UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What do you think?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

What do you think?

Ok, here's what I had happen last night and I can't decide whether the dog was right or wrong. Dog ran a feeding track pretty good and got treed hard. When I got to the tree he was actually treeing on a large grape vine that ran up into the tree. I looked this tree over and there was no coon, but about five trees over there was a coon and he was very nervous and moving around. Vines and branches connected all of the trees and a coon could have moved. I have had them move a tree or two but this would be the furtherest. I might add I made the dog look for the coon and he checked around and checked all the trees and never barked again. I really want to know what you think. this dog is pretty accurate but has come up blank on a few persimmon trees this fall.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-20-2018 05:48 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

First he is your dog so what you think is all that matters. With that said, was he smelling up on the vine or was he winding with his feet up on the vine?
Pleasure hunting, he treed the coon. Comp hunting, he missed.

Old Post 11-20-2018 06:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Richard Lambert

Dang I am going to agree with Richard ! Pleasure hunting he done good, competition hunting he would be minused. Dave

Old Post 11-20-2018 10:43 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Maybe he did good for a pleasure hunt but I want my pleasure hunting dogs to be accurate. Just trying to decide if he was or not.

Old Post 11-20-2018 10:52 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

It’s youre dog you know him best do you think he had it or do you think he missed. As far as being plussed or minused that would depend on a lot of variables. Said there were five trees all conected with each other and the grapevine. Are those five trees spread out 10 yards apart or are those five trees within the wingspan or you’re arms.

Old Post 11-20-2018 10:52 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom

Only you know the situation as it actually happened, sounds like the coon moved through the vines, but WHO can really say? Dave

Old Post 11-20-2018 10:59 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Plus or minus up to the judge,if you like or not will be up to you. If you enjoy hunting the dog that's all that matters.

Old Post 11-21-2018 02:02 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

After 45 years of following dogs through the snow, if a dog trees on a leaner, vine, or smaller tree going into another, 9 times out of 10 I will find the coon at the furthest point from where the coon first climbed. I have seen it so many times that is where I start to shine.

I would say based on no other information your dog did what it was bred and trained to do.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-21-2018 06:15 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

X2

Exactly right.

Old Post 11-21-2018 06:44 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Yep

Old Post 11-21-2018 06:47 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well last night we treed three singles. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. I asked because I'm pretty picky with what my dog does and will let him know if he has missed but hate to correct when he's right.

Old Post 11-21-2018 08:27 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

When he gets to the end of the track and trees that's all he can do,no correction needed.

Old Post 11-21-2018 09:48 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well I've seen some who tree before they get to the end of the track. LOL

Old Post 11-21-2018 11:04 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
First he is your dog so what you think is all that matters. With that said, was he smelling up on the vine or was he winding with his feet up on the vine?
Pleasure hunting, he treed the coon. Comp hunting, he missed.

If the trees connect with vines or branches, ++++ him up. You have to show how the coon could cross out. Remember Tom Compton won a truck with Bone Collector in a similar situation, but his was in a hole that came out n looked.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-22-2018 10:11 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Hunting in the Super Stakes one year.. My dog was treed on a leaning den. I started blowing a squaller and beating on the tree trying to get him to look out of a hole. A coon crossed limbs from a tree over and went in a hole in the den I was treed on. If I had not seen it I would not have plussed a coon in the tree the coon came from....

Old Post 11-22-2018 12:14 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Coons can travel

Like a squirrel, coons can travel through the tops of trees. A friend of mine had a feeder in his back yard, we watched in amazement how they could never go to the ground and travel pretty fast from tree to tree. After seeing this, I'd give your dog the benefit of doubt.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-22-2018 12:39 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My young dog treed on a big oak one night and it was slick. While shining it I saw the coon in a pine tree next to the oak but they weren't touching. I figured that he missed but he got close so I would knock it out anyway. When I shot, the coon went running out a limb and leaped over into the oak just like a squirrel. So, I guess that my pup didn't miss after all and I changed my opinion that night of whether trees had to "touch" or not.

Old Post 11-22-2018 12:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Years ago, I had a dog make a tree at the last minute of a hunt that could win the cast for me. He ran a screaming hot track and came treed right. When we got there he was treed on a small pole type snag, about 4 feet away from a tall oak with a coon in it. Cast wanted to minus, but the pole had a small hole in it and I had nothing to lose so I squalled. That coon ran fast as he could down the tall tree and launched right into the top of the tree we were shining.

This time of year, I hunt some big islands covered in what I call 'possum grape' vines. It's not uncommon at all for a coon to start in one tree and feed into the next one. However, I think lots of times these community feed trees have so much scent that a dog gets under them and just treed in the vicinity.

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:24 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Theyre just dogs, snap a lead on him and go tree another one, there is no such thing as a dog that never missed.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 11-23-2018 12:04 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

They sure are just dogs. Tuesday night my dog treed 2 singles but made mistakes he just doesn't normally make. Even left one tree as I got to it after having been treed 20 minutes. He came back but got down and looked around before he did. Couple of tracks he worked and would locate and then go on and never finish the track. I thought what has happened to my dog? But Wednesday night he treed 5 on the outside in 4 different trees. on three of those trees he never said a word on the ground just got treed. Then last night treed 3 more on the outside. So one night i wouldn't have given $500 for him and the next two he looks as good as I have ever seen. Yes they are just dogs but I guess that's why I go back night after night.

Old Post 11-30-2018 06:30 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Tom,

If they all done it perfectly every night it sure would be boring... I guess... but I wouldn't know ,I never had or seen one... but I do hear about them alot...lol. Sounds like you have a good one, hope you enjoy him...Good Bless.

Old Post 11-30-2018 06:46 PM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I've seen coon cross trees almost like a squirrel, minus the jumping.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 11-30-2018 06:52 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I was hunting in Indiana several years ago with my friends at Randy Selby's. Dogs ran a good track and got treed. As we were going in to the dogs across one of those open fields we could see the dogs were treed on a fence row. When we got within 50 to 75 yds of the tree, we saw a set of eyes timbering out above the hounds going across those tree tops like a grey squirrel. Me and one of my buddies take off running to head off this thing that was running through the tree tops as we could't figure out what the dogs may have treed that could timber out like this thing was doing.

Well we got the thing stopped and it was now 40 to 50 yards left handed of where the dogs were treed but still on the same brushy fence row. Low and behold when we got it stopped it was in fact a coon. So when somebody tells me a coon won't timber more than one tree over, I tell them there are full of crap cause I have seen it with my own eyes. You will never win that argument in a comp hunt, but a lot of times a dog gets punished in a comp hunt when in fact they have done nothing wrong. So my words of advice is to NOT use the night hunt rules as a determining factor as to how much coon dog you are packing.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-02-2018 04:03 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvbushwacker
UKC Forum Member

Tom, you shouldn’t put up with a dog that almost misses like that. Now I’m not that picky so if you need someone that can overlook it, I’ll take him off your hands. Lol. Sounds like you got a good one.

'PR' MachineGun Mac

Old Post 12-04-2018 09:33 AM
wvbushwacker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvbushwacker Click here to Send wvbushwacker a Private Message Click Here to Email wvbushwacker Find more posts by wvbushwacker Add wvbushwacker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote