoons here, she may not be a coon huntin' dog. More like a squirrel hunter. Who knows.

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:07 AM
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

If you have land to hunt, I suggest you take a feeder bucket or some sort of attractant and put it out with a camera on it. Find out for sure about your coon population, imagine itíll be hard to coon hunt without coons.

Old Post 04-18-2019 03:55 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

I know that, no coons, no hunting coons...which is why I may have to train with squirrels. Otherwise, our pup will not be a hunter.

Old Post 04-18-2019 04:07 AM
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

My guess is our girl will likely end up being a family dog.

Old Post 04-23-2019 02:43 AM