UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? Dog losing hair?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Mullins
UKC Forum Member

? Dog losing hair?

I have hunted my old dog hard for the Last month on bear. He is 11 years old used for a strike dog.
He is losing hair, took to vet, no mange, no fleas or parasites vet found no problems. I did change dog feed to southern states 24-20. I am wondering if he is overheating causing this problem?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-06-2018 05:24 PM
Larry Mullins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Mullins Click here to Send Larry Mullins a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Mullins Find more posts by Larry Mullins Add Larry Mullins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I have one that I go through this all the time with. I’ve tried different feeds as well as special shampoos. The shampoos worked until this year. Eat carrying a different brand. She still gets bathed about 3 times a week but she still looses her hair. Most of it is on her sides

Old Post 09-06-2018 08:23 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

cortizone

I had one do this once time. Vet told me it was allergies. Dogs don't express them through their nose like humans, but through their hide and hair rather. He gave her a cortisone shot and it all cleared up in a couple weeks. Might give it a thought? Its prime allergy season right now with blooming of weeds and late grass spores!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-06-2018 08:29 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

TylerOSU

X2, Hunting partner recently had same issue with allergy, dog was shedding excessively after already shedding in the summer, vet treated for allergies, solved the problem. Dave

Old Post 09-06-2018 08:43 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

The saying hunting the hair off of them is a true statement I’ve seen it in foxhounds and deer dogs. But my coondog seems to loose hair due to allergy (I thought cedar chips were going to kill her) and whenever I change up food. Comes and goes in waves doesn’t seem to afttect her she just looks plum funny for a short time.

Old Post 09-07-2018 01:47 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Since going to a grain free dog food I’ve had zero problems with hair loss or hotspots.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 09-07-2018 02:46 AM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Allergies

Dog food and bedding is a good place to start.
I've had a couple that loose hair when bedding them with straw or feeding food with wheat in it. Lots of dog foods have some wheat in them.
Some do better on dog chow that is corn based.
I've also given 1 benadryl pill per day, if problem clears up after a month or so, it's probably allergies, you then have to figure out what they are allergic to.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 09-08-2018 01:05 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I know this subject has been beat to death but with an 11 yr old dog it could be his thyriod not functioning well, hair loss is a sign. Allergies to bedding, feed or other environmental factors could also be contributing as mentioned above. If he were mine I would switch him to a grain free fish or chicken based diet, clean his dog house out of any bedding there is then bathe him with T-gel shampoo and let it set atleast 5-10 minutes every few days for a couple of weeks. If that doesn't work see your vet for thyriod function test if it's good request an allergy shot. On a side note steroid shots also help old dogs that have arthritis so it could be a win win situation. Long term use can be hard on them but occasional can help through whatever is bothering him even if you can't pen it down.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-08-2018 03:33 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Mullins
UKC Forum Member

I changed my dog back to maintenance feed, he has already healed up and his hair is coming. He is starting to look like he might live.
Thanks for the replys.

Old Post 09-08-2018 07:03 PM
Larry Mullins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Mullins Click here to Send Larry Mullins a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Mullins Find more posts by Larry Mullins Add Larry Mullins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Redneck touched on an important point. Location of the hair loss is an important point. If it is on the rib cage and on the tail. Have a Thyroid check done.

Old Post 11-21-2018 11:16 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Mullins
UKC Forum Member

I actually did figure it out. My dog was allergic to the plastic barrel dog house. He looked really bad most of the hair was off his tail his hips and shoulders. I put him in a wooden house and in about 3 days started seeing a difference. He has made a total recovery.

Old Post 11-21-2018 11:57 AM